Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lake is clearly walkable

Options
  • 20-12-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭

What do you guys reckon, to me it seems obvious that its walkable.

There are a couple of heavy traffic cones that people threw quite far out, they barely dented the ice, they're fairly heavy, surely the impact of them hitting would be greater the gently applied weight of a relatively light human?

They were breaking the ice around the edges with a mini-digger today must have been 4 inches thick!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jripper

I think people carried the cones out, there were footsteps out to as far as the fountain about 2 weeks ago. So yeah, it was walkable, not sure if it is now though. Wouldn't want to deter you from giving it ago (and from providing the students with some comedy if you fell in) but it has been consistently cold since the initial freeze up. So yeah it must still be walkable, sure give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Go for it, the ice won't break
    75378-TrollFace.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

And the folks in Vincent's are excellent at treating hypothermia, that's when you can be lifted out quick enough that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

The lake froze over and thawed a bit so what has now frozen again is fractured and would have cracks underneath. As far as I know the lake is a few feet deep so it would be a completely stupid idea. Someone died doing something similar up north last week

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

UCD, home to Ireland's brightest students. Christ, if immigration doesn't pick up we're all fecked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Cycle a bike out on it! Walking is for wimps

• Registered Users Posts: 26,412 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Honest to god, if you went under and couldn't find exactly where you had fallen in again you would be trouble on the way back up if you were unable to break a new hole out.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

errlloyd wrote: »
    What do you guys reckon, to me it seems obvious that its walkable.

There are a couple of heavy traffic cones that people threw quite far out, they barely dented the ice, they're fairly heavy, surely the impact of them hitting would be greater the gently applied weight of a relatively light human?

They were breaking the ice around the edges with a mini-digger today must have been 4 inches thick!!

Why don't you go check it out? Survival of the fittest and all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

ah, sure give it a go. If you fall in, and manage to get back out without drowning/hypothermia, you have a tetanus injection and hefty fine to look forward too!

win win situation....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭AkiThePirate

Just know the it's thinner at the edge.

My roommate fell in waist deep standing on the ice near the edge on a very cold day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Just know the it's thinner at the edge.

My roommate fell in waist deep standing on the ice near the edge on a very cold day.

So the OP should jump out as far as they can, is that what you're getting at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭AkiThePirate

Ficheall wrote: »
    So the OP should jump out as far as they can, is that what you're getting at?
    If they fancy demonstrating the mechanism of natural selection, then yes.
    I was just making a general observation pertinent to walking on the lake. ;)

Advertisement