Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

installed DD-Wrt on WRT54G - having some problems

• 20-12-2010 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

I stream a-lot of movies/music etc around my house, usually from 1 particular PC to the Xbox/PS3.

i was sick of the buffering lag etc while accessing my files so i invested in a second hand WRT54g router to put DD-wrt on it after much advice.

it was fairly straight forward from the DD-wrt site. seems to have installed fine anyway on the router. i didnt edit many settings (enabled upnp, set up wpa2 AES)

Problems being that it drops its wireless (not sure about wired) connections at least once a day. random times. simply no access to internet. pull out power cord and plugging it back in (temporarily) fixes the problem, but is very impractical.

While downloading torrents, the torrents DL fine and fast enough that im happy with them, but all PC's (including the one DLing the torrent)/laptops/xbox/phones/ipod touch's lose access to the internet. (FWIW the torrent wont be maxing out the internet bandwidth) Router has to be reset once the torrent is complete.
    Ive experienced this before with the UPC "EPC2425" router, and disabling "IP flood protection" solved it. is there something similar in DDWRT? ive looked through the setting finding nothing

lastly, how do i set up the bandwidth monitor thats built in for month-to-month analysis? in the bandwidth tab, it just shows current usage.

ive included a screenshot of the status tab. anything look weird?

prntscrn.jpg

thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

should i overclock the processor? its set at 200mhz. FWIW the room is cold...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

assuming that it's compatible and being as you're not already invested in DDWRT, would you consider trying the tomato firmware instead and see how that goes?

as long as you make sure you get the right version for your specific model of WRT54G you should be grand.

I have tried DDWRT several times over the last few years, but I always go back to tomato as its always been rock solid reliability wise. the only time my WRT54G gets reset is whenever my Sky+ box has a sh1t fit because i have to pull the extension lead out that the router & sky box are plugged into, but i regularly get 2-3 months without a reboot even though I'm a heavy torrenter on the 30mbps UPC package (200gb per month minimum).

its well worth a try anyway, its a lot leaner, cleaner and faster than DDWRT imho, and well worth a shot if you haven't tried it already.

head over to the tomato forum on the linksysinfo.org forums for more info.

Sound out Vibe666, i was actually hoping you'd find this thread and give some advice.

im really just looking for a built in bandwidth monitoring tool/good streaming capabilities. even as a techhead, i think there are too many options to tweak in ddwrt.

ill try out tomato.

im using the wrt54g v5

EDIT: ah balls, "This will not work on Linksys WRT54G/GS v5 or newer WRT54G/GS routers."

f*** my life.

off to adverts.ie again

ive bought 2 of these routers now. (first came bricked :( )

bugger, that's no good. :(

the wikipedia entry for the wrt54g has a complete list of model numbers and should give you a good idea of which ones to get. if you're going into a bricks & mortar shop or getting them off ebay, the exact model no. should be on the box and on the underside of the router itself so you know exactly which one you're going to end up with.

for the sake of a few extra quid, it might be worth just going for the WRT54GL from komplett or elsewhere online. at least you'll know it'll definitely work with whatever firmware you decide to use in the end.

i'm fairly sure i'm going to be upgrading mine soon to something a little newer as soon as i can get the new UPC 100mbps as I've been told the WAN port on a lot of the WRT routers isn't able for much about 30mbps and i'll be wanting something with dual band & dual radios so i can still do 2.4ghz 802.11g & 5ghz 802.11n wireless. don't know what my options are yet tho, will need to do some more research.

just out of curiosity, do you still have the bricked one? you can sometimes rescue them with a JTAG cable and a little bit of messing.

im thinking the same. might as well pay out for something with dual band and a usb port to stick on a printer and external HDD, but prices are still very high for those.

the buffalo WHR-HP-G300N looks to be a reasonable router, but still cheapish. 32mb ram and dd-wrt preinstalled it should eat any kind of traffic.

well if you upgrade your equipment, send me a PM if you're selling your old router.

• Advertisement

will do. just depends on when UPC get their finger out and give navan the 100mbps upgrades so i won't be holding my breath. i might well just get ahead of the game though and buy something if i find what i'm looking for.

i'll let you know if i get rid of the wrt54g tho.

Advertisement