Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway City and Climate Change: What's to be made of its future?

Options
  • 20-12-2010 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

What's to be said for the future of Galway City. NUIG's Dr Kieran Hickey says that as the century progresses "unchecked the sea will come up Shop Street".

Here's the quote in greater detail:
    "
    But as we go towards 2100 our biggest threat is the rise and rise of the sea levels. In the last century sea levels have risen 13 to 15 centimetres, and that was with no ice melt. The projection is that by the end of this century sea levels will have risen by 44 centimetres. But in the past three years, the speed with which Greenland’s ice is melting has accelerated significantly. Weather scientists have now been told to revise those figure upwards by one or two metres.
    What does that mean for Galway? Dr Hickey says that unchecked the sea will come up Shop Street. There is little to be done for rural areas, he says, which are sinking anyway.“ Coastal erosion is happening all the time. The rise in sea levels is insidious. It’s sneaky. It’s constantly eating away at our coastline. The real scary stuff, however, is that not only is ice-melt in Greenland happening at a faster rate that was predicted, but now there is evidence that the Antarctic is melting at an even more rapid pace. We don’t know yet the impact of that, only it is not looking good.” Dr Hickey believes that, once again, Europe will come to the rescue, and at enormous cost, will devise some form of coastal protection, especially for cities."

And here's the link to the article: http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/33353

Here's an idea of perhaps where we've already started to head:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/12744234@N00/2664071749

So what's it to be for the future of Galway? Should we raise Quay Street and Shop Street up on stilts and start a down payment on those gondolas already? Is it time to move the promenade all the way to Eyre Square? :confused:

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

We should start borrowing more money from Holland instead of the IMF.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

We'll be dead by 2100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭LawnMower Man

snubbleste wrote: »
    We'll be dead by 2100.

Exactly so make sure and buy a plot in bohermore be safe enough up there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The entire global warming hypothesis is based on a grossly flawed temperature model run by the Goddard Institute in NASA named GISTEMP.

It was by trending readings towards sea level ( by discarding higher up stations over time) and by not correcting out the airports (they were covered in grass in 1940 and are now covered in concrete) and other urban effects that the worlds temperature is 'showing' a substantial increase.

There is nothing to worry about...unless you are a weather station that is. Have a look at the Rome Ciampino Airport weather station.

rome_italy_airport_weather_station_large2.jpg?w=510&h=267

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

What do you think?

You started the thread, why don't you tell us what *you* think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 GetThatDownYa

snubbleste wrote: »
    We'll be dead by 2100.

it says "as we go towards 2100" so that means changes will be happening within the century. People won't just wakeup New Years day 2100 in Galway and find Shop Street is suddenly flooded. It's bound to be a gradual progression. UK Met office is stating the likelihood of huge changes within as little as fifty years

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The entire global warming hypothesis is based on a grossly flawed temperature model run by the Goddard Institute in NASA named GISTEMP.

It was by trending readings towards sea level ( by discarding higher up stations over time) and by not correcting out the airports (they were covered in grass in 1940 and are now covered in concrete) and other urban effects that the worlds temperature is 'showing' a substantial increase.

There is nothing to worry about...unless you are a weather station that is. Have a look at the Rome Ciampino Airport weather station.

rome_italy_airport_weather_station_large2.jpg?w=510&h=267

I believe they account for such distortions by using degrees of correction.
    And as regards your claim that this proves the Global warming hypothesis is redundant , well the NOAA released a report saying global warming was beyond doubt due to - not one ot two but - ten indicators which all point to the trend towards global warming : "the report defines 10 measurable planet-wide features used to gauge global temperature changes. The relative movement of each of these indicators proves consistent with a warming world. Seven indicators are rising: air temperature over land, sea-surface temperature, air temperature over oceans, sea level, ocean heat, humidity and tropospheric temperature in the “active-weather” layer of the atmosphere closest to the Earth’s surface. Three indicators are declining: Arctic sea ice, glaciers and spring snow cover in the Northern hemisphere." http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2010/20100728_stateoftheclimate.html

You started the thread, why don't you tell us what *you* think?

Well the news article say if "unchecked" so I suppose there's a need to build water defences of some sort - any civil engineers out there have any ideas? I'm hardly qualified but would be nice to head to the Townhouse in a gondola - they'll make a nice replacement for the rickshaws at any rate although I don't fancy the idea of wobbling home after pub hours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What do you think?
    I think you deserve a lot of credit for not putting a superfluous apostrophe in the word "its" in the thread title.

IThree indicators are declining: Arctic sea ice, glaciers and spring snow cover in the Northern hemisphere." http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2010/20100728_stateoftheclimate.html

Which is irrelevant seeing as ice is increasing ON BALANCE across both poles , the Antartic locks up way more water than the Artic. The East Antartic ICE sheet is 75% of all Ice where the glaciers ....all of them on all the continents....account for 1%. The Greenland Ice Cap is 10% of all ice as is the West Antartic Ice mass.

Therefore you are selectively quoting :cool: three essentially irrelevant :cool:indicators on which one should not base any substantive policy.

Next myth please...until the mods get bored with us and feck this green hogwash into the Conspiracy forum where it really belongs that is :D

• Advertisement

Which is irrelevant seeing as ice is increasing ON BALANCE across both poles It is? In which recognised peer-reviewed (or article referring to a peer-reviewed)journal did you come across this?

Therefore you are selectively quoting cool.gif three essentially irrelevant cool.gifindicators on which one should not base any substantive policy.

I selectively chose a report from a prestigious institution, also 10 indicators BTW

But Sponge Bob at the end of the day a discussion isn't going to get either of us anywhere -except moved to a different forum (not a conspiracy David Ike, lizards in the royal family one either ). I've seen these debates before, they are never about reciprocal sharing of knowledge or a desire to learn more but always about scoring points, attempting to reinforce ones position and one's ego. Even a so-called sceptic can at least imagine a scenario where there's seawater in Shop Street or the threat of it eek.gif and then ask themselves the question "oh well what to do? How does the city adapt?" Floating Rickshaws?

I've heard already that due to the flooding in Ireland last year many homes had there house insurance renewed but without the coverage for flooding. I wonder will Shop Street (or has it already) head in this uninsured direction?

Even a so-called sceptic can at least imagine a scenario where there's seawater in Shop Street or the threat of it eek.gif and then ask themselves the question "oh well what to do? How does the city adapt?" Floating Rickshaws?

If you imagined glaciers forming in Donegal you would be a tad nearer reality. The marginally more likely event now facing us is a Mini Ice Age, so go imagine that instead.
    I've heard already that due to the flooding in Ireland last year many homes had there house insurance renewed but without the coverage for flooding. I wonder will Shop Street (or has it already) head in this uninsured direction?
    Nothing to do with the putative and generally unfounded threat of the seas rising, a lot more to do with gobsh1te greens preventing much needed arterial drainage works on our rivers together with an increased marginal loss of carrying capacity owing to invasive weeds.

And a bit of rain on top of all that :D Rain in Galway has nothing to do with global warming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

He's talking nonsense. The sea will freeze over next Winter and stay like that until 2100. Nothing to worry about!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

There'll be no accusations, just friendly crustaceans, under the sea.

Discussion of climate change as a phenomenon does not belong in this forum.

If you wish to discuss climate change do it here:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1404

If you wish to espouse unreferenced conspiracy theories about the 'myth' of climate change do it here:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

For the purposes of this thread let's stick to the topic of 'Imagine if...'

Any further off topic discussion over the actual reality of climate change will be deleted.

/moderation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Does anyone know if there are still swimming lessons in Leisureland...could do with becomming a stronger swimmer before doomsday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Discussion of climate change as a phenomenon does not belong in this forum.

If you wish to discuss climate change do it here:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1404

If you wish to espouse unreferenced conspiracy theories about the 'myth' of climate change do it here:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

For the purposes of this thread let's stick to the topic of 'Imagine if...'

Any further off topic discussion over the actual reality of climate change will be deleted.

/moderation

Well then out of fairness would you please then delete those previous post denying global warming.

Well then out of fairness would you please then delete those previous post denying global warming.

Hmm, well how about I'll leave them there with the caveat that they are completely unsubstantiated, unreferenced, uninformative and most likely untrue, and the direction that people should do their own research into the area, paying particular attention to peer reviewed academic journals.

paying particular attention to peer reviewed academic journals.

That is what SHOULD happen PB but when answers are not forthcoming people on the Internet have to go back to basics and look at where the data is ACTUALLY coming from. The majority of these investigation projects have met a deliberate brick wall and that has spawned quite a lot of model investigation, not least by statistical modellers in other ( not climatological ) fields who are well able to run a model themselves and to see how it is constructed.

That led ( in the US) to the Surfacestations project which sought to audit the data sources from which the models are derived.

Ireland is not really showing systemically identifiable signs of global warming but our synoptic surface stations are properly located, funny that :)

In this, the official ( say the models) second warmest ever year globally, we are going to come in under 9c Average for the first time in 25 years and for the 6th time since 1960 ( 2 of those years being 1962 and i963)

This surfacestations project was carried out in their own areas by people on the Internet, not academics and climate scientists. Normal observers with cameras and notebooks.

They found some interesting anomalies

Tahoe_city3.JPG

Roseburg_OR_USHCN.jpg

Again, I'll ask you to take it to the Conspiracy Theories forum, where it belongs.

/moderation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

If you could get a boat up Shop St and moor it in Eyre Square and sit at a waterside bar outside the Skeff then the tourists would flock in. I'm all for it - where do I sign?

If I have to pay carbon tax for an imaginary meteorlogical 'event' then I want value for money. Warm summers, cold winters and a decent canal network. Do I care if all the rich peoples houses in Barna get washed away? No-siree Bob...

'cptr

If sea-levels keep rising Galway would be more likely to have a massive influx of 'environmental migrants' rather than tourists.

I suppose some expensive defences would have to be structured along the South Park, The Claddagh and the Docks. Although we'll probably still be so desperately trying to Structure ourselves out of debt even then that we'll just have to sacrifice all of it - end up calling Woodquay Shop Street instead

Oh and Sponge Bob

( in the US) to the Surfacestations project

Not a bad project either but here's what their findings mean when applied to the data: http://www.skepticalscience.com/Is-the-US-Surface-Temperature-Record-Reliable.html

As for the future of Galway, it may very well be that the current icy winter we're experiencing will also be part of the future of our city according to this well referenced article (It's here as a blog but was also published as a newspaper article ): http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2010/12/20/cold-burn/

So is the city in need of some major adaptation strategies? Are there any already out there? Have local politicians addressed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

So, Galway becomes the Venice of western Europe.:rolleyes:

galwayrush wrote: »
    Beat you too that with the Gondolas reference:P

All too aware of my position here as a a man flogging a dead horse :( I'd like to add another question to the thread - does anyone here worry even in the slightest about any climate change impacts on the low lying parts of our city?

Even at the merest tiniest electron on a single nerve-ending level - at a kind of shadowy below the awareness of a "what was that? Oh nothing" level. Anyone ...

tumbleweed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Beat you too that with the Gondolas reference:P

All too aware of my position here as a a man flogging a dead horse :( I'd like to add another question to the thread - does anyone here worry even in the slightest about any climate change impacts on the low lying parts of our city?

Even at the merest tiniest electron on a single nerve-ending level - at a kind of shadowy below the awareness of a "what was that? Oh nothing" level. Anyone ...

tumbleweed

It wouldn't take too much of an effort now to protect the low lying areas for the future, look at what the Dutch managed, and they went a step further and reclaimed land from the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

The problem is that western Europe becomes the Venice of western Europe at the same time, so we'd hardly be unique. In terms of global warming, about ten thousand years ago where you're sitting was probably under a kilometer of ice, so on the balance, yes things are warming up.

Ireland is slightly unusual in that its a roughly bowl-shaped country, the edges are higher than the middle, so we might get off lighter than a lot of countries with a long coast. If all the ice in the world melted, it would look a bit like this:

waterlevelMap02.jpg

An image of western connemara would look like this:

photo1.jpg

A bit more seriously though, theres a brilliant site here that lets you see how flooded your area might get as sea levels rise. We start losing a moderate lump of the east side of the city at around 2m, easily dealt with via dams, at 4m the front of Salthill and ocean-facing parts of town are gone, including a decent lump of the city centre, I'd assume this can also be protected with dykes, at some cost.

At ten meters forget it, the entire city centre is gone and the Corrib has become an inland sea, while Oranmore gets renamed the Oran Archipelago. However, Knocknacarra, a lot of the west side of the city and the new developments on the east side of the city out in Briarhill, Merlin park etc are pretty much intact. So I'd recommend that any new development if it wants to take that into account should focus on those areas.

I wouldn't get out the life rafts just yet though, at the current rate of sea level rises, we have anywhere between three and five thousand years before it reaches that stage.

It wouldn't take too much of an effort now to protect the low lying areas for the future, look at what the Dutch managed, and they went a step further and reclaimed land from the sea.

How much did it cost the Dutch? How much does it cost the Dutch? and How much will it cost the Dutch? I don't think it was without a lot of effort for the Dutch

Sea level rise is not constant. Currently it is accelerating. At the moment it is following the high end of predictions and according to recent scientific findings is likely to go beyond IPCC estimates. With current high end emission rates the sea-level rise for the century is potentially one to two metre. http://www.skepticalscience.com/sea-level-rise-predictions.htm
    and http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13721-sea-levels-will-rise-15-metres-by-2100.html
    There are also various tipping points that require watching out for which can rapidly accelerate sea level rise in the future. http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18383

• Advertisement

so is the discussion dead then Ted or what?

"
    "City development plan needs to deal with Galway’s water supply, warns An Taisce

Galway Advertiser, January 13, 2011.
    By Kernan Andrews
    Galway faces severe water shortages into the future not only from the effects of climate change, but also due to bad planning decisions.
    This is the view of An Taisce’s Derrick Hambleton, who is calling for a “serious local debate” on the city’s water supply."

This is from a recent article in the advertiser- climate change is likely to impact the city of Galway in many ways - not just sea-levels. In fact it's already impacted the city -flooding, global food prices etc

Advertisement