Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benitez Sacked?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i think its very naive to say rafa didnt trust Aqua.

it seemed at a certain stage rafa cut his losses for the season, didnt want to risk Aqua picking up another injury and keep him fresh for the start of the next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

THFC wrote: »
    Oh sorry, my humblest apologies. I didnt realise in order to have an opinion you must be like everyone else in Ireland and follow either United or Liverpool..:rolleyes: gman.

where did i say you couldn't give an opinion, did you even read the post??

i asked why so critical and you kind of went some way to answering that, truth of the matter though is liverpool were much closer to everton and spurs (mid table) in 2003-04 than they were to arsenal and man utd at the top, in 2004 they finished 30 points behind arsenal, in 2003 they finished 5 points ahead of everton and 20 behind man utd, don't forget liverpool were a team who hadn't won a league for 14 years when he came in and only finished 2nd once in that time

had he come in after dalglish then yes i would consider his time there especially domestically a failure but personally i think he took over a liverpool team in about the same position as what man utd found itself in november 1986

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

rossie1977 wrote: »
    but personally i think he took over a liverpool team in about the same position as what man utd found itself in november 1986
    Thats about the most ludicrous thing I've ever read on here.

United were in the relegation zone when Ferguson joined them. Benitez took over a team that finished 4th the year before he joined and with most of that team he won a European Cup ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

rossie1977 wrote: »
    where did i say you couldn't give an opinion, did you even read the post??

You said what have Tottenham, Everton and Villa won in the last 5 years for their fans to be criticising Benítez, which a load of shíte. By your reckoning about a quarter of the opinions of the people on here aren't valid, simply becasue the club they support haven't won much silverware. Bollox. I dont even care about the rest of your post tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

handbags.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

monkey9 wrote: »
    AHAHAHAHA!!! You call paying 20 odd million for Fernando Torres excessive!!??? Will you ever go and take your bitter blue bullsh!t somewhere else!!

Excessive :pac:

you might read some pre school books in english and go back to my post again son

excessive = expensive (ie: NOT a player brought up from Messers Benitez academy of coaching which I was referring to some other poster)

Benitez has only hindered talent if anything, god help any club he goes to, I hope they have a good financial advisor.

With Rafa one thing is clear, he is non refundable asset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

you mean these?
    scuse moi....:rolleyes:

I dont know the exact figure rafa paid for torres (and I dont give a diddly squat), but I do know it was excessive, I also know it for sure was not a 'nursed' talent.

rafa has nursed f**k all talent (more like hindered talent if anything)... and he has left LFC with their worst squad for years.

the only talent he has shown in recent years is to screw up and give idiotic press conferences, he hails his inter team after beating a team from the congo and has a go at the inter president to back him or sack him...:)

gotta love him.. inter would have beaten that team with a cardboard box in charge

Cant believe posters here are supporting a manager who has done an awful job for over a year and will most certainly be fired by inter .

but I am not surprised the slightest tbh, I think some ray ban quality rose tinted spectacles might be under some trees somehow
    lol

right, so obviously rafa is such a good manager he gets fired from him second job inside a year...

i see your point.

as for torres, dont know what you are talking about, some guy said torres was a resulf of the, erm, rafa benetiz foundation and i said , erm no he wasnt he was bought from athletic mardid for $xxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxx (insert hefty fee)

rafa is a conman, and seems to be alienated wherever he goes. I can imagine him at city, spunking 300 million pounds on 54 average players, getting city to 5th and making all manner of excuses before getting fired again and receiving another 6 figure pay out.

gotta love that man

i was hoping there would be some context that would change the meaning of you 'knowing that that he paid for Torres was excessive'.

it seems not.

monkey9, or anyone, could have had a go at a lot of your rant for being madly OTT, but he didn't, he simply told you the figure was 20m.

you didn't know the figure, but assumed it was excessive.

all he did was prove you wrong in that respect, and that it was a shrewd pice of business.

and you changing the English language to try and make excessive mean expensive, is a tad mental.

now, no doubt, a couple of little bits of your rant are based on a modicum of truth, but you really should concentrate on your own club, and how well you're doing, especially after a genuinely fine win at Eastlands.

but oh wait, even with our worst manager in donkey's years, and your lot beating us earlier in the season, we're still ahead of you in the table.

frightening isn't it?!

(shít, i just rose to the bait...ah well, we're all allowed a couple ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

you might read some pre school books in english and go back to my post again son

excessive = expensive (ie: NOT a player brought up from Messers Benitez academy of coaching which I was referring to some other poster)

Benitez has only hindered talent if anything, god help any club he goes to, I hope they have a good financial advisor.

With Rafa one thing is clear, he is non refundable asset

Aye, pre school english is probably the standard we're dealing with when it comes to your posts, alright

And listen, when you're posting your pure bull****, refrain from calling me son. Cos you don't sound that clever to be condescending towards anyone.
    I dont know the exact figure rafa paid for torres (and I dont give a diddly squat), but I do know it was excessive,

If you want to call the price that Liverpool paid for Fernando Torres as excessive, then go right ahead. I call it a bargain.

Anyway, i'll leave you to get on with your obsession of all things Benitez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

excessive = expensive

Just for the record - it's a no on this one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I dont know the exact figure rafa paid for torres (and I dont give a diddly squat), but I do know it was excessive

I do sit on your side of the fence with it comes to Rafa, but come on now, lets not get silly.

Young, world class striker for a fee in the region of £20m? Excellent business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Rooney10 wrote: »
    I do sit on your side of the fence with it comes to Rafa, but come on now, lets not get silly.

Young, world class striker for a fee in the region of £20m? Excellent business.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day..overall Benitez transfer is poor notwithstanding that Torres is indeed a talented player. However, any man that gets 2 multi-million pay-offs within abot 7 months is hardly a complete fool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Yep, I'm sure it had nothing to do with being given a chance to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world, in spain, the year leading up to the World cup. Instead, it was all because of Rafa.

Still living in blissful ignorance then?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/6127549/Xabi-Alonso-admits-he-wanted-to-leave-Liverpool-12-months-ago.html
    Benitez had wanted to off-load Alonso to Juventus in July 2008 to raise money to sign Gareth Barry from Aston Villa.

Alonso was disappointed to hear that Benitez was willing to let him go and resolved to leave when the right opportunity arose.

That finally happened when he joined Real for £30 million in August after revealing to Benitez that he wanted to leave the Premier League club.

"It was a very difficult decision for me to make," he told Sky Sports News. "After five years I have experienced wonderful nights at Anfield, to have experienced the support of probably the best fans in the world.

"That's why I have always been very grateful and I will always have them in my mind and it has been a pleasure.
    "Last year the club proposed me that I might have to be sold to find funds for new players.

"It was a difficult decision or difficult moment to accept that. I accepted that as a professional and that moment probably changed my mind and I thought that maybe from that moment that maybe it was time for a change."

Straight from the horse's mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

I wonder will Inter recover in time to mount a title challenge. If not come on Palermo! :pac:

But seriously theres a big chance for Roma or Lazio to do something big this season.

Rafas reputation might not recover from his run with Inter. I mean even with the injuries they have had those 5 draws and 4 losses really stand out.

Rafa is really good at getting the best out of his strikers. Mista, Torres, Eto'o have all excelled in his systems. I would go so far as to say bothe Torres and Mista have had their best seasons under him, although I'm open to correction on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This sacking is taking a hell of a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

#15 wrote: »
    Rafa is really good at getting the best out of his strikers. Mista, Torres, Eto'o have all excelled in his systems. I would go so far as to say bothe Torres and Mista have had their best seasons under him, although I'm open to correction on that.

Eto has had a good season but at the expense of Milito. He has only appeared like 9 times so far and most of them have been as a sub.

Getting the best from one of your two main attacking threats might be a criticism you could make at his system. He can only accommodate one striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

“ And then he replaced me with Lucas......"

att00001bn.jpg

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day..overall Benitez transfer is poor notwithstanding that Torres is indeed a talented player. However, any man that gets 2 multi-million pay-offs within abot 7 months is hardly a complete fool

the clubs who hire him and pay him the salary he is on are the fools.....

as for the torres jibe, i never said torres was not a good player, i merely was replying to an earlier post that said torres was a grand member of the rafa benitez youth policy or something... :rolleyes::rolleyes::)

I hope he goes back to Liverpool and get back to me again when he gets another pay day....

and i dont mean after winning the title ;)

Probably and two maybe's, very convincing alright.

Fúckin hell, it's like a cult, it really is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

People are forgetting that the two seasons before the Barry saga, Alonso missed large chunks injured plus he suffered really poor form on the field, who knows it might have being the kick in the arse he needed, do you think madrid in a world cup Year had any influence on his desicion, I honestly think if the Barry situation had not happened he still would have bring swayed by Madrid

niallo27 wrote: »
    I honestly think if the Barry situation had not happened he still would have bring swayed by Madrid

You are probably right - world cup year, Real Madrid, going back home, etc. But in the man's own words, the attempt to offload him was also a factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

He should go back to Valencia. He won them the title in 2002 and 2004 and they haven't won one since he left.

Plus he got them the UEFA Cup in 2004 aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

It's not like a cult.

It is a cult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

It's not like a cult.

It is a cult.

Are you sure you got that spelling right?

You are probably right - world cup year, Real Madrid, going back home, etc. But in the man's own words, the attempt to offload him was also a factor.

yup it was a factor and it was a decision a lot of fans agreed with at the time -Alonso hadnt preformed anywhere near his potential for 2 seasons...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

yup it was a factor and it was a decision a lot of fans agreed with at the time -Alonso hadnt preformed anywhere near his potential for 2 seasons...

Once he was gone it was blatantly obvious how much you needed him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Originally Posted by x in the city viewpost.gif
    excessive = expensive
    keane2097 wrote: »
    Just for the record - it's a no on this one...

[pedant]
    Excessive is a synonym of expensive. A word with identical or similar meaning. Saying that he is straight up wrong is actually incorrect. Just trying to correct the record on this one...[/pedant]

SantryRed wrote: »
    Once he was gone it was blatantly obvious how much you needed him though.

the team has a huge xabi alonso (08/09 version) hole in it yes, but would Xabi have stepped his game up in 08/09 if Rafa hadnt looked at selling him? who knows? because xabi 06/07 & 07/08 versions were passengers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

its official now, hes been sacked. statement just made about it.

yup, it's official.

Inter Milan have confirmed that they have parted company with manager Rafael Benitez just six months after appointing the Spaniard.

More to follow

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/9302348.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

It's finally happened and everyone is finished arguing about it already:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

3 days and almost 450 posts later and he's only been sacked just now?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The boul' Rafa's on the scratch

http://www.inter.it/aas/news/reader?N=35392&L=en

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Leonardo to be announced soon

As an inter fan good to see the back of Rafa. Was unhappy with him getting the job in the first place for the simple reason that any manager coming in after such a successful season was likely to fail

Not sure is there any one out there that is a step above Rafa that is available at the moment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

godtabh wrote: »
    Leonardo to be announced soon

As an inter fan good to see the back of Rafa. Was unhappy with him getting the job in the first place for the simple reason that any manager coming in after such a successful season was likely to fail

Not sure is there any one out there that is a step above Rafa that is available at the moment

Leo is a good coach, your players will die for him. Every single Milan player said that he was one of the best coaches they ever worked with, a lot spoke more about him in a year than they did in all of Carlo's time at the club, I think he is a perfect fit, he will train the players, work with what he has and let Moratti do the transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

godtabh wrote: »

This post makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Rafa at Inter was never going to work. He simply isnt a good manager to take over a club like Inter. Better getting rid now before he leaves them in the state he left Liverpool in.

PiE wrote: »
    This post makes no sense.

i'm guessing he means he likes Rafa, but knew expectations would be too high, which is why he didn't want him to take the job.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Leo is a good coach, your players will die for him. Every single Milan player said that he was one of the best coaches they ever worked with, a lot spoke more about him in a year than they did in all of Carlo's time at the club, I think he is a perfect fit, he will train the players, work with what he has and let Moratti do the transfers.

Why did he leave Milan? Was he sacked?

Warper wrote: »
    Rafa at Inter was never going to work. He simply isnt a good manager to take over a club like Inter. Better getting rid now before he leaves them in the state he left Liverpool in.

i've no idea why he took the job, him and Moratti was never going to work.

he left us in no 'state'; that's ridiculously harsh, and i'd have hoped that sort of extreme analysis was dealt with.

he underperformed badly on a much lower budget than he was promised. it's not like he destroyed us.

we were overstaffed, but don't listen to Roy in terms of the extent. he's had a penchant for exaggerating in order to serve his own purposes ;)

• Advertisement

Warper wrote: »

Inter simply arent good enough to deal with a coach like Rafa....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Why did he leave Milan? Was he sacked?

He deared tell Berlusconi to stfu in public and let the manager coach the team.

So Silvio sacked him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Inter simply arent good enough to deal with a coach like Rafa....

Jose did alright with them. Anyway as mentioned earlier, no surpises to see him sacked with his record and comments last week regards Inter before the fanboys start talking about his history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Seaneh wrote: »
    He deared tell Berlusconi to stfu in public and let the manager coach the team.

So Silvio sacked him.

which would be why the Milan team that he actually worked for, sacked him?.........:pac:

101001 wrote: »
    [pedant]
    Excessive is a synonym of expensive. A word with identical or similar meaning. Saying that he is straight up wrong is actually incorrect. Just trying to correct the record on this one...[/pedant]

it's not my fault people here are not versed on the English language..

so, farewell Mr Benitez, thanks for the, erm, memories...

Dr Galen wrote: »
    which would be why the Milan team that he actually worked for, sacked him?.........:pac:

no one can tell an italian chairman to stfu in public, nice call Rafa :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

[pedant]

I put an excessive amount of water in my cup?

Does that make the water Expensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

no one can tell an italian chairman to stfu in public, nice call Rafa :)

oh i'd agree X but just re-read that post again.....and think, which Milan did Rafa work for? ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

[pedant]

You can't even make a sentence where you replace 'excessive' directly with 'expensive'. They are in no way, shape or form synonyms (unlike 'way', 'shape' and 'form'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Couldnt believe Rafa took the job in the first place. Genuinely... There is no way anyone can follow Mourinho. He was bound to fail, mourinho had such a successful season, hyped even more so by the media and the defeat of Barca. For Rafa, who is such a devisive manager to follow a manager who has this almost untouchable persona... absolute madness.

Boggles the mind... almost as much as leonardo telling morrati to stfu causing berlesconi to fire rafa, milan madness...

Advertisement