Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Xmas Sale 2010

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

What a disapointing final day sale :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Disappointing Steam Sale in total for me.Might be that I've got bored of these sales, or just cos I never played any I got in the last sale yet, but only got a few new stuff in it

Dead Space
    Killing Floor
    Stalker Bundle
    Indie Heavy Hitters

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

Need for speed: Hot pursuit got a great review in pcformat and can be bought from amazon for the low low price of £14.74 (roughly 17.50)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Need-Speed-Hot-Pursuit-DVD/dp/B003S3R5LI/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1294005638&sr=1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Need for speed: Hot pursuit got a great review in pcformat and can be bought from amazon for the low low price of £14.74 (roughly 17.50)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Need-Speed-Hot-Pursuit-DVD/dp/B003S3R5LI/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1294005638&sr=1-1

Add in another €5 for shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

This year's sale, all I bought for myself was Bad Company 2, and the Half-Life collection to fill out the bits I was missing. Only €19.13 spent.

Probably because I already loaded up during the Treasure Hunt sales and picked up Bob Came in Pieces, Zombie Driver, Droplitz, AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!, Poker Night, Chime and the Indie Story Pack for €16.38.

Also received Sid Meier's Railroads and C&C4 as gifts.

Now gifts bought by me on the other hand totalled €54.03 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Polar101

AI War: Fleet Command 2,10 EUR
    Paradox Complete Pack 54,99 EUR (normal price 500,08 EUR)
    Plants vs. Zombies 6,99 EUR
    Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale 5,10 EUR

I reckon I'm going to buy a bigger hard drive too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Just the three for myself:
    Metro 2033 to make me excited with my new gfx card.
    Mafia 2 as I loved the first one and it looked decent.
    NBA2k11 not a sale item but only 20euro and seemed interesting!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I bought...

The Witcher
    Winge of Prey
    Torchlight
    Titans Quest
    The Polynomial
    Overlord pack
    Mafia 2
    King Arthur
    Oblivion
    Dragon Age: Awakening
    Dead Space
    Batman AA
    Amnesia
    Alpha Protocol
    Mass Effect 2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

To those people who bought 30+ games laughing at having spent ~€100 or whatever - how many of the games will you actually play?

The Steam sales seem to extract the same amount of money from people as a few premium titles, the difference being you'll actually PLAY (and possibly complete) the big releases!

Buying a ton of games doesn't seem like much of a saving to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

quarryman wrote: »
    To those people who bought 30+ games laughing at having spent ~€100 or whatever - how many of the games will you actually play?

The Steam sales seem to extract the same amount of money from people as a few premium titles, the difference being you'll actually PLAY (and possibly complete) the big releases!

I only buy games I intend to play, I see no point in buying them otherwise. There may only be one or two titles during the year that I would buy at full price the rest of them I buy on sale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Didn't buy anywhere near 30 games, but I'll play all of them.
    A lot of the games people are buying ARE big releases. Just because they're available at bargainous prices doesn't suddenly make them any less of a triple A title.
    If they're left unplayed, you're correct. But don't assume everyone has this problem ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

All i got was assasins creed 2
    and Amnesia
    anymore and i wouldnt get the time to play them with dead space 2 on the way soon

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Got

Amnesia
    The Ball
    Assassins Creed 2
    Machinarium
    Greed Corp
    Mafia II
    Crysis
    Crysis Warhead
    The Polynomial
    Dead Space
    Shatter
    Kane & Lynch 2
    Arma II
    Arma II: OA
    Rush
    Serious Sam HD 1
    Serious Sam HD 2
    Flatout
    Flatout 2
    Flatout: Ultimate Carnage
    Cities XL
    Crayon Physics Deluxe
    Max and the Magic Marker
    Toki Tori
    Delve Deeper
    Secret of Magic Crystals.

Been playing The Ball. Great game so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Didn't buy anything throughout the whole sale :/
    Had most of what was on offer, that or I just didn't want what was for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Nollog

Anyone willing to gift me http://store.steampowered.com/app/70300 ?
    Credit card keeps being declined.
    I can send the 2.50 by bank transfer.
    I think my bank thinks someone stole my card with all the steam purchases lol, so I probably can't paypal it to you until I call them.

Amnesia

Enjoy that. Terrifying survival horror game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Winterbottom 0.39
    Super Meat boy 3.50
    The Witcher 4.00
    Puzzle Quest 1.50
    Lara Croft 5.10
    Tropico 3 7.50
    VVVVVV 2.49
    Team Fortress 2 5.00
    Mafia 2 9.99

All those for 39.47

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I haven't played much of the few games I bought (bar Amnesia, I really wanted to play that and I'm glad I played through until the end), S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat has taken up most of my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Every single one of them. Apart from the majority of indy titles which merely incorporated on the spot research to see how well they were received, every game I bought was either a game I had eyes on in the past and badly wanted or one I had previously owned and loved but no longer had the original CD. For example, Left 4 Dead was a game I always wanted to own, but had to settle for just minor skirmishes at a friend's house because there were other games that caught my fancy first. Same too for burnout paradise and world in conflict. Games such as Half Life I, Ghost Recon, GTA :SA, were games I owned in the past but no longer had the original cds.In the case of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory I simply bought it so that starforce protection would no longer be a pain in the arse on vista. (It really is quite pathetic when your DRM fails to initialise at start up meaning you cannot run the game without actually getting a no cd crack for a game you legitimately own! Oh Ubi). Others were games I never heard of but got pretty darn good reviews and were on a genre I preferred e.g Men of War 9/10 Eurogamer, strategy, tactics, must at least try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Ahhh but its a bargain, and it was xmas, and I deserved it :)

I spent over 250 in the STEAM sale, I've not played ANY of the games yet though. But I will eventually :) ...at least they are there forever :D
    If you look at it as an investment, and in the long run, I saved over 600 euro, and means im sorted for games for the next while. Chances are they won't drop for the next while or till next xmas, and anyways, I haven't played em all as its only been 2 weeks really.
    I was probably just angry I didn't win the 100 games after getting all the required Achievements :(

Amnesia Dark Descent
    Sniper Ghost Warrior
    Dead Space
    THQ Complete Pack
    Operation Flashpoint : Dragon Rising
    The Witcher : Enhanced Edition
    Portal
    Square Holiday Pack
    The Rockstar Collection
    Beat Hazard
    Battlefied BC2 Vietnam

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Final tally, as you can see I have gone some way towards righting my criminal neglect of RPGs over the past few years.

Dirt 2.
    Crysis + Warhead (Donated old disk version to poor student brother).
    Doom Complete Pack.
    FEAR Bundle.
    Mass Effect
    Mass Effect 2
    Dragons Age Ultimate Edition.
    Oblivion.
    The Witcher.

Roughly around the 85 mark I think not bad for around a gazillion hours worth of future gaming.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I got

Fear 2
    dragon age pack
    recettear (sp?)
    patrician 4
    tropico pack
    brothers in arms pack
    greed corp
    mount and blade
    left for dead 2

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I bought a good few games in the sale.

Left4dead 2.
    Amnesia.
    Some other penumbra games (never heard of them but the reviews looked good and they were cheap).
    Stalker pack.
    Crysis pack.
    The ball (and some other smaller games like that).
    Bad company 2 + vietnam.

The only one I've played is bad company 2. Can see that stopping me from playing all the other games as well. :D

I bought a good few games in the sale.

Left4dead 2.
    Amnesia.
    Some other penumbra games (never heard of them but the reviews looked good and they were cheap).
    Stalker pack.
    Crysis pack.
    The ball (and some other smaller games like that).
    Bad company 2 + vietnam.

The only one I've played is bad company 2. Can see that stopping me from playing all the other games as well. :D

Was thinking of buying vietnam,any good?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I only played two games of it. I didn't like the map (same map in both games) and I was getting my ass handed to me on a plate (to the point of sever frustration) so I didn't particularly enjoy it. Saying that two games where I was playing awfully isn't really giving it much of a chance. One of my friends loves it though, more than BC2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

It's better than BC2 yeah.
    Playing it on Hardcore, absolute quality. Have it for PC and 360, brilliant on both !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

What's with the hardcore setting on servers?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

What's with the hardcore setting on servers?

It turns on friendly fire, disables the minimap etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

5uspect wrote: »
    It turns on friendly fire

Friendly fire should always be on...in all games.

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote: »
    It's better than BC2 yeah.
    Playing it on Hardcore, absolute quality. Have it for PC and 360, brilliant on both !

Might get it so :-)

Advertisement