Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noise Reduction Software

• 20-12-2010 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering whats the best software for removing/reducing noise, particularly in photos taken with a high ISO. I'd welcome any input!

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS5 have superb noise reduction built in

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

Is Noise ninja as good as it gets though? If others are using other programs I'd very interested in hearing

thanks borderfox - In your opinion is Lightroom 3 noise reduction comparable with Noise ninja etc?

Very much so, I also use Topaz Adjust/De Noise - very good at decreasing noise and keeping detail. Lightroom and CS5 are superb though

• Advertisement

I was checking out Topaz DeNoise earlier today, I thought it was scrubbing off an excessive amount of detail (and I was playing with strengths fairly extensively)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I find LR3's luminance NR the best, though I have never used noise Ninja.

I use it within Topaz Adjust and set it to 1.00 and 0.75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Lightroom 3 has a 30 day trial, quite happy with its noise reduction. Probably best for you to play with a few on a sample image and see which results you like best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Nik software's Dfine is also good, worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Borderfox wrote: »
    Very much so, I also use Topaz Adjust/De Noise - very good at decreasing noise and keeping detail. Lightroom and CS5 are superb though

+1 for Lightroom 3 , excellent Noise reduction.

much improved on the previous versions.

I didn't care much for noise ninja tbh, maybe I was using it wrong, but doesn't matter now with LR3...

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

this is great software :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

I use noiseware professional and I think its great

Before

8FA665A8FD3E4DBAB6DD880291E581D7-800.jpg

After

E1C586618EDE49D7B5E97C771320F3B4-800.jpg

Best viewed at largest to see real comparison

Thanks for all the input. I've looked and am continueing to examine the various options. Lightroom 3 does actually do a pretty good job, and in direct comparison with Noise Ninja (granted it was only one image), I think Lightroom out performs it. I was also seeing some really unpleasant artifacts in Noise Ninja when I really pushed the strength of the noise reduction. I also looked at Noiseware, quite impressed with its performance too. Though I do think the above images are slightly misleading, there is generally a drop in contrast in at least one region of the image, whereas the above processed image definitely has contrast and/or saturation increased.

Advertisement