Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from NUIM forum

• 20-12-2010 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I received a 7 day ban today for a "personal attack". I contacted the mod by PM but no luck getting it overturned. The NUIM charter states:

"Personal attacks will result in a ban. Repeated offenses will result in a permanent ban. This includes naming personalities from College in a disparaging manner."

The post in question is here.

As you can see the post does not personally attack anyone on the thread so the 1st part of that segment is not breached. The post refers implicitly and quite cryptically to a member of the Union exec who has never to my knowledge posted on the forum. I didn't name the person and disparage that name either and unless you were in the loop you wouldn't have a clue who it was referring to because there's nothing in the previous posts that in my opinion implies I might be referring to her.

Anyway, I think if you ban people for things like this, you're setting a bad precedent. I admit the post isn't subtle but it was partly intended as a joke. That doesn't excuse the crudeness of it of course.

Thank you,

LR

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Ah come on, you well know I didn't know that and the comment wasn't aimed at a poster in that thread.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm upholding the ban for the simple reason that you've violated the forum charter. SU elections can quickly turn into chaos on boards.ie for all the colleges unless a zero tolerence policy is used. The onus is on the poster to ensure that their post doesn't fall foul of the regulations before posting it.

How did I violate the charter? Spell it out exactly to me please. Also, it's fairly clear you haven't read the posts. Because they've nothing to do with the SU elections. Read them and then tell me exactly how I violated the charter knowingly.

Right, so the thread is about Union Council to give it its full title. Maybe I should have extended my wording to say anything involving the SU full stop.

• Advertisement

What exactly is the violation? You didn't answer.

Exactly as you yourself said it in the first post. You had a go at somebody that has been shown to be a poster on the forum, which the moderator has taken exception to.

Advertisement