Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2011 goals.

• 20-12-2010 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

The year's almost done and dusted so what are your goals for the incoming one?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Just to get as much mat time in as possible and dedicate myself totally to BJJ training as much as I have in the last 6 months. Up to now I was wearing a few hats but about 6 months ago I took off my MMA hat, and my Muay Thai Hat, and now only my BJJ hat covers my increasingly shiney dome.

My goal is 6+ hours per week every week doing just BJJ. Plus as much time as I can doing my rehab and prehab stuff to keep me on the mat more often. To get this amount of training I'm trying to make sure a few of my training partners lose their jobs. I've been spraying whiskey on all of their clothes so they get booted for being drunk but that hasn't worked so far. I moved to stage 2 this morning and strapped drugs to one of their legs... :)

I'd like to compete much more often too and thankfully it seems I'll get the chance this year. I'm looking forward to 2011 a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well I haven't been competitive since the ankle injury in June, but thats more or less resolved now.. So my focus is on dropping 15kgs, getting my last few points for my Judo Black Belt.. Then hopefully (non-Judo) I'm off to Lebanon in the second half of 2011 - If I get over, I'll try train/compete in the Middle East... Hopefully in Israel's Olympic facility @ Wingate University, Netanya.

I'm lucky in so far as I've time to train Judo most days, plus a free gym & physio in work, time to make them work for me now!.

I'm also very dedicated to this forum and try to promote it as a forum for all styles, even in real life I'm pushing it!.. I'd like to increase its membership & make it an even more enjoyable experience for its user's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

I will be looking at 25-30+ mat time per week so I guess a huge goal is to stay as injury free as possible.

I want to sort out all my flexibility issues too which is kind of an extension of number 1.

I want to have as much success as possible in all competitions I enter so I can prove to my friends and family that giving up work to train was a good idea! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Start training - that's the easy part - and keep training. Over the past three years I've started and stopped training three or four times, and for one reason or another (some through fault of my own) I've never trained for more than a month. So, come January I'm starting fresh and my goal is that by next January I'll have a year of consistent training under my belt.

I also want to compete in as many competitions as I can from the very beginning. Not with the view of winning (not yet :-p) but it's all mat time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hopefully I'll go for my next grading at the end of January/early February. I'll have to miss 4 months of training after that while I finish my masters. But, after that I want to get back into training and increase from 2 to 3 days a week, hopefully going for another grading this time next year. Ideally I'll lose about 8.5 kg over the next nine months as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Gorey_R

In bjj, i'd like to have >20 matches and win a tournament as a blue belt. And put in > 8 hours training as many weeks as possible.

In mma i'd be happy enough if i fought twice this coming year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

my only aim is to start a martial art and train hard and stick with it. work has held me back for ages but no more excuses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Good results at the ITF European championships in June and get my level 3 qualification in white water kayaking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Hmmm I'm going to make my goals as realistic as possible and aim to exceed them.
    - 250 hours of mat time
    - Drop a weight class
    - Get a better Guilotine
    - Train in another country (even if its only England)
    - Compete in four Irish events including the three main (Irish Open, Dublin Open, Munster Open)
    - Compete in one foreign event (even if its only England)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Go up a weight class 76kg

Compete in as many international comps as financially possible, Euros in Lisbon, and worlds in LA are the biggest.

Train in the states this summer,

Develop my spider guard, half Guard, pressure passing, and wrestling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

- Continue practicing and polishing the Bujinkan basics

- Nurture the Bujinkan Kerry dojo to reach the highest standards in quality basics as received from my own teacher

- learn from my studnets as much as they learn from me

- return to Japan for the basics of the basics direct from the source

- revamp the website!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭colinlaird000

I guess my aim is to still be alive, injury free, and training as much as is possible with a 35 year old body who can only afford around 8 hours training a week (And dropping.). I hope to still be learning as much as my limited mind allows, and occasionally putting it to use in competition. More importantly, I hope I'm still enjoying it as much as I do now. Its what keeps me sane (ish)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

Compete in 5 international comps. The Euro's as well as the British Gi & Nogi, English and the IBJJF London opens.
    Compete in at least 5 Irish comps.
    To come away from every event knowing that I've given 100% in regards to both preperation and effort (if this results in a gold medal all the better)
    Develop a couple of solid takedowns.
    Continue to focus on becoming a complete player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Drop a weight class
    Enter as many BJJ competitions as possible
    Get past the first round of at least 1 competition
    Enter the MMA Leagues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Take 10 Thai fights and do all the MMA leagues, start training in MMA again. at least 3 gym session and 10hours of training a week

Well I haven't been competitive since the ankle injury in June, but thats more or less resolved now.. So my focus is on dropping 15kgs, getting my last few points for my Judo Black Belt...

How many points left?

EnjoyChoke wrote: »
    How many points left?

30 (approx 3 wins).. But I think under new rules I've to start a new account from January 2011.. No rush really. But I'm planning on heading over to Lebanon with the UN mid 2011 so it would have been nice to get it out of the way, plus at 44 I'm not getting any younger :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I plan on continuing my training in BJJ. Between work, the girlfriend and BJJ I have my plate pretty full. I hope to get in about 6 hours a week at least and when I'm on the shorter shift even more.
    I would like to compete in some Irish competitions this year, work and my level allowing.
    Above all else is to continue to enjoy my training as much as I have and to continue to learn every week.

I wish ye all the best in yer own goals for 2011, see ye on the other side!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DavidPhelan

Train, compete, win! That's the plan anyway! Need to significantly improve my top game and guard passing. Also have no wrestling skills and would love to train with a black belt, either John or at Roger Gracies in London.

Would love to win one of the big Irish comps which o know won't be easy but very possible. Continue to work hard at my guard and escapes from side control. Overall I'm pretty **** so just to be able to consider myself half decent by the end of the year would be considered an achievement!!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

I have to get in More hours training, try to up it to 10+ hours a week between Muay Thai and Bjj, gotta get back at the weights too, I will try to get at least 2 mma fights and as many bjj tournaments as possible. Diet has to be sorted something serious to Drop a weight class, maybe 2:rolleyes: and try to sort all these niggling injuries, plus get away to the Lebanon for 6 months hard training/dieting and working by the end of the year, Failing that it'll be a month or so training camp in Thailand:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Steba

>Go up two grades in TKD

>4 hours mat time a week

>Get my speed up for kicks, in particular my reverse turning kick

On a related note...

> Get my benching up to 95kg's ( Currently at 70kg)

> Max my chins up's to 25

On an unrelated note

>Get some study done for the leaving cert :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Continue on with Oyama Karate and hopefully get back into Judo as well.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Continue on with Oyama Karate and hopefully get back into Judo as well.

You've two very good Judo clubs down there in Kilkenny - LINK.

You've two very good Judo clubs down there in Kilkenny - LINK.

Thanks Alden Eager Railing. I have trained in Kilkenny Judo previously. I have a Green Belt. I stopped due to knee problems and Oyama Karate started up in the interim. The only problem is that the Judo and Karate class schedules are the same.

Thanks Makikomi. I have trained in Kilkenny Judo previously. I have a Green Belt. I stopped due to knee problems and Oyama Karate started up in the interim. The only problem is that the Judo and Karate class schedules are the same.

Judo can be a bitch on your knee's.. I'd literally thousands spent on physio for my knee's then changed club. My coach went ballistic when I did a drop seio, brought most of my techniques around Ashiwazi and I haven't suffered with my knee's since.

You can defo get around knee problems in Judo.

Its a pity you'd to stop at your green, hopefully you'll get back someday. Btw, the Kilkenny Open is on in Feb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

1. Bring in BJJ classes at my gym in January.
    2. Start to train in BJJ and train 2-3 times a week.
    3. Enter a BJJ competition and not get my ass kicked in the first 10 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RearNakedJim

Finally finish college, for good, so i can focus on training. Make this year the focus on Gi training. Train at least once every week but hopefully train more like 3+. Finally, get back to a competition weight.

Judo can be a bitch on your knee's.. I'd literally thousands spent on physio for my knee's then changed club. My coach went ballistic when I did a drop seio, brought most of my techniques around Ashiwazi and I haven't suffered with my knee's since.

You can defo get around knee problems in Judo.

Its a pity you'd to stop at your green, hopefully you'll get back someday. Btw, the Kilkenny Open is on in Feb.

Yeah Judo is terrible as far as trying to stay injury free is concerned. I wear those Trace kneepads but you still feel it. The clubs closing down every summer doesn't help you stay in impact condition doesn't help either.

After the March promotion I might try and work out something with the instructor so I can start taking the Judo classes again without deteriorating my Karate skills.

1, Get better or even back to my old standard at Kickboxing. I've let it slip a lot in the past year unfortunately due to exams and injury.
    2, Start training BJJ.
    3, Get at least 6 fights in K-Boxing or Boxing (hopefully win these :P)

• Advertisement

Yeah Judo is terrible as far as trying to stay injury free is concerned. I wear those Trace kneepads but you still feel it. The clubs closing down every summer doesn't help you stay in impact condition doesn't help either.

Just on the subject of injuries. When I was going through a particularly bad period with injuries and not wanting to give up a grappling art I considered BJJ as an easier alternative.. Because whilst people often think of Judo as a throwing style you must remember of the four ways to win a contest, three of them are on the ground!.

And lads who are injured in Judo (typically leg injuries) but still wish to train will often just do ground work until the injury is resolved..

Just something to consider.

Just on the subject of injuries. When I was going through a particularly bad period with injuries and not wanting to give up a grappling art I considered BJJ as an easier alternative.. Because whilst people often think of Judo as a throwing style you must remember of the four ways to win a contest, three of them are on the ground!.

And lads who are injured in Judo (typically leg injuries) but still wish to train will often just do ground work until the injury is resolved..

Just something to consider.

Thanks Alden Eager Railing. Too bad BJJ isn't available here in Kilkenny. :(

Mid year review: How's everyone getting on towards their goals.
    Killme00 wrote: »
    Hmmm I'm going to make my goals as realistic as possible and aim to exceed them.
    - 250 hours of mat time
    - Drop a weight class
    - Get a better Guilotine
    - Compete in four Irish events including the three main (Irish Open, Dublin Open, Munster Open)

250 hours of mat time-I had three months off the mats due to work but with work settling down to a nice pace, i have more time to make plenty of classes and open mats. I'm nowhere near half of my mat time goal but i'm confident i'll still get there.
    Drop a weight class-Three months with no training and my weight has ballooned. It'll be tough to drop a weight class, but i'll works towards it and maybe extend this goal into next year.
    Get a better Guilotine-Need to work on this. I did get two wins by Gullotine at the weekend though, more from scrambles than actually seeking them out.

Six months to go and plenty of work to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

In no particular order:
    • Drop from -100.5kg to -94.3kg
    • Fight more
    • Develop my BJJ fundamentals a lot more
    • Stop getting caught in armbars
    • Stop walking into the opponents guard
    • Beat people bigger and stronger than me with technical skill

Gorey_R wrote: »
    In bjj, i'd like to have >20 matches and win a tournament as a blue belt. And put in > 8 hours training as many weeks as possible.

In mma i'd be happy enough if i fought twice this coming year.

Half way through the year and i've had 13 matches, 10-3. I've managed 8+ hours most weeks and i've managed to win a tournament.

Have my first mma fight on the 23rd of this month so that goal is still on track too!

da-bres wrote: »
    Go up a weight class 76kg

Compete in as many international comps as financially possible, Euros in Lisbon, and worlds in LA are the biggest.

Train in the states this summer,

Develop my spider guard, half Guard, pressure passing, and wrestling.

went up the weight, feels good:)

Did the europeans, british open and 3 or 4 irish ones.
    london open, kent open and no gi britsh open ahead.

america will hold off till next year, when i have the funds. would like to go to a few different gyms, institute of jj, SBG portland, 50/50, alliance atlanta, marcelos, try and do a 2-3month tour.

happy with my progress in all the above games in the 6 months but still an incredible amount more to do!

• Advertisement

1, Get better or even back to my old standard at Kickboxing. I've let it slip a lot in the past year unfortunately due to exams and injury.
    2, Start training BJJ.
    3, Get at least 6 fights in K-Boxing or Boxing (hopefully win these :P)

Well I'm nearly there as regards my old standard. Need a bit more power in the kicks and I'll be sorted.
    Haven't started training BJJ, I simply haven't got time.
    Have had no fights due to fitness/injuries but I'm happy with my training progress thus far :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Just to get as much mat time in as possible and dedicate myself totally to BJJ training as much as I have in the last 6 months. Up to now I was wearing a few hats but about 6 months ago I took off my MMA hat, and my Muay Thai Hat, and now only my BJJ hat covers my increasingly shiney dome.

My goal is 6+ hours per week every week doing just BJJ. Plus as much time as I can doing my rehab and prehab stuff to keep me on the mat more often. To get this amount of training I'm trying to make sure a few of my training partners lose their jobs. I've been spraying whiskey on all of their clothes so they get booted for being drunk but that hasn't worked so far. I moved to stage 2 this morning and strapped drugs to one of their legs... :)

I'd like to compete much more often too and thankfully it seems I'll get the chance this year. I'm looking forward to 2011 a lot
    I really undersold myself. I train about 12 hours per week now and I'm very happy to have had as much mat time as I've had. 2 competitions done too so far so happy enough so far.

Richy06 wrote: »
    I plan on continuing my training in BJJ. Between work, the girlfriend and BJJ I have my plate pretty full. I hope to get in about 6 hours a week at least and when I'm on the shorter shift even more.
    I would like to compete in some Irish competitions this year, work and my level allowing.
    Above all else is to continue to enjoy my training as much as I have and to continue to learn every week.

I wish ye all the best in yer own goals for 2011, see ye on the other side!

Well, I'm still enjoying training. In fact, I've become a tad addicted to it!
    I get at least 6 hours on the mat per week, usually more. I've done my first comp and I continue to get better week on week.

So it would appear I'm good to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Now that Ive decided to rededicate myself to bjj and training in the gi I have a few goals.
    -get 8+ hours rolling in a week
    -Compete in The gi in at least 3 competitions. Probably Dublin, London and Zegreb and medal in at least 2
    -Catch someone with the X-guard sweep in competition(just a personal favourite of mine)
    -Get promoted before the end of the year

Oh and get my full driving license :D

Massive Bumpage here! Amost time for an end of year review and goal setting for next year.
    - 250 hours of mat time
    - Drop a weight class
    - Get a better Guilotine
    Mid year review: How's everyone getting on towards their goals.

250 hours of mat time-I had three months off the mats due to work but with work settling down to a nice pace, i have more time to make plenty of classes and open mats. I'm nowhere near half of my mat time goal but i'm confident i'll still get there.
    Drop a weight class-Three months with no training and my weight has ballooned. It'll be tough to drop a weight class, but i'll works towards it and maybe extend this goal into next year.
    Get a better Guilotine-Need to work on this. I did get two wins by Gullotine at the weekend though, more from scrambles than actually seeking them out.

Six months to go and plenty of work to do.

250 hours of mat time-215.5 hours so far. Looks like i'll make the 250.

Drop a weight class-No chance. Goal will rollover to next year.

Get a better Guilotine-Happy enough with this. The genuine threat of a gullotine has been giving me sweep opportunities. My game specific goal for next year will be to open up my guard and play a more threating open guard game. Gonna start with spider guard and build from there.

Tough year with work has limited my travel opportunities. Poor year on the Irish competition scene with the Irish Open and Dublin Open not happening. Munster was awesome though. Next year already looks like it will be better.

All in all, some good and some bad. More work to do next year. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

BrianjG wrote: »
    Drop a weight class
    Enter as many BJJ competitions as possible
    Get past the first round of at least 1 competition
    Enter the MMA Leagues

Done, Dropped from 88kg to under 82KG and still going.
    Missed, Had to skip a few due to injuries.
    Done,
    Missed, Want to get to mid 70's first and just didn't feel ready yet.

Nothing Martial Arts related unfortunately. The Oyama Karate club closed so that's it for my training for the time being.

I've been mostly concentrating on Weightlifting/Bodybuilding this year. I never Deadlifted before and I'm presently Deadlifting over 300lbs.

Achieved all I hoped to achieve besides competing at the english open and grapplepalooza replaced no gi british open.

The Good:

-Moved up weight from u70 to u76
    -Competed at 4 tournaments over seas, 10 in all (inc. next saturday)
    -Won a blue belt absolute.
    -Won an advanced no gi division with just over 3yrs training.
    -Got four stripes on my blue belt.
    -Started coaching :)
    -Over 900 hours logged on the mats this year.
    -Sponsorship with BIGSHOTS Sports Nutrition!

Goals For next year:

Compete at three IBJJF Tournaments.
    Get Purple belt.
    Train in the states. (New York)
    1200 mat hours.

Well I haven't been competitive since the ankle injury in June, but thats more or less resolved now.. So my focus is on dropping 15kgs, getting my last few points for my Judo Black Belt.. Then hopefully (non-Judo) I'm off to Lebanon in the second half of 2011 - If I get over, I'll try train/compete in the Middle East... Hopefully in Israel's Olympic facility @ Wingate University, Netanya.

I'm lucky in so far as I've time to train Judo most days, plus a free gym & physio in work, time to make them work for me now!.

I'm also very dedicated to this forum and try to promote it as a forum for all styles, even in real life I'm pushing it!.. I'd like to increase its membership & make it an even more enjoyable experience for its user's.

Got a lot of that weight off.

Didn't get my black belt (roll on 2012).

Wasn't successful in being selected for Lebanon.

Last, I feel the forum has grown.. We're attracting more visitors to this forum, and more subscribers from the more trad arts - I hope we can grow this more into 2012.

In fact its grown enough to have us appointed a new moderator (Doug Cartel) - who I certainly feel has been an excellent choice.

There or there about's with mine :)
    Missed a few comps earlier on in the year with the wedding but made up some serious ground in the last four months or so. Hit probably the best form I ever have in the comp just gone.
    Happy with how my game has developed generally.
    Takedowns are still a work in progress but they're getting there.

Goals for next year:
    Compete in the Euros.
    Compete in the big 3 Irish comps.
    Compete in the Big 3 UK comps.
    Compete in the world masters.
    Compete in a least one of the above as a Brown belt :)

Richy06 wrote: »
    Well, I'm still enjoying training. In fact, I've become a tad addicted to it!
    I get at least 6 hours on the mat per week, usually more. I've done my first comp and I continue to get better week on week.

So it would appear I'm good to go!

Getting towards the end of the year and I'd not set any lofty goals for myself at all other then to continue to get better and to continue enjoying training. I've only competed in the one comp due to injury and work stopping me on other occasions I would have competed. That was a learning experience and I feel I've come on in a big way since then. Whilst I'm not setting the world alight I'm getting better every time I train and I am still loving the absolute **** out of it!

Next year I intend on competing in afew Irish comps as often as possible in order to get used to it and hopefully I'll do ok.
    I'd also like to think I'd get to blue belt level at some point next year, but it's not the be all and end all for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭crosdad

Didn't have any specific bjj goals this year. but after i lost my first mma fight i decided to spend most my time training bjj as that is the discipline i enjoy most. in the process

Earned my blue belt

Won two gold's in irish comps

Placed in every tournament i enterd

Managed to qualify for grapplepalooza and compete with the top bjj guys in the country

improved game so much. Even thinking back from now to the summer, feel game has evolved and improved drasticly

crosdad wrote: »
    Didn't have any specific bjj goals this year. but after i lost my first mma fight i decided to spend most my time training bjj as that is the discipline i enjoy most. in the process

Earned my blue belt

Won two gold's in irish comps

Placed in every tournament i enterd

Managed to qualify for grapplepalooza and compete with the top bjj guys in the country

improved game so much. Even thinking back from now to the summer, feel game has evolved and improved drasticly

Probably the most improved guy in the country. In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭crosdad

Gorey_R wrote: »
    Probably the most improved guy in the country. In my opinion.

cheers rich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I thought I posted in this thread at the start of the year, but it seems I didn't.

Anyway, my goals were to to compete a bit more and to actually start doing my judo grades. I spent about 3 years as a white belt and I think I was starting to cod myself a bit about my actual level. As in, thinking shur I'd totally be a blue/brown/whatever belt if I actually took the tests. My other big goal was to try and stay injury free.

The year started off OK, I got my green belt. Then this recurring problem I had with my toes started acting up just in time for the judo inter-varsities. I competed in the middle-kyus and got a bronze, but wasn't able to continue on to the weighted divisions as I was in too much pain. Looking back, I should have just sucked it up and tried my best.

So I took some time off to get my toes sorted, and then just when I was all fixed up and a week before my blue belt test, I broke my clavicle. Usually this isn't that big a deal, but I managed to make a meal of it. This is what it looked like on the night http://i.imgur.com/azs7I.jpg, and this is pretty much what it looks like now http://i.imgur.com/gbdfc.jpg

Took bloody ages to heal up (had an infection in the surgical wound, shat bricks when I realised they were testing me for staph/MRSA, but it turned out to be nothing serious) and I'm only getting back into things now. All in all, my time on the mats was fairly low this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement