Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guards on Abbey St

Options
  • 20-12-2010 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Anyone see what happened on Abbey St in the last few mins ??
    Guy wrapped in blanket on ground. Luas stopped in both directions and more cops there than at the templemore Christmas party !

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Did you not think about going up to the scene and asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Just gone out but told 4 diff stories. Dont want to speculate until facts are known. Just thought someone might have seen it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from after hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

there was somthing about a crash on the luas in the star today, but if its in the star today i assume it was yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭cazwhatever

Posted on the weather forum that a woman was killed by a garda car.

Should have mentioned, I didn't post it, just read it there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

jesus christ that's terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

6.01 news said Luas is only running to Smithfield because of a crash in the city center

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

I saw the whole thing myself this afternoon while waiting for someone at the entrance to the Epicurial Food Hall. The was a big commotion at Arnotts as loads of Gardaí and Arnotts security guards were trying to arrest a shoplifter. She was screaming blue murder and seemed quite old, maybe late 50s / 60s, and she also had crutches. A Garda van arrived and they were trying to get her into it. She was refusing to move and was pulling back against the three or four guards who were trying to move her in.

A Garda car arrived on the scene from Liffey Street direction. The car couldn't stop with the ice and crushed everyone between the van and front of the car. There was a load bang and screams.

One of the Gardaí seemed pretty hurt but was able to stand up after a while. The woman didn't move and remained on the ground until the fire brigades and ambulances arrived.

I hadn't heard that she had died as I'm just in the door. I'm very sorry to hear that. In this weather nobody should be driving fast and the Garda car's breaks just completely failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

I saw the whole thing myself this afternoon while waiting for someone at the entrance to the Epicurial Food Hall. The was a big commotion at Arnotts as loads of Gardaí and Arnotts security guards were trying to arrest a shoplifter. She was screaming blue murder and seemed quite old, maybe late 50s / 60s, and she also had crutches. A Garda van arrived and they were trying to get her into it. She was refusing to move and was pulling back against the three or four guards who were trying to move her in.

A Garda car arrived on the scene from Liffey Street direction. The car couldn't stop with the ice and crushed everyone between the van and front of the car. There was a load bang and screams.

One of the Gardaí seemed pretty hurt but was able to stand up after a while. The woman didn't move and remained on the ground until the fire brigades and ambulances arrived.

I hadn't heard that she had died as I'm just in the door. I'm very sorry to hear that. In this weather nobody should be driving fast and the Garda car's breaks just completely failed.

Why was he drving so fast? That is a disgrace if he was driving dangerously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

.Thanks for elabourating. Jesus that's terrible,...had heard there was a crash but didn't realise the extent of it.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Nothing reported on rte or breakingnews so hopefully that poster jumped to conclusions and no one was severely hurt. There's already been enough sad deaths in the last week, I hope there hasn't been another.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

NickDrake wrote: »

Sorry but where did it say that the garda car was being driven at speed or being driven dangerously ??

Just because it involves a garda car doesn't mean that it is immune to skidding on ice.

Jesus that's terrible, if true.

Hopefully it'll bring up how poorly equipped An Garda Sìochàna are for snow. Two weeks ago, when the snow first hit, I seen a Garda car sliding past me in a housing estate. It was actually comical looking the way it slid down the road, practically sideways.

AGS should have chains or tyres or 4x4s for this weather. The current Garda cars shouldn't be allowed to respond to any situations were a speedy response is required in their current state.

To the poster who seen it, was the Garda car driving normally, or had they got the foot down and blues on? Doesn't sound like an emergency situation (sounds like the Garda car wasn't even needed, to be honest).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

NickDrake wrote: »

Oh yeah... and forget about what required them to attend...

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    Sorry but where did it say that the garda car was being driven at speed or being driven dangerously ??

It was implied in this bit:

"In this weather nobody should be driving fast and the Garda car's breaks just completely failed."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Ian Beale wrote: »
    Nothing reported on rte or breakingnews so hopefully that poster jumped to conclusions and no one was severely hurt. There's already been enough sad deaths in the last week, I hope there hasn't been another.

Surprise surprise! :rolleyes:
    spoonface wrote: »
    It was implied in this bit:

"In this weather nobody should be driving fast and the Garda car's breaks just completely failed."

I'd like to think that the "breaks completely failing" is a nice excuse for the guards driving recklessly in the first place? It seems like such a good excuse in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Every day of the week I see marked and unmarked squad cars hairing up and down Abbey St at really exesive speeds. Usually to nab some shop lifter.
    They really do drive too fast especially since it is a major pedestrian area

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

will1977 wrote: »
    Every day of the week I see marked and unmarked squad cars hairing up and down Abbey St at really exesive speeds. Usually to nab some shop lifter.
    They really do drive too fast especially since it is a major pedestrian area

But not a pedestrianised area. Too many people walk aimlessly without paying attention around there because of the Luas tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

will1977 wrote: »

How do you know that it's "usually to nab some shoplifter". Do you always follow Garda cars to see where they're going.

You're just speculating there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

And the irony of it all is that the woman who caused the accident by resisting arrest, will probably sue and get compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

I don't want to give the impression that the Garda car was blaring down the road with the lights on but obviously it was going too fast for the conditions and tried to pull up too close to the incident, when breaking distances are multiplied in icy conditions.

As the previous poster mentioned about the victim being entitled to compensation the other irony being if the suspected shoplifter had just cooperated with the Gardaí and security guards in the first instance and got into the Garda van without resisting there would have been no injury in the first place.

Very relieved by the Irish Independent article that states that she wasn't killed. When I was there she was lying on the ground and not moving or making a sound and they were placing blankets over her. When I saw the earlier post implying she had died it seemed valid based on what I'd seen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement