Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An alternative christmas roast: Turducken (aka the 3 bird roast)

Options
  • 20-12-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

although I really love ham (& anything else pig based) i'm not a great lover of turkey as it just feels & tastes to me like a big dried chicken, so i decided to give it a bit of a twist this year as we're hosting the annual family xmas dinner.

enter the turducken, which for the uninitiated is a de-boned duck, inside a de-boned chicken, inside a de-boned turkey.

thankfully, i found a great butcher in the form of hugh maguire in ashbourne (formally of navan where i live so its a bit of a trek, but well worth it imho).

everything else is going to be a normal sort of xmas affair with the usual bits and bobs, but i was wondering if anyone else is going to give the turducken or anything else slightly different a go this year?

i was originally thinking of goose, but i couldn't convince my wife to go for it as she's never had it before. turducken was a little easier since everyone likes chicken, duck & turkey already so although the method & execution are new, there's nothing unknown as far as the actual meat goes.

i'l let you know how i get on. :)

also, i just read the wikipedia article on turducken and this gave me a giggle. :)
    In a Thanksgiving special of Red vs. Blue, Sarge decides to make his own version of a turducken that consists of a hummingbird, sparrow, cornish hen, chicken, duck, turkey, another turkey (with a picture of Michael Moore), penguin, peacock, eagle, albatross, emu, ostrich, leopard, a pterodactyl, and a Boeing 747.
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

vibe666 wrote: »
    although I really love ham (& anything else pig based) i'm not a great lover of turkey as it just feels & tastes to me like a big dried chicken,

I used to think the same about turkey, and there's no doubt a bad turkey can be like chewing cardboard.

But the last couple of Christmases my mother has started getting turkey from a producer in Westmeath who does them fresh and free-range, and the difference is amazing. Succulent, juicy and delicious, the difference in free range organic meat is something you can't appreciate until you've had it.

i was originally thinking of goose, but i couldn't convince my wife to go for it as she's never had it before.

That's a pity, as goose is fab and would definitely be my first choice for Christmas dinner, as much as I like turkey and ham. You'll have to talk her into it for next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i think i can convince her to do it another time, but her family can be a tiny bit fussy and it's very hard to get them to try new things and i don't think xmas dinner is going to be the right time. at least with the turducken even tho it's new to them its still 3 meats they already know and her mother says she's going to do ham too and bring that with her, so nobody is going to go hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭coffee to go

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

vibe666 wrote: »

i was originally thinking of goose, but i couldn't convince my wife to go for it as she's never had it before.
    :D

If someone likes duck, then chances are that they will like goose.
    If someone finds duck too fatty, then forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

That is all.
    damn, now i've got some severe meat envy. :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement