Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure about LL

Options
  • 20-12-2010 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

We looked at an appartment last week and liked it - agreed with the LL that we would move in on the 3rd January. Months deposit and month, and rent to be paid by standing order on the 4th of every month. All fine with me.

Got a text from him a couple of days later giving me his bank details. I set up a standing order and also added him as a beneficiary to my account so I could make the initial month in advance and months deposit payment. Texted him back to say that it was set up, but I was waiting for the activation code which comes through the post.

At this point there had been no mention of the lease, so, not wanting to transfer any money until this had been signed, I sent him a text asking him when we would sign the lease. He wrote back saying that he would send one through email.
    This was followed by another text from him asking me if I had sorted out the deposit yet.

A couple of things bother me slightly.

1)The lease being sent through email - surely we should be signing it in front of each other?
    2)He seems very eager to get his hands on the deposit and month in advance. Considering we are not moving in until the 3rd, and we have not yet signed the lease,I really do not want to hand over the money.
    3)The appartment is not registered as a rented property.

Just looking for other peoples opinions on this. Maybe I am being unneccesarily cautious, but I don't want to end up with any problems down the line....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I wouldn't pay anything until the lease is signed. It doesn't have to be signed in person though. He emails you the copy, you sign and post it to him.

Make sure it's registered with the PRTB.

Then make payment plus deposit once you have the keys and can move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

don't pay anything until you sign a lease, get the keys.

tell him you are not happy signing an 'emailed' lease, you would prefer to sign it in person with him present.if he doesn't want to do this then walk away. there are lots of places out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

3)The appartment is not registered as a rented property.
    He doesn't have to register it until there is a tenancy i.e. until you move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Its not unusual for a LL to ask for a deposit (part or full) in advance, especially if they are holding the place for you for a few weeks with no income to them (in your case its about 3 weeks?) so in his view if you didn't give a deposit now and decided in January to not take it, he has lost 3 weeks rent. I wouldn't expect rent unless lease has been signed. Maybe offer to meet him to review and sign in their presence. Usually i give my tenants a few days to review in case they want to change their minds.
    Just ensure you get a reciept for the deposit and confirm if it is a holding deposit also (One which you will loose if you decide to not take the property before the start date) or just a standard security deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Thanks guys for the responses

gibo - I should have specified in my original post - there are tenants already in the appartment which is why we cannot move in until the 3rd, so it is not a case where he will be losing rent.

I would have been a bit more at ease if he had requested a holding deposit rather than the full deposit and month in advance. Good idea to offer to meet him to review the lease.

who ru/paulw - would you normally get the keys before the deposit has been made?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Dont sign the lease until the day you are getting the keys.

Dont pay the deposit/first months rent until you sign the lease.

If he doesnt like this walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

He probably wants the deposit so that he can give the other tenants their deposit back - dodgy as it's actually your money which should be held. That might be why he wants it asap.

Regardless, I wouldn't give them the deposit or rent until I had the keys and lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

...would you normally get the keys before the deposit has been made?

no, you should do it all at the same time.

my ideal handover: you meet the LL at the property, everything is to your satisfaction, you've been shown how the heating works, you know where the stopcocks are, and you know when the bins get collected. you all run through the lease, any questions are answered, and all is fine. lease, money and keys are all on the table - lease is signed by both parties, LL gives you the keys, you give LL the money, he gives you a recepit.

job jobbed, everyone happy, no one asked either to give away keys with money, or money without keys.

i would never give a LL anything other an a holding deposit without a signed lease and the keys on the table in front of me, and as a LL i would never ask a tenant to give me deposit and rent money without giving them a a signed lease and the keys. no way, not ever.

Advertisement