Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Waits: Early Years vs Later Years

Options
  • 20-12-2010 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

I've observed I have a pretty distinct preference for waits's later stuff, as oppose to his slow, frankly dull earlier recordings.

Tom Waits - old stuff vs New Stuff 4 votes

Those were the days of roses
    0% 0 votes
    I am a raindog too
    100% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Totally depends on my mood tbh. I'd listen to God's Away on Business then Drunk on the Moon if the fancy took me ;) My favourite album of his though is probably Mule Variations which kind of has a mix of both worlds I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Once you listen to SwordfishTrombone's there's no going back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Love his later stuff such as Bone Machine, Alice et al. Amazing music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

bullpost wrote: »
    Once you listen to SwordfishTrombone's there's no going back.
    The title track off that album is fantastic. Gotta love the marimba and the double bass ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

I've observed I have a pretty distinct preference for waits's later stuff, as oppose to his slow, frankly dull earlier recordings.

Never heard of Tom Waits being dull...and I love all his stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Need a third option on that there poll: All of it! Like the other posters it's all about what mood you're in; nothing like a bit of 'Kommienezuspadt' to get going in the morning. And good to see that he is at last recognised as a national treasure: http://www.tomwaits.com/news/article/106/Tom_Waits_Rock_And_Roll_Hall_Of_Fame_Inductee/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

Need a third option on that there poll: All of it!

I avoided this for fear that a good demographic would choose it. I like to see the splits.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

Rain Dogs and Bone Machine are as good as music gets, the early stuff is charming but inconsistent at times
    Gotta be '83 to present for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

Can't really decide to be honest love all his stuff early and later.

Although i've always thought of Tom Waits discography in chronological order as the sound of a man's slow descent into madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

Can't really decide to be honest love all his stuff early and later.

Although i've always thought of Tom Waits discography in chronological order as the sound of a man's slow descent into madness.

I find Rain Dogs a real upper for some reason, probably because he seems to be delighting in the decadence he writes about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement