Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wish it was still active online (Good ol' days thread)

Options
  • 20-12-2010 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭

Remember those games that you used to enjoy playing but are no longer as active online or has completely shut down altogether? What are your games that you wish were still active?

Sega Rally (probably not the best choice, but damn it was fun online)

Unreal Tournament 3 (theres still a few people playing the PS3 version, but I think it was simply overshadowed by the CoD hype)

TimeSplitters: Future Perfect (died way too soon)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Call of Duty: United Offensive ( nothing will ever compete with foy base assault
    Guild Wars (some places are a ghost town/continent)
    Fear Combat - PB support switched off - fun game destroyed
    SWAT4 /Stechkov Syndicate - amazing coop game(s) shame they never really caught on

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Both UT3 and COD UO still have large fan bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Never played SWAT4 online but put many hours into the LAN COOP with a friend of mine. Fcukin epic game. Can imagine what it would be like online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I know C&C RA2 is not 'gone'

But I do miss playing it online, until the very early morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Oh, and one more game I've got...Red Faction Guerrilla. Man, I loved taking out players with my sledgehammer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Team Fortress Classic

:(

Calling All Cars. I don't care what anyone says, but there should've been more people playing it online before they shut down the servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Both UT3 and COD UO still have large fan bases.

Can never find a game on the PS3 version unfortunately. :( Pity, love that game - Capture the Flag on Coret ... nothing beats it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Agricola wrote: »
    Never played SWAT4 online but put many hours into the LAN COOP with a friend of mine. Fcukin epic game. Can imagine what it would be like online.

Its better with friends , onlines not bad now and it wasnt that long ago that I played it and got some online games.

But its deffo best played with a few mates and not just randomers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The problem I find with console games is that online communities tend to be dead about 4 months after the games release unless it's a big one and there's no dedicated servers to keep a community going. On PC the community does be going for years. Was playing Quake shareware nearly 10 years after it was released and even obscure games like Outlaws managed to sustain an online community for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

quake
    quake 3
    cs 1.6.

a good 10 years of my life spent on those games online. the move from dedicated servers to p2p servers will kill online gaming if it hasn't already.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The problem I find with console games is that online communities tend to be dead about 4 months after the games release unless it's a big one and there's no dedicated servers to keep a community going. On PC the community does be going for years. Was playing Quake shareware nearly 10 years after it was released and even obscure games like Outlaws managed to sustain an online community for ages.
    Halo 2 used P2P matchmaking and the community on that game lasted until MS pulled the plug on classic XBL games online. But that game was hyped to death back in the day, so you can see why it lasted so long.
    quake
    quake 3
    cs 1.6.

a good 10 years of my life spent on those games online. the move from dedicated servers to p2p servers will kill online gaming if it hasn't already.
    Don't forget UT99 and Halo PC. They still usually have over 1,000 people playing online on them at a time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Halo 2 used P2P matchmaking and the community on that game lasted until MS pulled the plug on classic XBL games online. But that game was hyped to death back in the day, so you can see why it lasted so long.

Yeah but it was the most popular game on the system. Try getting a game of even some recent moderately successful games on Xbox live and nobody will be playing.

Couldn't get a game of Kane and Lynch 3 weeks after release.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Couldn't get a game of Kane and Lynch 3 weeks after release.

More surprised you still wanted to play it 3 weeks after release :P

More surprised you still wanted to play it 3 weeks after release :P

Heard the multiplayer was passable so was trying to get at least some value for money out of it. It really was terrible.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Swat 4 fantastic game very buggy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Half-life Deathmatch. I played a bit of Doom multiplayer, kinda skipped Quake, but HLDM was the first one I really got into. Loved the meatiness of the shotgun, the slickness of the crossbow and the sheer satisfaction of headshotting someone with the magnum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Rainbow 6, awesome game which I really kicked ass at. I remember you used to have to go onto the MSN Gaming Zone and join / create a table like you used to do with the online Checkers game.

Then Unreal Tournament 1 with a ridiculous amount of mods. My game was like a mutant with all of them.

Ah..........the days before "n00b" and "pwned!". Haven't bothered with online much until Left 4 Dead dragged me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Forum pimp Tactical Gaming We still play Swat4/ Ravenshield/Ghost recon online :pac:

Bf42 and Bfv/2 can still get a game but its public for the most part prefer to play with mates.

Advertisement