Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of the Gulf stream?

Options
  • 20-12-2010 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

I've just seen a video on YouTube about how the BP oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico has caused the Gulf stream to fail. They apparently have sprayed the oil with dispersant chemicals that just causes the oil to sink to the ocean floor,90% of the oil is there just can't see it and it has killed the Gulf loop stream. So they are saying we will have a white Christmas,new year,valentines day etc.... I really hope it's not true :(

Ps search for the video with, Britain to freeze with death of the Gulf stream

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

The reason we are getting cold weather this year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Atlantic_oscillation

It's negative this year... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Meh, at least then it would be consistently cold and we could get on with things and cope with the snow.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Inbox wrote: »
    I've just seen a video on YouTube about how the BP oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico has caused the Gulf stream to fail. They apparently have sprayed the oil with dispersant chemicals that just causes the oil to sink to the ocean floor,90% of the oil is there just can't see it and it has killed the Gulf loop stream. So they are saying we will have a white Christmas,new year,valentines day etc.... I really hope it's not true :(

Ps search for the video with, Britain to freeze with death of the Gulf stream

The video is a conspiracy theory/hoax.

Sleep easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Well if it is true I'm moving somewhere warm. I freezing my balls off here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LOL! If the Gulf Stream had failed we'd really know about it and a few spots of oil certainly won't have any effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,415 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

watch the day after tomorrow its a documentary about the gulfstream failing ;)

Well if it is true I'm moving somewhere warm. I freezing my balls off here.

Put them back in your trousers then ffs! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

If there's one thing that I really hate it has to be weather! There's been so much of it this year it's crazy!!!

2011 will have less due to the IMF cutbacks.

Hard to think of a time in my life when there hasn't been weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Tony Hayward has already apologised for this.

BP really are sorry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I really do hope the gulf stream does fail and give us a continental climate unlike the crap we usually get, I'd gladly swap all that rain for 3 months of snow and ice and 2 long months of extremely dry hot summers. Ireland has one of the worst climates in the world as it basically rains all the time.

Snow and ice is no problem if the average Irish thicko driver got a pair of winter tyres and some chains for heavy snow. Insulate your houses properly and stop hiring cowboys to do building work laying pipes three inches under the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

No, Ireland has one of the best in the world with its constant rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

mike65 wrote: »
    LOL! If the Gulf Stream had failed we'd really know about it and a few spots of oil certainly won't have any effect.

I think it has more to do with the dispersants they used in the gulf.
    Apparently the loop current was effected by dispersants being used far too deep below the surface.

Ah its nonsense either way. The winter weather, as mentioned above, is down to a very negative NAO.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

drdeadlift wrote: »
    Apparently the loop current was effected by dispersants being used far too deep below the surface.

NOT TRUE!

The NOAA has a website showing the temp and speed of the gulf stream and it hasn't been weakened at all.

On top of that, people have been re-stating this lie for a year ad it still isn't true.

Move this thread to conspiracy theories please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    NOT TRUE!

The NOAA has a website showing the temp and speed of the gulf stream and it hasn't been weakened at all.

On top of that, people have been re-stating this lie for a year ad it still isn't true.

Move this thread to conspiracy theories please.

very well then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

drdeadlift wrote: »

Dispersants ...despite their very scientifical (and sinister) sounding name ...are nothing more than glorified washing-up liquid.

They won't stop anything, never mind the gulf stream ...worst case scenario you'd get foam and soap bubbles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Where'd all the oil go then?

That sludge may have an impact on the gulf stream don't ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭whippet

salonfire wrote: »

The gulf stream is an unimaginable force of nature ... I honestly don't think mankind has either the technology or resources at the moment to alter it's course ... But I'm sure Jim Corr could make up a theory if you really wanted one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Its amazing the conclusions a simple lack of understanding will bring you to, as above - NAO is to blame, its funny how its always overlooked in favour of something more sensationalist.

literally a drop in the ocean, the gulf stream is a surface current driven by the prevailing winds. Whats happening now is most likely caused by the lack of solar activity. Australia is getting snow in summer.....thats definitely not the gulf stream. However during the little ice age the NAO was also negative and the change in wind direction meant the gulf stream looped back west of Spain instead of passing by here meaning a feedback loop came into force.

Its amazing the conclusions a simple lack of understanding will bring you to, as above - NAO is to blame, its funny how its always overlooked in favour of something more sensationalist.

Agreed. It's up there with people saying "I'm not an expert on this, but surely....."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Stinicker wrote: »
    I really do hope the gulf stream does fail and give us a continental climate unlike the crap we usually get, I'd gladly swap all that rain for 3 months of snow and ice and 2 long months of extremely dry hot summers. Ireland has one of the worst climates in the world as it basically rains all the time.

Snow and ice is no problem if the average Irish thicko driver got a pair of winter tyres and some chains for heavy snow. Insulate your houses properly and stop hiring cowboys to do building work laying pipes three inches under the ground.

im inclinded to agree with you , i find the cold weather very refreshing ( litterally ) and healthy , once your prepared ( proper insultated pipes and house , tyres ) , its no big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I don't think the GS (NAD) died but it does seem a bit unwell. Maybe it's having a power nap.

Seriously, the strength of the current is partly determined by atmospheric features and the cause and effect directionality is not well understood. To some extent, the reduced current could be an effect rather than a cause.

Something similar happened in late 1962. There was no big oil spill then, far as I know. While I don't have any proof and wouldn't want to dismiss a plausible idea out of hand, I am also unaware of any serious scientific discussion of the oil spill slowing down the Gulf Stream.

It seems more likely that it's part of a 3-5 year cooler climatic regime over the Atlantic basin in general. Think back to 2003-07, several very mild winters and hot summers in that run, lasting to April 2007. Then solar activity reached a long-term low, Europe's climate cooled noticeably throughout the year, and we seem to be at absolute rock bottom now. It could last a while. People talk about the Sun as if the quiet spell is over and it's bristling with activity, but the numbers show a much more gradual return to service that might only peak in a moderate or even weak cycle around 2013.

What may be really noteworthy is that ice could contact Iceland and start spreading around its north coast this winter, as was often the case in the past in colder climatic episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I don't know if people thought I was being sarcastic with my last post, but I am serious when I say that our near-constant rain makes for a great climate. We don't realise how lucky we are, nowhere else has such a consistent and favorable climate as here, and it makes the weather we're having now be even more of a treat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Have you any idea of the comparitive sizes of the mass of water that is the gulf stream and that 'relatively' teeny weeny drop of oil. Not to mention that the gulf stream is multilayered current. There is ZERO chance of the BP oil halting it. Now melting ice dumping fresh water into the NA thats another matter.

Geex youtube is a great facility but it really p's me off how every looney with a hairbrained idea gets to peddle crap backed up by half truths and downright lies. Sadly they rely on the fact that joe public does not have the time/inkling/energy/ability/iq (delete as appropriate) to go and check it out for themselves and so swallows it blindly and maybe even buys the book/dvd.

Advertisement