Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Bike for beginners.

• 20-12-2010 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭

My news years plan is to get into cross country cycling. Anyone recommend a decent bike to begin with that is reasonably priced. What gear do I need to prevent me getting a sore arse (bum!!!).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

"reasonably priced" is relative so you'd probably get a better response here is you give an upper limit. Regarding the keeping intact of the arse - comfy saddle. Different saddles suit different arses so a bit of trial and error is probably needed to find the one which supplies you with the optimum comfort. Padded shorts and chamois cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Is 300Euro reasonably priced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Depends how much money you have.

Unless you disclose information about your finances here you can't expect to be advised on whether 300 is a reasonable amount in your circumstances.

You need to specify the upper amount of what you are willing to spend and then the boardsies here can advise you regarding what is available within your budget. However, if 300 is actually your upper limit your choices will be very restricted if you are looking for a new bike. You might be able to get a decent secondhand bike for this amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

For an XC MTB no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

My news years plan is to get into cross country cycling. Anyone recommend a decent bike to begin with that is reasonably priced. What gear do I need to prevent me getting a sore arse (bum!!!).

You could go for a hard tail, but full suspension would be better

Disc brakes are better than V brake, there is mechanical and hydraulic. Hydraulic is better as it gives more braking/stopping power

If you asked could you get a full suspension MTB, with hydraulic disc bakes-300 wont cover it

There are MTB for 100-150 euro, they have V brakes, aluminum spokes, poor quality suspension, no lockout on either suspension system, saddle peddles etc not best quality. But it will work

The best I could recommend for 300 is Carrera Subway

It has no suspension as at this price range what you could get is no good, the frame is decent, spokes are steel, drivetrain is ok etc etc. Should be able to take alot of punishment

For €300 your very limited, will have to sacrifice

I would say €1000-1500 would buy a descent full suspension

Dont forget body armour and helmet etc etc. Just in case you come off

mbiking123 wrote: »
    You could go for a hard tail, but full suspension would be better

Disc brakes are better than V brake, there is mechanical and hydraulic. Hydraulic is better as it gives more braking/stopping power

If you asked could you get a full suspension MTB, with hydraulic disc bakes-300 wont cover it

There are MTB for 100-150 euro, they have V brakes, aluminum spokes, poor quality suspension, no lockout on either suspension system, saddle peddles etc not best quality. But it will work

The best I could recommend for 300 is Carrera Subway

It has no suspension as at this price range what you could get is no good, the frame is decent, spokes are steel, drivetrain is ok etc etc. Should be able to take alot of punishment

For €300 your very limited, will have to sacrifice

I would say €1000-1500 would buy a descent full suspension

Dont forget body armour and helmet etc etc. Just in case you come off

And for the most part ignore that

And for the most part ignore that

You have yet to say anything worth commenting on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

You may be in luck with your budget, Well kind of. Niall and Tarja (Biking.ie) are selling off their ex hire bikes (€375). These would be in top shape coming from these guys, for second hand bikes. I dont see any mention of it on their site but i got a news letter email and it mentioned it there, but if you email them i am sure they will let you know if there are any left.
    Trek 4300 see link
    http://www.biking.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=61

You will not get a better bike that has been looked after for that price, anywhere.

davey101 wrote: »
    You may be in luck with your budget, Well kind of. Niall and Tarja (Biking.ie) are selling off their ex hire bikes (€375). These would be in top shape coming from these guys, for second hand bikes. I dont see any mention of it on their site but i got a news letter email and it mentioned it there, but if you email them i am sure they will let you know if there are any left.
    Trek 4300 see link
    http://www.biking.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=61

You will not get a better bike that has been looked after for that price, anywhere.

Buy one of those, job done!

• Advertisement

Buy one of those, job done!

according to http://www.thinkbike.ie/bike_shop/2010_TREK_4300.aspx you can buy a new one for €470. Personally I would try to find out how much use these bikes got, and how old they are. Only saving 100 over a new one. Also has v brakes instead of disc, thats the problem when going for more basic models. You may need to spend more to get a better spec if thats what you want

donedeal have alot of second hand bikes

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gentsbicycles/1568785

Trek 4300 - advertised as brand new for €375

also comes with lights

a new bike is better than a used bike for only a fiver more

The OP has yet to state his actual upper limit and has given no indication of how tall he is so one can't really point to specific secondhand bikes being advertised on donedeal, adverts, etc.

There's not much point in anyone making further contributions towards this thread unless the OP makes a return.

Advertisement