Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP charging 400 euro for medical records

Options
  • 20-12-2010 4:00pm

My Mam passed away suddenly in Aug, as part of an investigation into her death, Im trying to get her Medical Records from her GP.
    No problem, however he is charging 400 euro for it. Im personally shocked I never would have dreamt the cost would be so high.
    I had to retrieve Hospital records through FOI but they only cost 75 euro.

Am I wrong in thinking this is extortionate ?
    I got on to the Medical Council, the HSE and Ombudsman. The GP can charge what he likes, as there is no legislation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It does seem extortionate. Even allowing for a few hours of clerking and photocopying, I wouldn't see this costing more that E100.

Ask your GP for a breakdown of the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

As far as I know, the max you can be charged for data held on you is €6.35

Thats as far as I know, we're doing data protection in business. LOL

Not sure if it is more than 6.35 if it's somebody elses records though.

dudara wrote: »
    It does seem extortionate. Even allowing for a few hours of clerking and photocopying, I wouldn't see this costing more that E100.

Ask your GP for a breakdown of the costs.

yes, we have asked him to provide break down , cost per page etc. Just awaiting reply from him.

Thanks. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

emmetmcl wrote: »
    As far as I know, the max you can be charged for data held on you is €6.35

Thats as far as I know, we're doing data protection in business. LOL

Not sure if it is more than 6.35 if it's somebody elses records though.
    It is not data about him though...

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Condolances on the passing of your mother.
    Jake1 wrote: »
    Im trying to get her Medical Records from her GP.

Was your mother a private patient or a medical card holder? FOI is relevant only if she has a medical card otherwise the records belong to the doctor and data protection is the way to go. Can the executor of her estate request them?

I had 2 very different experiences of this recently when looking for my vaccination records. I wrote to my childhood GP looking for them and offered to pay her as I knew she'd be going back to handwritten records from the 1980s but she didn't charge anything. Another doctor I visited in Dublin on one sigle occasion wanted €50 to say I had had chickenpox - I could tell him the exact date I had visited and everything. I reminded him that he had to give them to me under data protection and he tried to tell me that a copy of my records wouldn't be sufficient for the purpose I wanted them - they were.

Advertisement