Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Xmas Sale 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Nollog

Got me some half-life 2 episodes for 2.08.
    Not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Trying to buy Mafia 2 with a 3v card but it keeps being declined even though I have the money. I've checked the details and they are all right, ideas anyone?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Trying to buy Mafia 2 with a 3v card but it keeps being declined even though I have the money. I've checked the details and they are all right, ideas anyone?:confused:

I had that before, try using it via PayPal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Nice, was waiting for a mafia 2 discount.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga,Has anyone played this?looks very interesting?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Mafia II looks and plays great on the PC. Recommend it highly

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

Company of heroes: gold is a bargain at 3.74, well worth picking up. But i'm gonna skip 'Tales of Valour' as it got a bad review in pcformat all those years ago when it came out.

I am gonna take a punt on Mafia II on Cherry Ghost's suggestion.

My only problem now is that with my digiweb connection I'm limited to 40Gb a month bandwidth, and i still have 50Gb of downloads to do. this is going to take a while...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga,Has anyone played this?looks very interesting?

I've played the original form of it. It's a fun enough action RPG. Was well received generally. The DKS form has improved balance and graphics, particularly in the dragon flying sections. Annoyingly the add-on Flames of Vengence, that adds all this to the original Divinity 2, isn't on Steam, but the combined DKS edition is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Spear wrote: »
    I've played the original form of it. It's a fun enough action RPG. Was well received generally. The DKS form has improved balance and graphics, particularly in the dragon flying sections. Annoyingly the add-on Flames of Vengence, that adds all this to the original Divinity 2, isn't on Steam, but the combined DKS edition is.

Worth buying then?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Worth buying then?

Hard to answer that one. You won't be missing anything by not buying it at least. The storys lightweight and minimal, it's not an epic in the style of Dragon Age or the like.

I'm stuck at a nasty battle near the end myself, but Steam stats report that it took me 50 hours to get there.

Edit: should have added that there's a demo about.

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/16117/Divinity+2+-+Ego+Draconis+Demo

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    Hard to answer that one. You won't be missing anything by not buying it at least. The storys lightweight and minimal, it's not an epic in the style of Dragon Age or the like.

I'm stuck at a nasty battle near the end myself, but Steam stats report that it took me 50 hours to get there.

Edit: should have added that there's a demo about.

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/16117/Divinity+2+-+Ego+Draconis+Demo

thanks I 'll try the demo,think i'll give it a miss though,i have 30 left so......9.99 on mafia maybe ...and that leaves 20 for tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Picked up Company of Heroes Gold, even though I have the original game on disc, it was a bargain so I'll just give the hard copy to someone. Got the two episodes for Half-Life 2 as I have the original game but neither of those. Also picked up Zeno Clash as it got a good review on IGN.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Mafia II looks and plays great on the PC. Recommend it highly
    Only problem I found with Mafia II and it's of no fault of steam, is that once you clear it you can not free roam in it. Probably has changed in a DLC pack but still poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Mafia II is only £5 on UK steam, try to get someone to gift it to you if you want the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Zeno Clash is great lads get it, especially for only €3. Really beautiful looking game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Picked up Mafia 2, first one was brilliant and this one is too from what I've heard.

Is the sale ending today?or will there be more offers at 6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Is the sale ending today?or will there be more offers at 6?

There will be more deals at 6 but I'd say they'll be 'recap' second chance deals. So there will be more offers but they'll have all ready been on before.

There will be more deals at 6 but I'd say they'll be 'recap' second chance deals. So there will be more offers but they'll have all ready been on before.

ah good stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The last day of the sale. Nothing of interest for me today.
    Because I already I got them when they were of interest.redface.gif

Well here's what I acquired over the course of the sale.

AAAAAAAAAAA - A reckless Disregard for gravity
    Altitude
    Archon : Classic
    Burnout Paradise : The Ultimate Box
    Chessmaster
    Company of Heroes
    Company of Heroes : Opposing Fronts
    Counter Strike : Source
    Flight Control HD
    GTA : San Andreas
    GTA IV
    GTA IV Ballad of Gay Tony
    GTA IV Lost and the Damned
    Half Life
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Men of War
    Men of War : Red Tide.
    Plant Vs Zombies GOTY Edition.
    Shatter
    Simcity 4 Deluxe
    Super Meat Boy
    Swords and Soldiers HD
    Tom Clany's Ghost Recon
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Desert Siege
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Island Thunder
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell : Chaos Theory
    Trials 2 : Second Edition
    World in Conflict
    World in Conflict : Soviet Assault

Total Cost : €112.61!

The most bizarre thing here is that normally at this time of year I spend about €50 euro more on games and I end up with only 4 to 5 extra more games and have them finished by this week or the next. This time around I haven't bothered even counting the total number I acquired, came in well under budget and have enough games to last me the entire year. In short, I'm thrilled I finally joined steam. But, seriously, I've never bought anything that wasn't on offer and I assume the vast majority of other gamers do the same, how do the devs actually make money??:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Over the course of the sale I bought:

• Battlefield 2
    • Borderlands
    • Dead Space
    • Oblivion: Deluxe edition
    • Grand theft auto 4 plus episodes
    • Orange Box
    • Hitman Collection
    • Mass Effect
    • Red Faction Collection
    • Saints Row 2
    • Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter pack

Total: c. €75

A seperate thread for 'steam sale purchases' would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well no retail stores taking their cut (usually around 40% of what you pay for a game), no manufacturing discs and shipping them, probably a small percentage to Valve for hosting so they can pay for servers and such.

Plus the fact sales have risen close to 3000% for some games on sale on Steam in the past, selling 10 copies on sale for €5 is better than 1 copy full retail at €30-40.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Didnt buy too much this time round.

Picked up

Amnesia just before the sale started
    Tomb Raider and the Guardian of light,
    Supermeatboy
    Oblivion
    Crysis Complete (already own the two of them on disc)
    F.E.A.R. 1 Ultimate Package (already have em on disc too)
    Sniper Elite
    The Witcher
    P.B.Winterbottom
    Most of the stuff that I would have bought on Steam, I already own. Up to 99 games now on Steam
    That's it.
    A grand total of €37.50.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I didn't go as mad as last year as I was in Germany for Xmas and all the good stuff was banned but:

Mafia II - £4.99
    Hitman Collection - £4.49
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP + SoC £3 (Already had SoC retail but CoP for £3!)
    Amnesa: The Dark Descent - £3.12
    Plants vs. Zombies - £2.80
    Doom Pack - £4.99 (For nostalgia mostly)
    Just Cause 2 - £4.99

Not bad for £28. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Nollog

Sniper Elite
    Mass Effect
    Mass Effect 2 - Digital Deluxe
    Super Meat Boy
    FEAR Complete Pack (EU)
    Bioshock (EU)
    Mirror's Edge
    Crysis Complete (ROW)
    GTA IV Complete Bundle
    Half-Life 2: Episode One
    Half-Life 2: Episode Two
    Team Fortress 2

My Total: 59.61

Steam sales also encouraged about 30 euro on games I found cheaper elsewhere.
    Trying to buy VVVV for 2.50 now too, but my card is refusing it. It just cant take the pressure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Think I've done alright;
    • Half Life 1 Anthology - €2.24
    • Dead Space €5.10
    • Crysis Complete €4.99
    • Mirror's Edge €2.49
    • Amnesa: The Dark Descent €5.10
    • Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition €19.99
    • Batman: Arkham Asylum GotY €7.50
    • Darksiders €6.10
    • the Witcher Enhanced Edition €4
    So under €60 for the lot. Still debating a few final purchases as I've got €15 left in my PayPal account. No point leaving it there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Alpha Protocol
    ARMA 2 : Operation arrowhead
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Grand theft auto IV Episodes for liberty city
    Just cause 2
    Mafia 2
    Metro 2033
    Railwords 2
    Serious Sam Classic : The first encounter
    Serious Sam Classic : The second encounter
    Serious Sam HD : The first encounter
    Serious Sam HD : The second encounter
    SimCity 4 Deluxe
    Supreme commander 2
    The witcher Enhanced edition

I haven't looked up how much it cost. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition
    13,59 EUR
    Alpha Protocol
    7,50 EUR
    King Arthur Pack
    4,94 EUR
    Ghost Recon Pack
    8,74 EUR
    SplinterCell: Double Agent
    4,99 EUR
    X3: Reunion
    3,40 EUR
    Amnesa: The Dark Descent
    5,10 EUR
    The Ball
    4,49 EUR
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP + SoC
    4,99 EUR
    Supreme Commander 2
    4,99 EUR
    Company of Heroes Gold
    3,74 EUR
    Mafia II
    9,99 EUR

total

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Think I've done alright;
    • Half Life 1 Anthology - €2.24
    • Dead Space €5.10
    • Crysis Complete €4.99
    • Mirror's Edge €2.49
    • Amnesa: The Dark Descent €5.10
    • Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition €19.99
    • Batman: Arkham Asylum GotY €7.50
    • Darksiders €6.10
    • the Witcher Enhanced Edition €4
    So under €60 for the lot. Still debating a few final purchases as I've got €15 left in my PayPal account. No point leaving it there :D
    That looks like the best €60 you'll ever spend. Some of the best games of the last couple of years in there. I wouldn't mind experiencing them for the first time....again. Shame!:(
    Brillaint choices there. You played any of them before?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

That looks like the best €60 you'll ever spend. Some of the best games of the last couple of years in there. I wouldn't mind experiencing them for the first time....again. Shame!:(
    Brillaint choices there. You played any of them before?
    Thanks! Played Half Life on my friend's pc back in the day, and then HL Source (came with the Orange Box I think??) on my own. Also tried a few demos for one or two of the other ones. But otherwise, no. Although have already completed Batman, and half way through Mirror's Edge :D

It's weird. I didn't deliberately mean to miss out on so many games over the past few years... But other things were going on, and I only seemed to be playing L4D, and intermittently at that.

I also have a few mods for other games to get through as well. Going to be a busy year!

Advertisement