Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops manufacturers in the US?

Options
  • 20-12-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

Put an order in with Kobalt Computers back at the start of October, but after a few months of delays I've decided to cancel...probably some the worst communications from any company I've ever dealt with...

Anyway, this means I still need a new laptop. I have a trip to the US planned for February so I thought I'd pick one up over there.

Does anyone know/have experience of good companies in the states who build decent gaming notebooks without the pricetag of an alienware?

Would have a budget in the region of $1800-$2k

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

sager/clevo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Sager seem to be a good bet.

I like the look of their NP8120.
    18.4" screen,
    Dual HD 5870 in Crossfire,
    i7 740QM processor,
    8Gb ram
    All for €1700?
    That's great value compared to Dell and UK equivilant companies like Rock or Kobalt.

they make monsters alight, good luck getting one sent here tho!

two things

1/ warranty

2/ getting raped by customs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

they make monsters alight, good luck getting one sent here tho!

two things

1/ warranty

2/ getting raped by customs

Add to that the horrible US keyboard layout...

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

.. and the voltage difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nadser wrote: »
    .. and the voltage difference

There's no issue with voltage differences every laptop power supply i've ever seen can handle voltages from 110v to 240v.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Well the warranty for sager seems to be ok, they only ship parts and provide support over the phone...
    Plus it being a clevo laptop I'm sure it wont be too hard to get it fixed if something goes very wrong...

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GarRo247

BizzyC wrote: »
    Well the warranty for sager seems to be ok, they only ship parts and provide support over the phone...
    Plus it being a clevo laptop I'm sure it wont be too hard to get it fixed if something goes very wrong...

<SNIP>

<SNIP>

yer grand so

<SNIP>

a beefed up sager would be my first port of call if i got a new machine.

not over priced alienware crap

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

BizzyC wrote: »

<SNIP>
    GarRo247 wrote: »
    <SNIP>
    yer grand so

<SNIP>

a beefed up sager would be my first port of call if i got a new machine.

not over priced alienware crap

Discussion of how to avoid tax is against the forum charter. If it continues the ban stick comes out!

• Advertisement
Advertisement