Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER SURF DESTINATIONS??

Options
  • 20-12-2010 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,

Trying to plan a holiday with my other half for summer 2011. She wants sea and sand, I want surf!

To compromise could anyone tell me where the best spots with decent surf (must be outside Ireland) are for june/july period? :confused:

Open to all suggestions! :)
    cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

How much cash do you have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 soul_surfer

we have been saving for a while so cash is'nt that much of an issue.

have u somewhere in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

i'd be off to bali if I were you.

had a look at Bali alright.....

have you been before? any recommendations about where to stay etc?

cheers

Costa Rica or Mexico

Or da maldives...

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, so ive taken youre advice and Bali and da maldives are looking like potential runners, have any of you been before?

Are there any areas/resorts with decent breaks within walking distance of hotels? ideal scenario would be where I could get up early pop out for a surf, spend some time with gf and maybe catch a late surf as well. best of both worlds I suppose!:)

Maldives seems to require boat transfers to access a lot of the breaks..

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ruanaidh

Was in Bali there in July. Clean perfect waves practically every day if you make the effort to look......heaven really!! If you are serious about your surfing the best bet is to head to the Bukit Peninsula. If you want to party and catching waves comes 2nd on your agenda you'll be better off staying in Kuta.

When I got there I stayed in Legian for a few days to get over the jet lag. I surfed the beach break for those days and found it a good way to climatize before heading south. I got a taxi from Legian to Bingin. I had nothing booked but found a place called Pondok Indah for only 100K a night. It was pretty basic with mosi nets, cold water shower and it has a communal area with hammocks, TV and loads of DVDs. Lynnie who owns the place, keeps a tab of all food/drink consumed during the time spent there and you can settle up when ya leave. Her banana pancakes are highly recommended. The break at Bingin is only a 2 min walk away.

You'll need your own transport when you are in Bukit to get to the other breaks/shops and bars. I rented a scooter with a board rack from a shop on the main road up from Pondok Indah for 50K a day. Be sure that you get a helmet as you don't want the cops to stop you as they'll likely demand a considerable bribe. Padang Padang is only a 5 min drive away. (Had my best session there....it will bring a smile to my face for the rest of my life :D). Uluwatu is 15 mins away. You can get to Dreamlands by driving cross country from Pondok Indah.

I'd advise that you bring a survival kit of peroxide, a tooth brush for scrubbing wounds from coral, bandages, mosi repellent and a bug spray for your room.

Does your partner dive or snorkle???

Boat trip in the maldives would be the business:D

Advertisement