Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's been GOOD about 2010 ?

• 20-12-2010 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

I'm sure we're all a bit bored about the BAD NEWS that was 2010.

However I'm sure it's not all bad for everyone ?

From my own point of view the 'recession' has given me more time for hands on activities regarding recording.

I've managed to get together a nice little mix room for such activities.
    I got to visit BBC Maida Vale.
    I did a Protools mixing course with George Shilling.

Also the 'recession' has brought out my two buddies who play drums and guitars as they too have more free time.
    Rehearsals for our New Wave/Powerpop band are already afoot.

What's your good news story ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

The influx of fresh meat into the prostitution market has meant prices have plummeted. Great days!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

graduated college at the ripe old age of 33 :D

got a job in a studio :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

The influx of fresh meat into the prostitution market has meant prices have plummeted. Great days!!!

Bangin ! .... as it were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

graduated college at the ripe old age of 33 :D

got a job in a studio :D

where's that green live room pic from?

where's that green live room pic from?

the one with all the recycled wood? its a studio in switzerland. a possible direction we were thinking of going with the room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

looks great! And thrifty! I have a room with a similar shaped ceiling. I wonder how it sounds.

the guy who built it has graphs posted of the response on his site, supposed to sound great. it was in sound on sound back in the october issue.

i'll hunt out the name of the studio for you.

I just posted some of the tracks we've been doing at -

http://www.myspace.com/nutheadsproductions

The usual story - all recorded in a day or two (except for the Ross Breen track which was recorded in lots of places) and Mastered by Richard in WAV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Yeah this year has been one of the hardest but best years for me.
    Came back to Ireland and had to move back in with the folks(nightmare)whilst the missus had to move 3 hours away to Waterford.

Learned to drive(I know,Im definetly way behind on that front)

Got a job and bought a house all in the same week(hopefully be surprising the missus with said house for her birthday on the 28th,nightmare try to keep it from her but it should be enough to keep the ring off her finger for another year or two :D)

No real progress on the music front.Practicing bass and got a few good pieces of gear is about the height of it.
    Reconnected with some mate from school who are doing some interesting musical projects so hopefully be doing something with them in the new year.

Loving being back in Ireland after so long away.:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Great year on many levels.

Started a record label/blog thing that has been going from strength to strength. Got to make people aware of some really great music and meet a lot of great people through it. We have our first physical release coming out in January that features 13 great bands, all from Ireland.

Studio-wise it's been quiet enough, but I've been too busy for it to be much more. I've been concentrating hugely on quality over quantity and the results of that have paid off big-time. Haven't really bought any gear but I've really gotten to know everything that I have already. Did a lot of location work as well which has been challenging and intensely rewarding, got to work with some really great bands, some real professionals.

Musically I've been involved in several bands over the year, everything from solo stuff in my bedroom to the Electric Picnic. Played some great gigs and have had a generally great time in venues all over the country.

Also started writing about music far more seriously which has led me to work with some of the most passionate and intelligent music lovers in the country at almost every decent music website out there. Got to attend endless amounts of truly stunning gigs and call it work.

So yeah, decent year on the music front!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Now that you mention George Shilling I was at a masterclass he was presenting at Queens Uni Belfast about diversification a couple of weeks ago. He has had a very interesting career. Very nice man!

Then a more iffy one about mastering by some fellow after thim. Still though! GOOD NEWS!

seannash wrote: »
    Learned to drive(I know,Im definetly way behind on that front)

Chief .... I learned to drive when I was 42 ! I bought my first car, a modded Paul Smith Mini before I could drive ...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Platinum Recording

recovered from a back operation
    completed the studio build
    opened up for business in November

bring on 2011:):)

bbk wrote: »
    Now that you mention George Shilling I was at a masterclass he was presenting at Queens Uni Belfast about diversification a couple of weeks ago. He has had a very interesting career. Very nice man!

Then a more iffy one about mastering by some fellow after thim. Still though! GOOD NEWS!

George is a very cool guy .

We nearly had him over ourselves for a Seminar this year but diaries collided - perhaps in 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

Bought an SSL X-Desk to replace my Mackie 1402. One of the best purchases I've ever made!

splitrmx wrote: »
    Bought an SSL X-Desk to replace my Mackie 1402. One of the best purchases I've ever made!

Did you get it from us ? A great, if a bit ugly, tool !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I completed 10 months of recovery from a back injury by mid spring to coincide with the release of my 6th album and then spent much of the summer performing the material at festivals and galleries.

In October I started into the next project which took me to Berlin to do field recordings and I'll be back there next month to complete those before getting down to serious writing/recording for the winter and then resurface to pass on the results for mixing/mastering around April next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Some recordings in Uni so gained a good few contacts.

I get to shadow an engineer every Saturday at a popular venue in Cardiff.

Best thing is, I'm going to be engineering my first gig New Years eve in Dublin. Should be a great experience.

Need to play more guitar though, if anything, 2010 has shown me that lack of practice will hinder my playing.

Ah well, bring on 2011. :D

Happy Christmas all.

edit: Can't forget the seminar with Tony Platt (producer/engineer AC/DC (Back in Black), Gary Moore, Bob Marley and more).
    Was extremely interesting and was a joint day with guys from a mastering studio based in London. I learned a lot that day, there are some great minds in the music industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

I've bought only one bit of kit all year, so i've been force to learn what i already had.

Been more involved with a netlabel which has forced me to finish off tracks.

Managed to play out a few ableton live sets, rather than just DJ'ing, hopefully do more of this next year.

And have started collaborating with a guy i met thru collage, first track is almost done and we're both liking the results, we both work in different ways and the collab is teaching us both new production techniques, we've planned to take this act out live eventually, like a real band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Got a new car, got new microphones, got a nice handly little m audio mixer. Met loads a great people in college that I think i can honestly say will be friends with for years and i discovered the music production section on this website where i can ask for advice on any problems :)

cheers for a great 2010 but i have a feeling 2011 is going to be better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

The best o' 2010:

Was introduced to the wonderfull (and complex!) world of recording!
    Got my first external interface.
    Daft Punk's Tron OST arrived (finally).

And most importantly.....got a harmonica!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭JJV

Finally got around to making some recordings of piano compositions that are years old. I really enjoyed getting away from the computer screen; the sound of the pedals, the out-of-tune-ness of an upright, the noises of traffic, kids, etc passing the house. There's a lot to say for a more "organic" approach.

You can have a listen here:

http://soundcloud.com/jj-vernon/sets/piano-compositions

Project now for 2011 is to notate them all, add some others & finish some more off.

www.jjvernon.com

Advertisement