Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tour of Flanders 2011

• 20-12-2010 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi

I need some advice from someone who has been to or knows about Tour of Flanders. This is a Christmas present. I have flights booked to Brussells but am stuck after that.
    Would appreciate advice on best place to stay etc..
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭montac

Hi Fiona,
    You can get some detail from the Tour of Fnanders website:
    www.rvv.be.
    If budget isn't a concern, then I would recommend their VIP tour. I was lucky enough to get a space on this earlier this year. It was a truly amazing day. We were brought around the course by a former racer as part of a convoy of offiicial cars. We stopped along the route and saw the race around 5 times, and got access to the grandstand at the finish line too. The car had a tv in it too, so we were kept up to speed with the race all day long.

It looks pretty pricey at €375 per person, but as a super duper special treat - it would be amazing.

On the other hand, all of the hills on the course are concentrated in a fairly compact area. With a bit of planning, a couple of bikes, and a map, you can cycle from place to place to catch the action. Plenty of locals do this every year.

It is such a brilliant experience - really worth doing. Although watching it on the Sunday is so much better when you've done the Sportive the day before!

Enjoy!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

A few pointers from my own experience, I'm sure others here will add their personal suggestions also.
    I am making two assumptions: Firstly that he/she will be doing the 140K and leaving from the start/finish in Ninove - and secondly that they will be arriving in Brussels the day before the event. It will be virtually impossible to get accommodation in Ninove as it is generally booked by people up to a year ahead so you have to look at staying in Brussels assuming that he/she will be going to the start by train on the morning of the event. There is also the option of staying in the lovely town of Oudenaarde (my own preference) but it does take a bit of effort to get to the start next day. The pay however it is the ideal base to watch the ro-race the next day. There will be no problem putting your bike on the train, there never is in Belgium but on this day in particular you will see bikes just about everywhere. The start is any time from 7.30 to I think 10.30 - so there will be no huge rush to get there very early. From my own experience of doing the event a few times I have come to the conclusion that a later start is preferable as the course will be less congested - a huge issue on the famous bergs in particular.

What a wonderful present by the way - lucky recipient! Please feel free to contact me if you need names of hotels in the area etc as I have been there quite a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I went there this year, I stayed in a wee town called Avelgem in this place http://www.karekietenhof.be/ Really nice place, the town is very quiet though and hotel is just outside it. The hotel rented us bikes, and we road to the race in about 30mins, Kwaremont and Koppenberg are the closest points. There was a video screen at the top of the Kwaremont and they have food, beer etc. for spectators.

We got the train to Oudenarde from Brussels, the Tour of Flanders museum is there. This town would be a good place to stay as the men's race comes through it and I think the women's race starts there, books up fairly early though. There is a bus that runs from Oudenarde to Avelgem.

Great race to watch, brilliant atmosphere and the locals are very friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sheepfield

Went last year: myself and my non-cycling wife, first time at one of the great classics. Stayed in Brussels which was a great idea. Belgium is small and once you can tolerate a pleasant train journey on the day of the race, it is best to stay anywhere in central Brussels - lots of decent hotels and in truth, its a fine city, no matter what is said about being boring.

The best places to watch De Ronde are either Koppenberg, about 60km from the finish or simply go to Gerardsbergen for the brilliant atmosphere (and drunken Dutchmen mostly) on the Muur. We walked from the foot of the town to the top but you will experience the party atmosphere wherever you stay in the town. Big screens show the action approaching and assuming you are partial to a good belgian brew (ignore Stella, Heineken, or any other commercial muck - try Rochefort/Chimay/Quak etc) its an exciting place to be.

In Irish terms its like the munster hurling final meets the Grand National on two wheels: hope you have a good time.

Im off to PARIS-ROUBAIX myself this year, minus my wife this time. Im bringing the bike instead!

We might be still speaking in April....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Fionacmurphy

Hi Michael, yes I looked at Oudenaard. Which hotel would you recomment? We are flying in on Fri evening and leaving Monday afternoon. Are we best to hire a car from the airport or get a train?

Thanks

Fiona

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Fionacmurphy

Well I'm the non cycling wife in this story & the trip is for my cycling mad husband, but I'll be there too. I think the Koppenberg is where he'll want to be. Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Hi Michael, yes I looked at Oudenaard. Which hotel would you recomment? We are flying in on Fri evening and leaving Monday afternoon. Are we best to hire a car from the airport or get a train?

Thanks

Fiona

De Rantere
    is a lovely small quiet hotel in Oudenaarde which had availability at relatively short notice last year. The Pomme D'or is right in the centre of the town and is also quite good - rooms are generally quite small in both hotels however - but very clean. The Steehuyse is a little more upmarket and ideal for couples - always felt it would be wasted on me as a single traveller, though I have rented bikes from the in the past. On an aside if you get there early on the Friday try to get out to the Koppenberg as there is every chance you will see some of the pro teams training. To get to Ninove on the Sat. morning he will have to get two trains, but both very short journeys. The event itself passes back through Oudenaarde after approximately 30 miles and the Koppenberg is about 3 miles from the town. If you yourself are not taking a bike - you will find bike hire in the town and there is a dedicated cycle path from just outside the town to the foot of the Koppenberg. On Sunday the ladies pro-race starts from Oudenaarde so there will be great activity from early on. The men's pro-race will then pass through Oiudenaarde later in the day and it is hard to beat the atmosphere at the foot of the Koppenberg where the crowds will gather frome early morning. ( I have some pics from last year on my Flickr account). One other point to note (and apologies if anyone here is fed up of hearing me say this) the RVV museum in Oudenaarde is a fabulous place to watch the latter stage of the race on TV - good food too. Incidently it is run by former pro- Freddy Maertens who is always a genial host to all visitors on the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

jaysus not Belgium, worked there for 6 months, place is a nightmare, terrible boring! enjoy:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Well I'm the non cycling wife in this story & the trip is for my cycling mad husband, but I'll be there too. I think the Koppenberg is where he'll want to be. Thanks for the advice!

Best part is the steepest section where the telly camera is, but you will need to get there early to get a good spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

sheepfield wrote: »
    Went last year: myself and my non-cycling wife, first time at one of the great classics.

What'd you wife think of the the trip?

• Advertisement
Advertisement