Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimmer Switch Fuse Blown/buzzing

Options
  • 20-12-2010 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

so one of the lights shorted and blew the fuse in the fuse box. I replaced that fuse, but the lights didn't come back on.

A quick google indicates, I probably blew the fuse in the dimmer switch on the light. But when I turn the dimmer on, it still "buzzes" like it did when it worked.

the light isn't that important so I can do without it. So I suppose what I'm asking is 2 fold:

1) Have I diagnosed it properly? (if so why does the dimmer still buzz if the fuse is gone?)
    2) Is the light safe now?

Thanks.

Crisco10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gazelec

Hi Crisco

There is no fuse in the dimmer switch, dimmer switches are all electronic and sensitive to short circuits etc, you blew the switch so you will need a replacement, make sure you find the cause before you install the new switch or else you will blow that one too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

gazelec wrote: »
    Hi Crisco

There is no fuse in the dimmer switch, dimmer switches are all electronic and sensitive to short circuits etc, you blew the switch so you will need a replacement, make sure you find the cause before you install the new switch or else you will blow that one too ;)

Thanks gazelec

So the dimmer still buzzes even though its blown???

As I said before, don't care about lack of light, just want to be sure the broken switch sitting in the wall isn't a hazard of any sort....

Advertisement