Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female dog "dry humping"

• 20-12-2010 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Maybe I'm just very naive, but I thought it was only male dogs who generally "dry hump"? Our cavachon is just over 11 months old, and has just come out of heat in the last couple of weeks. She has always been extremely well behaved in every way, but just in the last few days, when she is snuggling up to me (she sits on my lap on the couch for a while in the evenings) she has started to try to "dry hump" my arm! I have reprimanded her and put her down when she has done it, and she forgets after a little while and just hops up on my lap and cuddles in as normal. She hasn't done it to my hubby, just me. Am I doing the right thing by reprimanding her and putting her on the floor til she stops? I'm just a little anxious about it considering Christmas is just around the corner...I don't want any dry humping issues while my parents or parents in law are around. I really hope she doesn't take a shine to my mother in laws leg! Any advice appreciated...thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

I know that even with spayed bitches, they can dry hump other dogs as a sign of dominance... I don't know if that's what's going on with your dog or if it's related to her being in heat recently tbh! If it's due to her having been in heat, it should go away soon, but either way it might be no harm working on her general obedience training yourself for the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

My spayed 13 (!!!!) year old used to do it to cushions and teddies :eek: I never really reprimanded her tbh as it didnt really bother me. Others found it hilarious though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

My spayed female too. And worse... it wasn't dry:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

planetX wrote: »
    Oh jesus ahahahhaha....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭midgej

dvet wrote: »
    I know that even with spayed bitches, they can dry hump other dogs as a sign of dominance... I don't know if that's what's going on with your dog or if it's related to her being in heat recently tbh! If it's due to her having been in heat, it should go away soon, but either way it might be no harm working on her general obedience training yourself for the next few days.

I don't think it's a dominance thing, I get the feeling it's more a hormone thing ;)
    anniehoo wrote: »
    My spayed 13 (!!!!) year old used to do it to cushions and teddies :eek: I never really reprimanded her tbh as it didnt really bother me. Others found it hilarious though :p

I think I'd find it hilarious too if it was someone else's dog...it just seems weird for our "innocent" little dog to be doing it!
    planetX wrote: »

Ewwwwww! :D:D:D

• Advertisement

midgej wrote: »
    I don't think it's a dominance thing, I get the feeling it's more a hormone thing ;)

It can be both. That's part of the reason why it can happen in spayed and neutered dogs as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

This thread isn't nearly as erotic as I'd hoped :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

2 of my bitches do it occasionally, to be honest it is hilarious watching my 6kg jack straddle my 24kg springer and he just lies there and looks at me to rescue him :D

But it is something she gets given out to for doing. With her I am convinced it is a dominance issue as she is very much the boss in their relationship and she likes to remind him of that. It has really lessened recently so fingers crossed we are past this stage.

The other one who does it is my Dads bitch and she used to be top dog till my little one arrived, every now and then she will try to hump my girl as though to try and dominate her, my girl just ignores her though, again it is behaviour my dads dog is given out to for.

It just takes a "leave it" now for them to stop :D

The first time I'd seen it happen was when I was in my neighbour's house as a kid. There was a sudden lull in the conversation when I noticed my neighbour (an adult) looking out the window with her mouth open... my (female, spayed) dog was out there humping their dog! I had some trouble convincing her that our dog was DEFINITELY a girl :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭midgej

Ficheall wrote: »
    This thread isn't nearly as erotic as I'd hoped :(

If you're looking for eroticism you're definitely in the wrong thread :D
    2 of my bitches do it occasionally, to be honest it is hilarious watching my 6kg jack straddle my 24kg springer and he just lies there and looks at me to rescue him :D

But it is something she gets given out to for doing. With her I am convinced it is a dominance issue as she is very much the boss in their relationship and she likes to remind him of that. It has really lessened recently so fingers crossed we are past this stage.

The other one who does it is my Dads bitch and she used to be top dog till my little one arrived, every now and then she will try to hump my girl as though to try and dominate her, my girl just ignores her though, again it is behaviour my dads dog is given out to for.

It just takes a "leave it" now for them to stop :D
    dvet wrote: »
    The first time I'd seen it happen was when I was in my neighbour's house as a kid. There was a sudden lull in the conversation when I noticed my neighbour (an adult) looking out the window with her mouth open... my (female, spayed) dog was out there humping their dog! I had some trouble convincing her that our dog was DEFINITELY a girl :D

Thank god it happens others too, that it's not just my little girl that has gender issues :D
    If it was another dog she was trying to hump I'd say it's definitely a dominance thing, but she's generally very obedient for me....unless she just sees my arm as a separate entity to me :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Our Jack Russell (spayed after 1 litter) is a devil for it. Pure sex pest. My legs - either one will do - until she is promptly thrown off. The wooden support shelf on our coffee table. She has gnawed ridges into which is extremely worrying!! She also makes noises. We give out to her a bit but usually just push her off. Our other JRT who is also female shows no interest in humping of any type at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Try a 6" Chihuahua humping a Rottie:rolleyes::D

My Chi will hump both my intact bitch and neutered dog and she has done this before and after being spayed. Strangely she only really does it after meals, she isn't a dominant dog by nature I just think she enjoys it really:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

My 12 year old will also do it, and she is also spayed. I find she tends to do it early in the morning, when she has most energy, and she only ever does it to her 6 year old son. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

My 8 year old bitch loves to go into the bedroom, jumps onto the bed, makes the duvet into a nice 'hill' shape and goes at it till I come in and tell her to get down !! You know she's really enjoyed her dinner when you find her missing from your side, is no where to be seen because she has run up the stairs into the bedroom :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

My aunt's spayed JRT does this too :P. She's about 6-7 I think, and gathers up the blanket she sleeps on to hump away at :pac:

Hmmm, between this and the 'Licking" thread, my email inbox is starting to look reeeally suspect! :pac:

Advertisement