Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog frustration?

• 20-12-2010 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Yet another training question. Strange one I have noticed beginning to surface on my lad. Sometimes when I collect him from Doggy day care and walk him home he gets very wound up when we get in the door. He is happy as larry on the way back and being his usual charming self. When we get in though there is a weird 10min what seems to be frustration session? I would feed him, and let on the sofa for a snooze but some times, he starts to paw furiously at the couch and get a bit growly?

It’s a bit scary. I know there is no malice at the back of it that it might be the fact that he is coming from a high energy environment. It usually runs its course in 10 mins. Is there anything I can do though?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tulipi

hmm interestingly, i've noticed this with my dog also and she goes to daycare as well. She comes into the house after coming home from daycare and sort of rolls on her back, pawing and scatching at the couch, cushions, me! And she sort of grows and makes strange noises, and sometimes she chews her paws, particular her back ones, all the while on her back. I had thought that it was an allergy or that she was itchy or something. She does it occasionally when we come in from a walk as well.

I'd be interested in any opinions too!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

tulipi wrote: »
    hmm interestingly, i've noticed this with my dog also and she goes to daycare as well. She comes into the house after coming home from daycare and sort of rolls on her back, pawing and scatching at the couch, cushions, me! And she sort of grows and makes strange noises, and sometimes she chews her paws, particular her back ones, all the while on her back. I had thought that it was an allergy or that she was itchy or something. She does it occasionally when we come in from a walk as well.

I'd be interested in any opinions too!

This is a near carbon copy of what my guy does. Thanks god I am not the only one

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Just a sly bump here guys as would like to get any info possible on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My two do similar after a bath, or being out with other dogs, I think its a scent thing.
    Could be wrong but mine seem to roll all over on stuff that would have a people smell, the sofa (bed if I don't shut doors:rolleyes:) is a fav but they will also roll in dirty washing if its waiting by the washing machine. They also roll all over each other:D and can make quite a racket, but I would distract them from the digging action on the couch, that could do damage, try getting him into his bed, or give him a blanket on the floor and encourage him to do it with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

A friends dog does that after a bath - very handy for drying her - you just lay out a towel and she does the rest for you!
    It seems pretty common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Ours does it when she comes in from being away. We see it as her way of marking the place as hers again and just her routine for when she comes home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

Dogs roll around in stuff to change their scent. Dogs that are indoors alot can pick up indoor scents even if they aren't been bathed - things like floor polish or air freshners. Some dogs don't like this and will try to get outdoor scents on them when they get out!

I'm guessing your dog is doing something similiar - but his "normal" smell is your home and furniture.

No clue about the biting the back paw.

My fella tends to growl when he's playing with something - when he is really into shaking the slipper or tossing the ball around, you'll hear these low growls.

Advertisement