Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't we getting salt from the North?

Options
  • 20-12-2010 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

OK am I missing something here, we have barely any salt left, by the looks of it none in Donegal. Europe's biggest salt mine is in Carrickfergus, but the NRA is getting salt from Africa which *should* arrive into Belfast and Cork around Wednesday...WTF?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I would imagine it boils down to this.....

7319588-many-bundle-of-500-euro-bank-notes.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Somebody mentioned this the otehr day, crazy situation. The council is no longer buying the salt themselves and it is all centralized now. Wonder if the council would be able to afford it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

culdaffguy wrote: »
    OK am I missing something here, we have barely any salt left, by the looks of it none in Donegal. Europe's biggest salt mine is in Carrickfergus, but the NRA is getting salt from Africa which *should* arrive into Belfast and Cork around Wednesday...WTF?!

My guess is the carrickfergus mine is doing what so many other uk businesses do in ireland and that is to overcharge and try and rip poor paddy off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

The North imported salt from Spain, I believe.
    They prepared, in other words.
    Might it be too much to suggest that the South do likewise and stockpile sufficient salt and grit in future?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

The North imported salt from Spain, I believe.
    They prepared, in other words.
    Might it be too much to suggest that the South do likewise and stockpile sufficient salt and grit in future?

What do something sensible? You been out of the country for last few years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Ninjedi

Now hold on a minute people - if we keep wasting money on salt, and with these cutbacks to our fine TD's wages coming in, we may be faced with a crisis where said TD's may not be able to hire lackeys to clean the grounds of their estates (and I don't mean the type of estate most of us live in).

I ask you, what is the point in importing the finest European contractors to lay down three square miles of alabaster and porcelain around your mansion (that looks like a giant € sign when seen from space) if the whole thing is covered in feckin snow? Well!?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

Its all down to the decision to centralise the purchase to the NRA who I reckon are holding out on us following their poor preparation and are holding back for Leinster's needs.

I have heard though that there is talk of emergency supplies being sought by Donegal Co Co from Carrickfergus outside the NRA position

If it was down to simplicity and money, surely, trucking salt up from Cork where it is to arrive this week is unrealistic, expensive and goes against the Green party ethics into the bargain.

Centralised Government and the NRA have always shunned Donegal. They have f**ked up as usual this time.

As much as I am a nationalist, the UK/NI have always been better to/for Donegal than than the sham that is the Irish state and its agencies. Repeatedly over and over again, from the top right down. NRA, RTE, Bord Failte you name it Donegal never mattered and simply could be 'forgotten'.

Why do you think its called the forgotten county

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Well, apparently the authorities in "The North" are ordering salt from Egypt as their supplies are now at a dangerously low level. That was on the Highland Radio news this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

The salt mines in carrickfergus are a client of the company i work for. Apparently they are already at capacity supplying northern ireland and the uk and this is the reason why they havent brought any to southern ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

There's a news report on the Carrickfergus salt mine from March this year saying the mine was about to run out until they were granted permission to extend it. So perhaps they haven't done that yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭aridion

The mines at Carrick Fergus are mining 2,000 tons of salt a day at present. This is all going to The U.K. There is not enough salt to supply The Republic.
    Their yearly breakdown is 60 per cent salt to U.K, 20 per cent to Republic and a further 20 per cent to Eastern coast of United States.

Advertisement