Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ash trees

Options
  • 20-12-2010 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I was wondering about buying young ash trees to plant and cut for firewood in years to come any idea where I could buy them in Midwest area and how much would they be

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Canis_Lupus

How many would you be looking to buy? I've used future forests before. There in Cork but they posted over a thousand trees to me and for a good price too. Theres also Coillte nurseries I think they are in Carlow.

You should find the websites of both places if you google them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

How many would you be looking to buy? I've used future forests before. There in Cork but they posted over a thousand trees to me and for a good price too. Theres also Coillte nurseries I think they are in Carlow.

You should find the websites of both places if you google them.
    I think coillte have stopped selling

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

just took delivery of 150 ash trees about 3 - 4 ft tall €170 delivered from a crowd called"none so hardy"forestrys ltd google them don't have a number to hand. stuff looks good quality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

www.hedges.ie

Its run by P Larkin Ag Consultants and they're advertising it big time around here. They're based in Roscommon and deliver nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pmct

Thanks for the info all I want really is to plant about 10 a year so in years to come I will have fire wood if I buy 10ft trees how long will it take for them to grow into tree fit for cutting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

pmct wrote: »
    Thanks for the info all I want really is to plant about 10 a year so in years to come I will have fire wood if I buy 10ft trees how long will it take for them to grow into tree fit for cutting

To be honest, if you are only planting 10 per year, you are talking about 25 years before you will be able to saw them for any major return and even at that your tres will only have diameters of 6 to 10 inches. If you were planting 2 acres with a couple of thousand trees, you could get thinnings after 10 years, but you would want a good few of them. I'm burning willow at the moment in my gasifying boiler. They are coppacing from hedgerows and are between 4 and 8 inches in diameter. They have been dried for 8 months and are burning very well - not as good as ash, but they only took 10 years to grow. It is possible that if you planted willow now, you could be coppacing some of it for firewood within 8 years. And you won't ever need to replant it.

I plan to plant a quarter acre of willow in bogland every year from now on. Its simple and free. All I have to do is cut willow slips from trees, dip them in rooting powder and stick them in the ground and they will grow. They will need care for a year or 2 like removing the grass from around them but when they get above the grass, they will really take off. So in 10 years time, I should have my own supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

reilig wrote: »
    To be honest, if you are only planting 10 per year, you are talking about 25 years before you will be able to saw them for any major return and even at that your tres will only have diameters of 6 to 10 inches.

Reilig,

pmct enquired about planting 10ft trees - wouldn't they be a lot bigger than 6-10" diameter in 25 years?

LostCovey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

pmct wrote: »
    I was wondering about buying young ash trees to plant and cut for firewood in years to come any idea where I could buy them in Midwest area and how much would they be

If you only need 10 trees then PM me and i'll arrange for another consultant forester to give you a few. If you are near Leitrim, i have about 130,000 sitting on a site at the moment and you are welcome to take a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Hi all.
    I am looking to plant a few acres of trees for firewood. Ash and maybe mixed with something a bit faster growing. Would like to do now ( have I missed the window ?) to catch this years growth. Any ideas what way to go about this and keep the cost down ? Who should I talk to and what do you think I should plant ? Finally, any rough ideas on what it would cost per a for the trees and alsoto plant ( if I can't do it )
    Many thanks for your help

Keving

• Registered Users Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

LostCovey wrote: »
    Reilig,

pmct enquired about planting 10ft trees - wouldn't they be a lot bigger than 6-10" diameter in 25 years?

LostCovey

My experience of ASH is that it can match the growth rate of even some of the conifers in the right setting:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Kevin you should contact a forestry company, you may be elligible for a grant for this work.

check out this thread for some links

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054994520

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Thanks for the info lads

Have talked to a few lads, and grants are out. I bought a wee bit of land beside me for a site for the little lad when he grows up, and if I plant it, it will/may cause probs at a later date. I was looking at planting it so as to get some return in the meantime. Now looking at just planting the boundarys, maybe 7-8 deep, for our own firewood needs (in the future). Was told I could get a 1000 for 100-200 euro from coillte, true ? Called them but have yet to hear back.
    Was going to plant a few 1000 in various sizes, so as too stagger supply, any ideas or thoughts lads ? Where do you think the best prices can be had ? Best types to plant, etc

Once again. thanks for all the help and advice ;)

Advertisement