Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.204 v .223

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Are yee guys forgetting HPS, I shoot .308 125 grain which is not readily available here either, where there is a will!.............

Fireball data below

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/press-releases/2008/ammunition/the-17-remington-fireball.aspx

Saw a lovely full custom .17fireball rig recently!

but I'm quite happy with my .223

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

aside from the ballistics, one advantage the .204 would have is that given the lack of knowledge of the gardai on the calibers they licence, i imagine it would be a hell of a lot easier to licence.

imagine the conversation with the gard:
    gard ".204 that is smaller than a .22 ya?"
    applicant "it is indeed"
    gard "a sure there should be no problem there"

compared to:
    gard ".223, well the supers gonna want to see you before he'll licence that"
    inside applicants head "well feck it anyway"

declan1980 wrote: »
    wht the feck is that?

A fox basher

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Are yee guys forgetting HPS, I shoot .308 125 grain which is not readily available here either, where there is a will!.............

Fireball data below

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/press-releases/2008/ammunition/the-17-remington-fireball.aspx

Great, if you're happy to use Nosler Ballistic Tips for whatever round you're shooting. If you want anything different, not so good. I think of HPS as a great source of decently priced target stuff, not hunting ammo, as a result, along with the fact that it was going to cost me £215/100 for ballistic tip stuff for my .25-06, without any load development. Since I can just buy the factory Federal Premium stuff for less than that price, it doesn't make any sense. It doesn't make sense in this country to buy a rifle chambered in a cartridge you can't easily get ammo for. I'd love to be handloading and using unusual rounds, and hopefully someday I will be, but until then, we are sadly constrained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Fireball data below

The fireball past 250-300 yards is very limited .I would have a .223 over a 17 fireball any day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Hondata92 wrote: »
    Sorry but sounds like you are using your selling measuring tape, even if the 50gr was been pushed out at 4000fps it would still have approx. 2.5" drop at 250 when zeroed at 100yards. Now if im wrong then i do apologise but you may want to contact norma/hornady and tikka and let them know just how good the combination of ammo and rifle are, im sure they will want to hear all about it:rolleyes:

as far as my rifle and ammo combination is concerned you are invited to go for a shot with me any time and see for your self, i'm not here to spin yarns thanks.

So you have gone from field shooting to target shooting, i can think of alot of better rounds to long range target shoot with besides the .223 but in saying that if you have never shot a .204 then how do you know what it can do at long range on paper? I only field shoot so paper doesnt interest me.

yes i do some informal target practice (doesn't everyone) as it is the only way to know for sure where your bullet is hitting at various ranges regardless of the caliber it is essential and ethical to practice.
    so on a regular basis or as often as i can i set up targets from 50 to 550 and various in between and practice with my .22lr, .223, & .308. which of these do you think i should only do my target practice with because my .223 is not good enough. :p

any way i would love to have a go of your .204 as i have never used one.
    so the invite is there if you want to plink a few targets and so on.
    i go shooting as often as i can.

what rifle/scope combination do you use

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    Sorry but sounds like you are using your selling measuring tape, even if the 50gr was been pushed out at 4000fps it would still have approx. 2.5" drop at 250 when zeroed at 100yards. Now if im wrong then i do apologise but you may want to contact norma/hornady and tikka and let them know just how good the combination of ammo and rifle are, im sure they will want to hear all about itrolleyes.gif

as far as my rifle and ammo combination is concerned you are invited to go for a shot with me any time and see for your self, i'm not here to spin yarns thanks.

So you have gone from field shooting to target shooting, i can think of alot of better rounds to long range target shoot with besides the .223 but in saying that if you have never shot a .204 then how do you know what it can do at long range on paper? I only field shoot so paper doesnt interest me.

yes i do some informal target practice (doesn't everyone) as it is the only way to know for sure where your bullet is hitting at various ranges regardless of the caliber it is essential and ethical to practice.
    so on a regular basis or as often as i can i set up targets from 50 to 550 and various in between and practice with my .22lr, .223, & .308. which of these do you think i should only do my target practice with because my .223 is not good enough. tongue.gif

any way i would love to have a go of your .204 as i have never used one.
    so the invite is there if you want to plink a few targets and so on.
    i go shooting as often as i can.

what rifle/scope combination do you use

Thanks for the invite, im sure we can arrange something through pms

Not being smart but the balistics just dont work out for the drop you have but seeing is believing

You said in your original post that you have shot foxs at 250yards but need to test the 50gr further out, does that mean that you switch to the 75gr for anything beyond 250yards??

With the 50gr norma not listed im guessing its not any easy round to get hold of?

Just have a factory .204ruger with a leupold scope

As a case in point here are the ballistics of the .204 39gr and the .223 50gr

Both zeroed at 200yars with a sight height of 1.5", dont have a ballistic program so used an online one.

.204 ruger 39gr @3750fps

2pyrng8.jpg

.223 rem 50gr @3300fps

w191eg.jpg

The .204 has less drop and wind drift than the .223 with more kinetic energy

Thanks for the invite, im sure we can arrange something through pms

Not being smart but the balistics just dont work out for the drop you have but seeing is believing

You said in your original post that you have shot foxs at 250yards but need to test the 50gr further out, does that mean that you switch to the 75gr for anything beyond 250yards??

With the 50gr norma not listed im guessing its not any easy round to get hold of?

Just have a factory .204ruger with a leupold scope

i have shot foxes out to 250 as thats as far out as i have seen them so fare since i have had the 50gr rounds. but to be honest most fox shooting i do would be around 100-150 mark

the furthest shot i have taken in the field was 365 paces (or 400m ish)on a fox with 55gr hornady whict is what i was always using for hunting until i saw these 50gr norma's and i tried a box and weent back for more.

no i dont change to 75gr for longer shots i would just use them for long range target practice

ruger is a solid rifle and a leupold scopes are top notch. trouble with a rig like that is you cant blame your equipment on a miss :D

there's no denying that the .204 is a ballistically superior round to the .223, but since my .223 is quite capable of killing foxes at 300 yards i'm not going to lose any sleep over the fact that the .204 is a bit better.
    i might change over in a few years, but for now i'm very happy with my very accurate .223:)

• Advertisement

i have shot foxes out to 250 as thats as far out as i have seen them so fare since i have had the 50gr rounds. but to be honest most fox shooting i do would be around 100-150 mark

the furthest shot i have taken in the field was 365 paces (or 400m ish)on a fox with 55gr hornady whict is what i was always using for hunting until i saw these 50gr norma's and i tried a box and weent back for more.

no i dont change to 75gr for longer shots i would just use them for long range target practice

ruger is a solid rifle and a leupold scopes are top notch. trouble with a rig like that is you cant blame your equipment on a miss :D

So the norma 50gr are easily available then?? Ive never heard/seen them for sale and based on your optomistic drop out to 250yards they seem like they are almost a some kind of a "custom" load that just happen to suit you rifle, roughly what speed are they running??

So what is the purpose of your 75gr rounds? is it for less wind drift?

I said i have a .204ruger just like you have a .223rem!!

Quite simply by more than just myself it has explained with facts and ballistics that the .204 is superiour to the .223, if by now you dont realise this then the whole purpose of you starting thread and people making the effort to reply and explain has been a waste of time

So the norma 50gr are easily available then?? Ive never heard/seen them for sale and based on your optomistic drop out to 250yards they seem like they are almost a some kind of a "custom" load that just happen to suit you rifle, roughly what speed are they running??

So what is the purpose of your 75gr rounds? is it for less wind drift?

I said i have a .204ruger just like you have a .223rem!!

Quite simply by more than just myself it has explained with facts and ballistics that the .204 is superiour to the .223, if by now you dont realise this then the whole purpose of you starting thread and people making the effort to reply and explain has been a waste of time

i got them in killarney from Mick duggan. he had a batch of them. i never saw them anywhere else. i hope he gets some more.
    i had great success with norma ammo when i had my 6.5x55 so i thought i'd try them in the .223 and i was happy with results.

why do i use the 75gr. because i can. variety is the spice of life. one of the joys of the .223 is the availability of different types of ammo for different purposes so i can do this at 500y 3stot group on a 6" steel plate
    pauln85186.jpg

i will be stretching it out further when i get the chance.

as far as starting this tread is concerned well this is a forum for people to ask questions and my question was why would you chose a .204 over a .223. ballistics on paper are one thing but use in the field is another.
    from what i'v read i dont think there is anything to tempt me yet but i might have a look at one if i decide to change my rifle for something different in the future.

i might start another tread asking about other calibers if thats ok with you
    lets say 7m08 v .308. or .270 v 30 06.

i got them in killarney from Mick duggan. he had a batch of them. i never saw them anywhere else. i hope he gets some more.
    i had great success with norma ammo when i had my 6.5x55 so i thought i'd try them in the .223 and i was happy with results.

why do i use the 75gr. because i can. variety is the spice of life. one of the joys of the .223 is the availability of different types of ammo for different purposes so i can do this at 500y 3stot group on a 6" steel plate
    pauln85186.jpg

i will be stretching it out further when i get the chance.

as far as starting this tread is concerned well this is a forum for people to ask questions and my question was why would you chose a .204 over a .223. ballistics on paper are one thing but use in the field is another.
    from what i'v read i dont think there is anything to tempt me yet but i might have a look at one if i decide to change my rifle for something different in the future.

i might start another tread asking about other calibers if thats ok with you
    lets say 7m08 v .308. or .270 v 30 06.

Your 50gr norma seems to be less available than what you suggest the .204 is. At a price thats more than likely in excess of 25 euro per box.

Going on the fact that your original post was based on ballistic table comparison between the two rounds you now seem happy to dismiss ballistics (on paper). Several .204 shooters agree that it is more efficient in the field on drop, wind drift and energy when compared to the .223rem.

Im not in favour of taking two-three different boxs of ammo out to do a lesser job that the 39gr can do in the .204

I guess hornady and ruger wasted alot time and development in designing a new varmint round in your opinion for nothing

Id like to hear from you where you think the .223 is a superiour varmint round to the .204 other than price of cheap dirt ammo

As for starting a thread comparing different calibres, whats the point if you will just dismiss the rest because of what you currently own

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

One often forgets the 204 has a bigger case than the 223, it's not just a necked down 223.
    Normally as game sizes increase one would tend to increase bullet weight.
    Yes the 204 with 40gr has advantages over a 223 with light bullets but when bullets get heavier the 204 can't match in knocking down power or penetration.
    Just as a comparison, a 223 is the same as a 22-250 just 100yds between them. Meaning a red deer shot legally shot with a 22-250 at 200yds would receive the same energy and bullet as with a 223 at 100yds..roughly.
    So why is the 204 not deer legal if it is so good and apparantly far superior to the 223. Some say also superior to 22-250 and swift.
    The other point, if a smaller bullet is better...well then a 17cal should be better again. or?
    Why did the Nato change from 55gr to a heavier round after years of problems with the 223 when actually they should have gone to a lighter round or to a 204 all together?
    edi

Your 50gr norma seems to be less available than what you suggest the .204 is. At a price thats more than likely in excess of 25 euro per box.

Going on the fact that your original post was based on ballistic table comparison between the two rounds you now seem happy to dismiss ballistics (on paper). Several .204 shooters agree that it is more efficient in the field on drop, wind drift and energy when compared to the .223rem.

Im not in favour of taking two-three different boxs of ammo out to do a lesser job that the 39gr can do in the .204

I guess hornady and ruger wasted alot time and development in designing a new varmint round in your opinion for nothing

Id like to hear from you where you think the .223 is a superiour varmint round to the .204 other than price of cheap dirt ammo

As for starting a thread comparing different calibres, whats the point if you will just dismiss the rest because of what you currently own

ok this is getting silly, we are getting no where with this.but here it goes any way.

i got the norma for €25 the same price as the hornady 55gr that i was using so no difference.
    i can go back to using hornady again as i am well used to them and have the drops worked out so no problem.

versatility. i dont go out with 2or3 different types of ammo to do the same job.
    No 1 i might want to go bunny bashing. cheep ammo @ €10 a box is fine for that.
    No 2 i generally use the premium load (norma or hornady) for fox and bunny bashing
    No 3 if i chose to spend a day lying on a rug target practice i can do that as well with all three rounds but for longer range the 75gr give the best results.
    its fine if you choose to use your 39gr premium round for what ever you want. its your choice.

i have stated before that the .204 is faster and flatter thats a given, but on a day or night out shooting is there anything that the .204 can do that a .223 cant do i dont think so but i will stand corrected if it can.

i am all for development of new rounds and i think that they did a great job on the .204. all i am trying to do is discuss the advantages/disadvantages if any of both rounds.

as far as opening a new thread on other calibers is concerned well thats what this forum is for and i can agree or disagree with what ever i like.

i had a 6.5x55 and changed it for a .308 not because of caliber as i had no problem with the 6.5x55 as a caliber it shot and killed all 3 species of deer for me i just wanted a different style of rifle.
    some would say one is better than the other and that might be true at some point but when deer stalking 80-150y any of the calibers from 22-250 upwards can do the job fine.
    i do like the look of the 7m08 it can do everything a .308 can but has slightly better down range speed.
    but that is for another tread.
    i have some 150gr superformance ammo that is supposed to spit out at 3000fps that i have to test happy days.
    you are welcome to come along and check my results if you want:D:D:D

ejg wrote: »
    One often forgets the 204 has a bigger case than the 223, it's not just a necked down 223.

No one has said the .204 is a necked down .223. Yes the .204 has more case capacity than the .223 but it doesnt mean the .204 uses/needs more powder, case design has to be taken into consideration.

True, the bigger the game the larger weight of bullet used but there are other things that need to be looked at besides weight.
    Yes the 204 with 40gr has advantages over a 223 with light bullets but when bullets get heavier the 204 can't match in knocking down power or penetration.

Any how much kinetic energy do you need to knock a fox??
    Just as a comparison, a 223 is the same as a 22-250 just 100yds between them. Meaning a red deer shot legally shot with a 22-250 at 200yds would receive the same energy and bullet as with a 223 at 100yds..roughly.
    So why is the 204 not deer legal if it is so good and apparantly far superior to the 223. Some say also superior to 22-250 and swift.

In what way is there 100yards between them, your talking two different calibers for different purposes without even stating bullet weights of either.

As for why the .204 isnt deer legal, its the same reason the .223 isnt deer legal:rolleyes:

The other point, if a smaller bullet is better...well then a 17cal should be better again. or?

Who said a smaller bullet is better? You clearly have no understanding of ballistics or bullet design
    Why did the Nato change from 55gr to a heavier round after years of problems with the 223 when actually they should have gone to a lighter round or to a 204 all together?
    edi

Well nato dont use the .223 they use the 5.56 which the .223 is derived from but has slight differences in case and chamber design, Nato v SAAMI spec.

Your comparing a dedicated military round to a dedicated varmint round.

Under the geneva convention you are not permitted to use expanding rounds for military purposes.

ok this is getting silly, we are getting no where with this.but here it goes any way.

i got the norma for €25 the same price as the hornady 55gr that i was using so no difference.
    i can go back to using hornady again as i am well used to them and have the drops worked out so no problem.

versatility. i dont go out with 2or3 different types of ammo to do the same job.
    No 1 i might want to go bunny bashing. cheep ammo @ €10 a box is fine for that.
    No 2 i generally use the premium load (norma or hornady) for fox and bunny bashing
    No 3 if i chose to spend a day lying on a rug target practice i can do that as well with all three rounds but for longer range the 75gr give the best results.
    its fine if you choose to use your 39gr premium round for what ever you want. its your choice.

i have stated before that the .204 is faster and flatter thats a given, but on a day or night out shooting is there anything that the .204 can do that a .223 cant do i dont think so but i will stand corrected if it can.

i am all for development of new rounds and i think that they did a great job on the .204. all i am trying to do is discuss the advantages/disadvantages if any of both rounds.

as far as opening a new thread on other calibers is concerned well thats what this forum is for and i can agree or disagree with what ever i like.

i had a 6.5x55 and changed it for a .308 not because of caliber as i had no problem with the 6.5x55 as a caliber it shot and killed all 3 species of deer for me i just wanted a different style of rifle.
    some would say one is better than the other and that might be true at some point but when deer stalking 80-150y any of the calibers from 22-250 upwards can do the job fine.
    i do like the look of the 7m08 it can do everything a .308 can but has slightly better down range speed.
    but that is for another tread.
    i have some 150gr superformance ammo that is supposed to spit out at 3000fps that i have to test happy days.
    you are welcome to come along and check my results if you want:D:D:D

I agree we are getting no where probally because facts have been stated and chosen to be ignored.

You say that you use cheap ammo for rabbits and premium for rabbits and foxs, so if you go out with cheap stuff you leave off any foxs or just carry both and work out your difference in zero before working out your drop?

If ive read it right, when doing short range target shooting if both cheap and premium ammo do it well then why bother with premium stuff?

The only advantage the 75gr match round has over the 39gr hunting round is kinetic energy which isnt required for punching paper.

Yeah maybe you should open another thread for different calibers and keep this for the .204 versus the .223, but please keep an open mind on other peoples views and facts rather than fiction

Hondata, 204 is a lovely mid range rabbit round. Fox OK but not
    perfect. Why? well most factory rifles will not shoot anything over
    39gr accurately. Some don't even shoot 39/40's well. Meaning all the
    ballistic advantaeg is down the tube because one musy use 32gr. Then,
    Hornady's ammo, ever measured the real speed? More like 200 below what
    the box say's.
    Naaa, I don't fall for it.
    At least with a 223 and a 1in 8 like a factory tikka one has the choice and
    can shoot 40 right up to 75 possibly more. Well stabilised with better BC than a 204 and down range energy than the 204.
    Foxing, if one shoots a lot of fox, I think it is important to have more
    penetration than the 204 especially with 32gr can offer. A follow up
    shot should be able to reach the vitals from any angle. The 223 is also
    marginal with 50gr but fairly ok 55-60gr. 22-250, swift, 243 being ideal.

223 vs 22-250? well the higher muzzle speed of a 22-250 is at 100yds
    roughly the same as a 223 at the muzzle (same bullet). That's why one
    often refers to a 22-250 as a 223 with 100yds more....simple eh

edi

edi
    The bullets in both calibers will do the job when they get to mr fox !The .204 ,.223 and in most cases the .22-250 are not deer legal for a good reason . Most shooters buy a box of ammo for the their setup and never put any taught into why or how its best suited for the quarry they are about to hunt....Its only a few years ago that the .22 hornet and .22 mag were the tools of choice for foxes .Why would you think penetration is needed with a varmint round?What relevant point has the nato 5.56 mm round got to do with this topic?

the box say's.
    can shoot 40 right up to 75 possibly more. Well stabilised with better BC than a 204 and down range energy than the 204.

edi
    A bigger bullet is no compinsation for poor bullet placement .What bullet are you refairing in the .223 that has better B/C and down range energy over the .204?I hope your not suggesting a MATCH ROUND?My factory 39gr is around 70fps down off the advertise speed .....I had a .223 and 4 of my mates still have, they and all are 250-300 fps off their factory speeds .I agree the 32gr wound be best suited 300-350 yards on foxes and they seem around 150-200 fps off their advertised speed .I have to laugh when you somehow think the .204 is only a midrange rabbit round .I have yet to see a factory .204 rifle not shoot the federal 39gr very very well .Foxes must have thicker skin down around your area:rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

Tom, the 5.56 Nato is just about the same as the 223rem. Look it up.
    The experience that was won after firing billions of 5.56 rounds is
    valuable. The result was to move away from the lighter rounds to improve performance,
    not reduce bullet weight. Of course this will not translate 100% to our usage, but
    say for fox sized animals we can learn from it.

edi

valuable. The result was to move away from the lighter rounds to improve performance,
    not reduce bullet weight. Of course this will not translate 100% to our usage, but

edi
    There only comparsion between the two is the case .Every thing else about them go down 2 totally opposite roads .I sorry ,this is a poor example of the merits of the.223 rem.One wonders why the.223 rem can be hard to licence with this kind of chat:confused:

tomcat220t wrote: »
    I had a .223 and 4 of my mates still have, they and all are 250-300 fps off their factory speeds .
    must be something wrong so.
    i've calibrated my rifle out to 300 yards by firing a targets every 25 yards. i then adjusted the velocity i enter into jbm until i got the calculated drop matching the physical drop and the result was that the rounds i'm using are only 75fps slower than the stated velocity

the box say's.

edi

You have clearly never seen a .204 used in the field if you state its a mid range rabbit round.

How many .204s have you seen/fired to back up your claim that many cant accurately shoot the 39gr or 40gr rounds and not just pub talk:rolleyes:

22-250 is a deer legal calibre, the .223 isnt but are you implying that you would shoot deer with a .223 because there is just a 100yard difference in velocity

And how many .223 owners have the likes of remington in a 1:12 twist, they hear all these great things about being able to shoot a wide range of rounds, buy a .223 and cant use the heavier rounds as they dont know about twist rates and alot of those who gave them "facts" about the .223 dont even know themselves.

edi

About the same isnt the same, case thickness and pressures are completely different, LOOK IT UP

Yes we can learn because who doesnt need/use a full metal jacket round for foxes:rolleyes:

must be something wrong so.
    i've calibrated my rifle out to 300 yards by firing a targets every 25 yards. i then adjusted the velocity i enter into jbm until i got the calculated drop matching the physical drop and the result was that the rounds i'm using are only 75fps slower than the stated velocity

Might just be easier/quicker and more accurate to use a chronograph and get the real muzzle velocity of the rounds your using and you will also see how consistent they are.

Would like to hear what shooters would regard as the minimum bullet energy for an ethical kill on a fox.Going on that ive seen many a fox dropped clean with .22 hornets out to 200 yards !I know the question was asked on an earlier post with no reply ....

Might just be easier/quicker and more accurate to use a chronograph and get the real muzzle velocity of the rounds your using and you will also see how consistent they are.
    since i don't have access to a chronograph, i think having fired 200 rounds of hornady 55gr v-max on targets consistently giving less than .5moa groups at any distance out to 300, without any real change in drop (apart from the odd flier) is consistent and accurate enough to trust the velocity i'm putting into jbm.

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Would like to hear what shooters would regard as the minimum bullet energy for an ethical kill on a fox.Going on that ive seen many a fox dropped clean with .22 hornets out to 200 yards !I know the question was asked on an earlier post with no reply ....
    i read somewhere that the bullet energy should be at least 10 times the weight of the animal in order to guarantee a clean kill with a heart lung shot. so a fox weighing 20lbs should be hit with 200ft/lbs of force etc.

i read somewhere that the bullet energy should be at least 10 times the weight of the animal in order to guarantee a clean kill with a heart lung shot. so a fox weighing 20lbs should be hit with 200ft/lbs of force etc.

I was taught by Granp's that min of 13-1 ration, but its a good rule at least 10-1

Dr. Randall Gilbert describes hydrostatic shock as an important factor in bullet performance on whitetail deer, “When it [a bullet] enters a whitetail’s body, huge accompanying shock waves send vast amounts of energy through nearby organs, sending them into arrest or shut down.”Dave Ehrig expresses the view that hydrostatic shock depends on impact velocities above 1,100 ft (340 m) per second. Sid Evans explains the performance of the Nosler Partition bullet and Federal Cartridge Company’s decision to load this bullet in terms of the large tissue cavitation and hydrostatic shock produced from the frontal diameter of the expanded bullet. The North American Hunting Club also suggests big game cartridges that create enough hydrostatic shock to quickly bring animals down.

Generally if aprés Hit you see legs in the air you have hit hard enough

I'd like to have a go with a .204 myself.

i think the OP just wanted to know was there a serious advantage with .204 to consider changing.

It's all about the user.

I shoot .223 coz I like it. i liked .220 Swift too, just ammo was to expensive and they were a hoor for copper fouling.

As others have said most foxes were shot wityh .22's mags and Hornets.

Out to 150 yards most rifles will drop a fox, it's just how much further, and how accurately after that.

Lots of lads use low power scopes and then tell of shooting bunnies out past 300 yards:eek:

I can't figure how ya can hit something ya can't see; but that is just me.
    I've killed more foxes to date with a .22lr than any other firearm.

All during the day, and all local to me.
    Saying that it took 3 .22lr's to drop a big dog fox out of a krico S/A many years ago.

I've killed foxes with .223 and 6.5, 12g and .22lr (none to date with .308)

If a fox was 150yards +, then flat trajectory is great as you don't need to range find, just point and shoot

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I know of seven 204s including my own and only one of them wont shoot
    the 40 grain bullets. all seven shoot the 39 grain very well.
    We have shot rabbits as far as 500 yards in calm conditions.
    I used to shoot foxes with a swift then a 243 but I must say I prefer the 204,
    I am convinced its the best calibre available for fox shooting.
    Ive been shooting foxes a long time and have never needed a follow up shot.

• Advertisement

I was taught by Granp's that min of 13-1 ration, but its a good rule at least 10-1

Dr. Randall Gilbert describes hydrostatic shock as an important factor in bullet performance on whitetail deer, “When it [a bullet] enters a whitetail’s body, huge accompanying shock waves send vast amounts of energy through nearby organs, sending them into arrest or shut down.”Dave Ehrig expresses the view that hydrostatic shock depends on impact velocities above 1,100 ft (340 m) per second. Sid Evans explains the performance of the Nosler Partition bullet and Federal Cartridge Company’s decision to load this bullet in terms of the large tissue cavitation and hydrostatic shock produced from the frontal diameter of the expanded bullet. The North American Hunting Club also suggests big game cartridges that create enough hydrostatic shock to quickly bring animals down.

Generally if aprés Hit you see legs in the air you have hit hard enough

I'd like to have a go with a .204 myself.

i think the OP just wanted to know was there a serious advantage with .204 to consider changing.

It's all about the user.

I shoot .223 coz I like it. i liked .220 Swift too, just ammo was to expensive and they were a hoor for copper fouling.

As others have said most foxes were shot wityh .22's mags and Hornets.

Out to 150 yards most rifles will drop a fox, it's just how much further, and how accurately after that.

Lots of lads use low power scopes and then tell of shooting bunnies out past 300 yards:eek:

I can't figure how ya can hit something ya can't see; but that is just me.
    I've killed more foxes to date with a .22lr than any other firearm.

All during the day, and all local to me.
    Saying that it took 3 .22lr's to drop a big dog fox out of a krico S/A many years ago.

I've killed foxes with .223 and 6.5, 12g and .22lr (none to date with .308)

If a fox was 150yards +, then flat trajectory is great as you don't need to range find, just point and shoot

There is no round available in the .223 that shoots flatter and bucks the wind better than the 39gr .204

Your copy paste on hydrostatic shock is interesting but since that particular piece relates to large game and deer in particular i dont think it has any relevance here as the .204 and .223 are not deer legal.

The op wanted to know why someone would consider a .204 over a .223 but it seems people dont see flatter trajectory or less wind drift as an advantage

Have little experience with the swift as far as copper fouling but the .204 doesnt have any isssues with fouling.

What magnification do you use for 300yards??

I zero .204 at 200yards and out to 300yards all i have to do is put the crosshair on a foxs back

My rifle is a stock factory rifle costing around €900 that hasnt has any work done to it (bedding,recrown) and from what i have seen on here of .223 groupings my rifle with factory 39gr rounds would be atleast as accurate and thats being nice ;)

Advertisement