Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I bake my christmas ham??

Options
  • 20-12-2010 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a 2 kg unsmoked ham fillet for christmas. I don't really have a pot big enough to boil it in, but if I have to cook it that way I'm sure I can borrow one. Can I bake it or will it be too salty? Do I have to soak it in water first? I also have a slow cooker is that an option? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If baking a ham, I would soak it overnight as a baked ham is saltier than a boiled one.
    Look up cooking times (I'd guess at about 20- 25 min per lb at 180C) and probably best to cover with foil for most of the cooking time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

My ham work starts on Dec 23

Dec 23

i steep it in water to draw out some salt.

Dec 24

I boil it in half water half orange juice for about 4 hrs ( changing the water once to rid it of salt )

Then i let it cool a bit and peel back the main layer of fat with a sharp knife. I then score the top of the ham with a the knife in a cris cross fashion. I then cover the top of it in a good quality orange maramlade and put cloves in the slites done in the top of the ham.

I then cover the top with honey and pop in the oven for about 2 hrs at 180c. I top up the level of honey on top.

I let ity cool and have a sneaky sambo on batch bread later that evening !

There is a pic of last years finished ham attached !

Dec 25

Enjoy !
    Attached Images[IMG]https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/197181/139510.JPG"]ham.JPG[/URL] (1.98 MB, 59 views)[/img]

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

That looks delicious! Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 songbirds

Hi there,
    Your ham looks delicious. I always bake my ham in oven from scratch. I recently saw an article somewhere about cooking the ham in one of those "turkey cooking bags". I thought I might try it this year, at least you can see the progress of the ham cooking. I always cover mine tightly with foil but never know if the liquid is cooking off or not. Has anyone tried baking the ham this way. I was thinking of adding a tin of cider to the bag for flavour.

Advertisement