Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chilli Jam Too Hot !!

Options
  • 20-12-2010 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Have just made a batch of chilli jam with peppers, chillis, red wine vinegar, garlic, ginger and sugar. But when I tasted it I nearly exploded - think I put too much chilli in it and it is way too hot now.

How can I cool the hotness down?? Dont want to add too much more liquid as it will be too runny. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

PaddyJules wrote: »
    Have just made a batch of chilli jam with peppers, chillis, red wine vinegar, garlic, ginger and sugar. But when I tasted it I nearly exploded - think I put too much chilli in it and it is way too hot now.

How can I cool the hotness down?? Dont want to add too much more liquid as it will be too runny. Any suggestions?

How many chillies did you put in? Seeded/ deseeded?

If it was warm when you tasted it, it will cool down a bit. If you think it could take more sugar this will also cool the taste.

If you leave it for a few days it should mellow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PaddyJules

Think that is where I went wrong - I left the seeds in the chillis this time whereas when I made it before I deseeded them.

Think it is sweet enough so wont add more sugar. Will leave it to cool and taste it again tomorrow and see if it has mellowed. But will that mean that I wont be able to do much with it tomorrow when it is cold and more set?

Think that is where I went wrong - I left the seeds in the chillis this time whereas when I made it before I deseeded them.

Think it is sweet enough so wont add more sugar. Will leave it to cool and taste it again tomorrow and see if it has mellowed. But will that mean that I wont be able to do much with it tomorrow when it is cold and more set?

I think so - I don't know if there is any other way you could dull the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Theoretically at least, you could put in some powdered Caesin (bodybuilding/health store) and dull the heat that way. Caesin is a milk protein. It's the caesin in milk that relieves chilli burn so maybe you could pick up a small tub and mix some into a small test amount of your jam to see if it cools it without ruining the taste.

You could use milk powder too but that's going to have lactose in it which will add sweetness.

Note: keep an eye out for added flavourings in the caesin you buy, you wouldn't want that. I'm assuming you can get just pure caesin on it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Adding caesin is stupid, it will just ruin the whole batch, doubt it will mix well, and won't taste very nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Make more of the syrup - adding sweet pepper, then add the first chilli jam. Basically double the batch without adding the chillies.

Mellor wrote: »
    Adding caesin is stupid, it will just ruin the whole batch, doubt it will mix well, and won't taste very nice

It was just a suggestion. Thank you for being a dick about it.

Minder wrote: »
    Make more of the syrup - adding sweet pepper, then add the first chilli jam. Basically double the batch without adding the chillies.

that sounds good - careful with the sugar though, it may get too sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PaddyJules

Thanks everyone for the help. I liquidised a tin of tomatos and added abit of that to the mix with abit more sugar, which has taken the sting out of it. Actually when I tasted it with cheese and a cracker (yum) it wasnt as hot and in actual fact when I thought about it, I wouldnt just eat a spoonful out of the jar anyway!

Think I will just leave it alone now cos I might ruin it by adding stuff. Will just put a 'severe' warning on the jar to use with caution!!

Thanks everyone and a Happy 'Chilli' Christmas to you.

Actually when I tasted it with cheese and a cracker (yum) it wasnt as hot

Caesin FTMFW! :pac:

Happy Christmas, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

FTGFOP wrote: »
    It was just a suggestion. Thank you for being a dick about it.
    Awh did I hurt poor baby's feelings, GTFO

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Mellor and FTGFOP, give it a rest. Take it to PM if you want but don't continue it here.

Advertisement