Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Runners at a wedding

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Paparazzo wrote: »
    runners are likely to be offensive to the couple, especially the bride.

Do you know the couple in question? Is she particularly anal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Tell him to roll up the sleeves of his suit and then his outfit will have that Miami Vice 80s vibe. He could start a trend. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

If it was my own wedding I'd be seriously pissed with my mate but given the situation I wouldn't push it.

Although I don't really get the whole runners at formal occasions thing. Is it a way to show the person is alternative or doesn't conform like the rest of the sheep? I never understood it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

White runners on black suit (maybe he's wearing white ? ) is more Rabb C Nesbitt / Boys From the Blackstuff than Miami voice ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Ficheall wrote: »

"likely"
    And as someone pointed out, its a wedding, not a teenage disco.

MediumWell wrote: »
    If it was my own wedding I'd be seriously pissed with my mate but given the situation I wouldn't push it.

Although I don't really get the whole runners at formal occasions thing. Is it a way to show the person is alternative or doesn't conform like the rest of the sheep? I never understood it tbh.
    Hmmm...yes might be other issues going on here that we don't know about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

thats a very personal question!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

I wore black Dc's at the last wedding I was at..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

How old is your "mate".........7?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

haha wow, I can't believe people feel so strongly.
    I'd look like a gimp in a suit, if you'll pardon the pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

CONFORM! CONFORM! SNARL! SPIT! *froths at the mouth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

CONFORM! CONFORM! SNARL! SPIT! *froths at the mouth

What better way of "sticking it to the man" than wearing runners at your mates wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I think the big question is why two lads were talking to each about what they were going to wear to a wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Sure wouldnt it be worse if he turned up barefoot :D

Paparazzo wrote: »
    What better way of "sticking it to the man" than wearing runners at your mates wedding.

I know!

• Advertisement

donmeister wrote: »
    Sure wouldnt it be worse if he turned up barefoot :D

Ah ....Just like a good old hippy/new age wedding ( sigh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Runners of all types at a wedding just make you look like a lazy fvck. Tell your mate to grow up and put on a pair of shoes

..on his ears?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

..on his ears?

ooops Fixed. His feet would be more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

It doesn't effect you what he does. Does it really? No!
    If he wants to do it let him. He doesn't care what other people think and in my opinion that is a really important thing. He is himself and in my eyes that is something that is really important. I also find that most brides and grooms want there guest to be happy on there special day. Don't they? Now I'm not saying wear a chicken costume to somebodies wedding but does a pair of runners really effect the day?
    Is he giving them a gift for there wedding? If so he isn't really getting free food and drink!

• Advertisement

cooltown wrote: »
    Is he giving them a gift for there wedding? If so he isn't really getting free food and drink!

He should give them a pair of shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Got to say, it does annoy me when people don't make the effort for formal events. I hate suit trousers (seriously, why are none of them warm?!) and not much I hate as much as dress shoes, but if I'm going to a formal event, I still wear them, because that's what's expected, and when other people dress down, I have to say, it does grate a little. If I hosted such an event as a wedding and someone did me the discourtesy of turning up in casual dress, I'd be pretty pissed. To my mind, it is just a lack of respect. It says "Nah, I decided I didn't care what you wanted, despite the fact it's your party/wedding/whatever and I could just turn up wearing whatever I wanted." To be honest, anyone who treated me that badly would probably be shown the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

BigDuffman wrote: »
    I also hate seeing people carrying coffins / in court with tucked out shirts or wearing tracksuits (why can scumbags never wear their shirts tucked in?).

I wouldnt dream of wearing a tracksuit in any circumstances but I also wouldnt dream of tucking my shirt in (Unless as part of a suit) because both make you look like a twat.

Got to say, it does annoy me when people don't make the effort for formal events. I hate suit trousers (seriously, why are none of them warm?!) and not much I hate as much as dress shoes, but if I'm going to a formal event, I still wear them, because that's what's expected, and when other people dress down, I have to say, it does grate a little. If I hosted such an event as a wedding and someone did me the discourtesy of turning up in casual dress, I'd be pretty pissed. To my mind, it is just a lack of respect. It says "Nah, I decided I didn't care what you wanted, despite the fact it's your party/wedding/whatever and I could just turn up wearing whatever I wanted." To be honest, anyone who treated me that badly would probably be shown the door.

So... you hate dress shoes, and acknowledge that other people prefer not to wear them, yet you'd still want everyone to wear them to an event you were hosting without you asking them in advance to do so? Care to explain the logic behind that one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

So... you hate dress shoes, and acknowledge that other people prefer not to wear them, yet you'd still want everyone to wear them to an event you were hosting without you asking them in advance to do so? Care to explain the logic behind that one?

It's a wedding (For argument's sake - if it's a formal party, it'll be advertised as such) so everyone knows it's a formal event. I never said anything about acknowledging that others prefer not to wear them (no shít - I also prefer not to wear them, but it's not the point). If people turn up to weddings in their street clothes, it's disrespectful, in my opinion. Certainly I would feel disrespected in the extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

sure why not just show up in a t-shirt and jeans? Or better yet, PJ's. If thats what you're comfortable in? :rolleyes:

Dressing well when attending a formal function just shows respect. It shows that you actually care about the people hosting and want to look your best for them.

If your shoes are uncomfortabe, splash out on a good pair, not ones from Penny's and they wont be. TBH they'll last you years because you'll only wear them a handful of times.

It says "Nah, I decided I didn't care what you wanted, despite the fact it's your party/wedding/whatever and I could just turn up wearing whatever I wanted."

I'd regard that as acknowledging that the person in question didn't like wearing them.
    Not that that's important anyway.

If a friend of mine ever took offence at something I was wearing (barring, say, swastikas or some really inappropriate t-shirt) then I would seriously question the value of said friendship.
    For the record, if at some time in the future any of you happen to be at my wedding, I really couldn't care less what you choose to wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

If the bride and groom don't care I don't see why you should.
    I saw him at his uncles funeral, carrying the coffin, with a hoodie, jeans and runners on him.
    He was there to pay his respects to his uncle not to impress onlookers. I wore my everyday clothes to my fathers funeral. None of my family gave a crap what I wore, they were more concerned with the fact that our father was dead. My father was never impressed by fancy clothes so if I had have worn a suit it would have only been to impress other people, which I didn't care about. I never wore a suit when my father was alive and he still loved me. It's depressing enough when a loved one dies without worrying about crap like wearing a suit and tie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Total disrespect not to dress formally at a formal event such as a wedding or a funeral.

Wear a black suit at a funeral out of respect.
    The only people I have ever seen at a funeral wearing runners are mentally retarded people where they are allowed wear as they like in order to keep them as relaxed as possible. Otherwise it's just ignorant.

People who don't make an effort at a wedding shouldn't go. Total lack of respect. The only people who can get away with it are infants and kids. Otherwise you just look like a simpleton or a chav.

Tell me this, would that same clown who only wears runners go for an interview with them on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I wear these with a Suit all the time
    http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/co/converse-male-one-star-1974-suede-upper-in-black-and-white.jpg

I also have a pair without any of the White details for 'Formal' Occasions

and a Pair of canvas Hightops for more Casual events

But something like a nice Pair of skate shoes is Not going to look odd with a suit, but something more colourful will like some ofd those atrocious Air Max thingys or anything with a logo emblazoned on them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Wearing formal shoes is just a non-runner for some people with fallen arches or other painful conditions.
    syklops wrote: »
    I was recently invited to a wedding. There was some cockup with the invites and I didnt get the invite until the day before the wedding. It was too late to rent anything and I had nothing nice at all to wear so I didnt go.

The couple in question were very disappointed I didnt show and the groom very pissed off, at the reason why.

The guy was pissed of you with for not going to a wedding he invited you to the day before. FFS...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Total disrespect not to dress formally at a formal event such as a wedding or a funeral.

Wear a black suit at a funeral out of respect.
    The only people I have ever seen at a funeral wearing runners are mentally retarded people where they are allowed wear as they like in order to keep them as relaxed as possible. Otherwise it's just ignorant.

People who don't make an effort at a wedding shouldn't go. Total lack of respect. The only people who can get away with it are infants and kids. Otherwise you just look like a simpleton or a chav.

Tell me this, would that same clown who only wears runners go for an interview with them on?

Agree with you completely but you can't use the word retarded in this context. It is far more disrespectful and before anyone starts I am not too PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

I can understand why people will defend him saying its only a pair of runners but the chap wore jeans, runners and hoodie while carrying his uncle's coffin at the funeral!! :eek: thats just taking the p*ss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 burgerhead

You should tell him that he has an infinitely better chance of copping off with some young wan or a bridesmaid at the wedding if he's all suited, booted and sweet smelling than if he's dressed like a skanger. That might get him thinking.
    Having said that I've been to weddings where people have shown up dressed in unusual garb. When I say unusual I mean not conforming to the strict suit and black shoes code. Went to a wedding in London once. The couple were skinheads (not the neo-nazi thugs that one thinks of but the smooth ska-music types). Groom had sharp two-tone suit with spit-shined loafers. Bride had white-mini dress, white fishnets and white monkey boots. They looked great. There were all types there...rastas in tuxedos, mods in 3-button jackets and spats. Best man wore a kilt with military jacket, frilly shirt and bow-tie, and docs. He looked super as well. BUT everyone made an effort to polish themselves up and it showed. Coming in jeans and a t-shirt and runners is a bit lame. It's possible to be comfortable and still look great. He could go in the rockabilly 50's style with new Converse (preferably leather ones), Chino-style drain pipes, decent shirt and hair nicely slicked back like Eddie Cochrane. That'd be cool AND comfy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I play in a wedding band, so I've been to a fair few at this stage, and ye wanna see what some people wear to weddings.

I've seen people in jeans, t-shirts, tracksuits, baseball caps, you name it...

Moral of the story. They stick out like hobos.

Cheap comfie shoes in barrats for €30. trousers and shirt in Dunnes about the same.

Little effort goes a long way imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Converse look brilliant with a suit.....for a session maybe or afters of a wedding....but not the full wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

One is a total piss-up in some ****e back arse GAA club and the other is supposed to be the biggest night of your so called friends life.

I dont buy into all that romantisized bull crap. Its a day out to get a stupid piece of paper, that is likely to cost you more to get out of than to get into it. Meh tbh.

Me personally, I'd be well pissed if my mate showed up wearing runners. Wouldn't tell him to leave or anything but I'd certainly let him know I thought he was a lazy c*nt

I on the other hand would see the guy as having a sense of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It's only disrespectful at a wedding if the bride and groom care. Why dress up if they don't care? To please other people?

At a funeral it depends on the deceased. If they were the kind of person that didn't judge you on your appearance when they were alive why dress up for their funeral? I honestly couldn't care less what anyone wears to my funeral. Dressing up at a funeral is more to put on a show than respecting the deceased as far as I'm concerned.

Another thing is if a loved one dies it's hard enough just to get through the day. I'd find it impossible to go into a clothes shop to try on a suit without breaking down.

I think it's sad that people worry about trivial things like shoes when someone dies.

Advertisement