Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hooking up a netgear router to a zxyel?

• 20-12-2010 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Unfortunately I have a zxyel router from eircom. My brother gave me his old netgear Wgr614 v6 router. I know I can't hook this up directly to the phone line, but could I connect it to the zxyel in order to stop the known wireless dropping issue?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You should be able to connect a cable from your modem to the wan port of the netgear. You can give your netgear a static or dynamic address on the wan port, and then sort out your wireless as you'd normally expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭cork_south

MarkR wrote: »
    You should be able to connect a cable from your modem to the wan port of the netgear. You can give your netgear a static or dynamic address on the wan port, and then sort out your wireless as you'd normally expect.

Great, thanks! I'll check it out when I get home. Once I get it working, I can just disable the wireless on the zxyel.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You will need to turn of the wireless in the zyxel and turn off dhcp on the zyxel. That way the zyxel acts as a modem and the netgear will do your routing and wireless network.

Advertisement