Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi cast iron cookware?

Options
  • 20-12-2010 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right forum, I am guessing the knowledgeable cooks on this forum will have an opinion to share! Aldi have cast iron cookware for sale this week. Is it likely to be any good as it is a small percentage of the likes of le creuset?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have cast iron pans that were bought for £5 in Dunnes years ago and they are fantastic.
    I see no reason why these wouldn't be any good provided you season them well and look after them.

Edit:

I've just looked and they are not the kind of pans I was talking about - these ones are enamelled (ignore seasoning advise - except for the ridge pan).
    The look good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

How do you season them please

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hootanany wrote: »
    How do you season them please

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have a number of different cast iron casseroles, some I got in France and others I got here, only one of the 5 is actually Le Creuset.
    Now there are things that I like about Le Creuset their knobs are good and replaceable,not that I have tried to replace the others.
    Their customer service is good as well. But I am not sure that they should demand the price premium over other brands of cast cookware that they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Petite Treats

Hi,
    Like 'The beer rev' I also purchased a cast iron pot in Dunnes years ago and it is absolutely perfect. We also have a le creuset that we got as a gift and I honestly cannot find a difference between them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I've had one of the Aldi ones for a few years and it is fantastic. No different from le Creuset, as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

I got the cast iron griddle pan last year and its my most used thing in the kitchen now. Steaks have never tasted so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

I have the Aldi cast iron griddle pan and casserole dish. Tbh, I haven't used either alot, though I have used them a bit and I am impressed with them. The casserole (dutch oven) is very similar to Le Creuset, and with either of them all it needs is a chip in the enamel to make it useless. So while I would love to own a pile of Le Creuset cookware, the Aldi ones definitely do the job. i think my heart would break if I got a chip in the enamel of a €100+ pot anyway. I'm too poor for that! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

senelra wrote: »
    all it needs is a chip in the enamel to make it useless.

Forgive my ignorance, but why? Does it affect the non-stick nature or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

TrueDub wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, but why? Does it affect the non-stick nature or something like that?

Well if the chip is bad, then you are cooking food on exposed cast iron (which afaik the manufacturers advise against). Also, there's the possibility of bits of enamel around the chip dislodging and go into the food. Nicks or chips around the side are fine, but a chunk of enamel missing down near the bottom of the pot wouldn't be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Appreciate all the answers, thanks. I, too, am too poor to want to throw out 100e worth of le creuset which is exactly what I am having to do with a 10 year old le creuset frying pan - and why I was hoping not to have to spend so much again!

Advertisement