Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip-off home insurance for bungalow in Cork

Options
  • 20-12-2010 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Am in the process of renewing the old home insurance but am getting screwed over this year by practically all the insurance companies (have so far tried 123.ie, Allianz, Aviva, Axa, Bestquote, Chill, FBD, Getcover, insure.ie, One Direct, Quinn, Quotedevil, Quoteme, RSA, TSB, Zurich). It would seem that the issue is that the house is located in Cork, even though it's not in an area that's liable to flooding etc. I've seen the quotes drop to half in some cases if I say it's located in Kerry or Dublin! Any suggestions of good value insurers from folk in Cork who've been through this head-wrecking exercise in recent times? Note that the house is a detached bungalow and Allianz is currently coming in tops, although it's still more than was he case for previous years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

You say the house is in Cork. Depending on where in Cork, the insurers may be applying a loading for subsidence, or may not want your business (due to subsidence risk) and so giving you an expensive quote in the hope you'll go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Yup certain areas in Cork will get subsidance loading against them so the premium will go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Don't think it's related to subsidance risk as I've never heard of anyone in the area (Carrigaline) having probs here. If it is specific to Carrigaline then maybe it's to do with a higher number of break-ins or something, but I found on at least one website that the premium didn't depend on where in Cork you said your house was. It was simply much more expensive for Cork than anywhere in say Dublin. I'm starting to think that the insurance companies have decided to make all of Cork pay for the flooding payouts in Cork city this time last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

they arent ripping you off if the whole market are saying similar. that would just be the price in consideration of the risk. if you believe that there is no risk of flooding or subsidnce then ask them to remove those perils.

i assume by ripping off youmean its higher than previous years? if so get used to it, especially if you have any claims in the last 5 years. rates are up about 15% on last year due to the cold snap and the folloding. all in all it was a horrific year for insurers and they are now trying to recoup their losses, just to put in perspective for you. find a broker who offers hiscox, but the market never lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Cork is always expensive, as everyone has said, Cork is a serious Subsidence and now flood risk.

If I were you, I'd contact a local broker or one of the larger Cork based brokers like McCarthy's or O'Leary's. As they are based in the area, they would be in the know of which companies would be doing the best rates.....they often deal with companies who do not have a Direct channel in the Irish market thus giving you more choice too.

I wouldn't compare Cork with Dublin, Dublin is on the other end of the scale, one of the cheapest Rating Areas in the country believe it or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭eurokev

The whole f**king country is just against cork boy like. Will ye all f**k off like to a wine bar or something boys like. Jealousy tis nanwful ting like, they wants ta get ya outta yere house so they can move inta it like.. langers

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

eurokev wrote: »
    The whole f**king country is just against cork boy like. Will ye all f**k off like to a wine bar or something boys like. Jealousy tis nanwful ting like, they wants ta get ya outta yere house so they can move inta it like.. langers

Doesn't Corcaigh originate Bog/Swamp in Irish? Kinda speaks for itself; the whole subsidence thing.;)

We're in the same boat here in Galway too OP, rates are gone though the roof too!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Tanx for feedback. Might try a broker so although I can't see the premium being anywhere near where it used to be at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭kmb

Hi
    I am in Carrigaline and my house insurance was €350 again this year based on a four bed semi detached.
    I did look for other quotes but noboday came close to AA insurance again this year,AXA was €755!!!
    What was the lowest quote that you got?
    Also have you dropped the value of the house inline with the housing market trends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Zurich told me they're not quoting for anywhere in Cork because of flood risk and everywhere else bar Allianz wouldn't touch our estate because of subsidence. Brokers were worse than useless (as an ex-broker myself my mind actually boggles at it). PTSB are doing 4 months free cover if you go through them (cover is with Allianz).

• Advertisement
Advertisement