Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours dog left out all night?

• 20-12-2010 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

Not to sure what to do about this.The neighbours have a lovely Collie,probably around three years old.They tend to leave the dog in the back garden all the time.
    I'm not sure if he even has a kennel to go into as i hear him barking all the time.His owners are elderly and don't seem to have any time for him.
    Should i attempt to rescue him?Would i get done for stealing him?
    Will he survive if the weather gets much colder?
    Any advice appreciated?

Comments

Call your local SPCA. It's cruel in this weather to leave a pet out all night and owners have been told in the media to bring them in. The SPCA will warn the owners or take the dog away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

There was a similar thread about this recently

Best thing I can recommend is, if you think the dog is truely being mistreated, then report it to the local authorities and they will decide weather the conditions are good enough for the owners to keep the dog.

You can report it anonymously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You need to be sure that the dog hasn't got a kennel with blankets etc. first. The dog is no doubt bored if he has no interaction every day but there's nothing the authorities can do if the dog has food, water and access to shelter.

You need to be sure that the dog hasn't got a kennel with blankets etc. first. The dog is no doubt bored if he has no interaction every day but there's nothing the authorities can do if the dog has food, water and access to shelter.

Yes there is, A dog needs interaction. If the dog is being neglected in anyway, the authorities can interviene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Tallon wrote: »
    Yes there is, A dog needs interaction. If the dog is being neglected in anyway, the authorities can interviene

That statement makes no sense.

If the dog is being fed and given water everyday then there's no point in calling the SPCA just because the dog isn't being walked. If that was the case then a huge chunk of dog owners would be in trouble.

Definitely check that the dog has a little hut or something to get in under though. Being outside, even in this cold is fine so long as they have a shed/box or something similar.

"Rescuing" him would be stealing him, if you think he's being mistreated then call someone who can get the authority to remove him legitimately.

• Advertisement

Oh_Noes wrote: »

If the dog is being fed and given water everyday then there's no point in calling the SPCA just because the dog isn't being walked. If that was the case then a huge chunk of dog owners would be in trouble.

Definitely check that the dog has a little hut or something to get in under though. Being outside, even in this cold is fine so long as they have a shed/box or something similar.

"Rescuing" him would be stealing him, if you think he's being mistreated then call someone who can get the authority to remove him legitimately.

How does it not make sense? Can you tell me why it doesn't make sense?

Life is not just eating and drinking.

If the dog is constantly confined to the back garden (Not saying this is the case) or is being left out in bitter weather like this or is not having regular intereaction with people or other dogs, then it is neglect.

The authorities will decide what action is neccesary as I have al ready said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

How does it not make sense? Can you tell me why it doesn't make sense?

Life is not just eating and drinking.

If the dog is constantly confined to the back garden (Not saying this is the case) or is being left out in bitter weather like this or is not having regular intereaction with people or other dogs, then it is neglect.

The authorities will decide what action is neccesary as I have al ready said

It doesn't make sense because you suggested that lack of interaction and neglect are the same thing. If the dog is being fed and getting water everyday then it's getting the same level of interaction as every dog owned by someone with a full time job. I'm not saying that that's OK by any means, but animals don't get confiscated for lack of walking/interaction. Personally I don't think people who don't walk their dogs should be allowed to have them in the first place, but that's not how it happens in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

big difference between what's morally wrong and what's legally wrong. As far as I know the legal situation is that you have to provide food, water and some form of shelter.

It doesn't make sense because you suggested that lack of interaction and neglect are the same thing..

No I didn't.

I was responding to the post before mine, the one I quoted, where Sigma Force refered to interaction....

The neglect I mentioned was clearly a different sentance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

What sigma force said is true though, as far as I know the SPCA's/local authorities can't legally do anything if the owners have provided it with water, food and shelter. But if OP is right that the dog hasn't got a kennel, they might have some case.

I feel sorry for anything outside in this weather... I can hardly sleep inside my own house, it's getting so cold these nights!

• Advertisement

Thats the point though, they can.

If the authorities decide that the animal is not being treated fairly they can act.

Sheltering, feeding and watering an animal doesn't instantly mean your exempt from the proper authorities taking action against you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Are the elderly owners ablel to get out and about in this weather? They could be housebound.

Thats the point though, they can.

If the authorities decide that the animal is not being treated fairly they can act.

Sheltering, feeding and watering an animal doesn't instantly mean your exempt from the proper authorities taking action against you.

I was looking into this just now as I know I've heard it said many times that the SPCA's claim they can't do anything if the animal has food, water & shelter. But as I've never dealt with them directly, I didn't know for sure. Anyway this is what I found:

On the legal side of things, the Protection of Animals Acts 1911 & 1965 are the ones which set the law in this area, and they are extremely vague on this topic. So, you are probably right that the authorities legally can act.

However... it seems, from what I'm reading here that they refuse to act under these circumstances, or claim that they can't. I did a quick boards search for 'food water shelter' and the first couple of posts it showed up were:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67510718&postcount=2

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67426737&postcount=16

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69276185&postcount=31

Looks like we really need better enforcement of welfare laws in this country :(

dvet wrote: »

Looks like we really need better enforcement of welfare laws in this country :(

I deffo agree with this.

We should model ourselves on the Aussies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I seriously disagree with you there. A simple shed or box is not sufficent to keep a dog warm these nights. In most places it's dropping below -10 and in some places even lower than that. The only way I would agree with a dog being outside at night in these temps is if they have a heated kennel that can keep the temperature >10 degrees.

Also consider that even during the day it rarely goes above freezing so any water left out for him will be frozen solid. My dog's water bowl outside was frozen right through today, the piece of inch thick ice I removed from the bowl the day before yesterday is still frozen solid to the concrete after in the same shape as I tipped it out! The water I left out for the birds today was frozen within an hour! :eek:

Op have you talked to these neighbours? Considering they are elderly they may greatly appreciate some help with the dog. Perhaps you could convince them to allow the dog into the house even just confined to a bathroom or utility room for the nights, and bring him for a short walk during the day. Maybe they don't actually want the dog anymore, he could be too much work for them but they may be too proud to actually admit it? You could suggest that you were looking for a dog and take the dog yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Zapperzy wrote: »
    The water I left out for the birds today was frozen within an hour! :eek:

The water I put on my windscreen this morning had frozen by the time I went back inside to put the kettle back, I really can't imagine how anyone can think that it's ok to leave a dog out in that :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Any chance you could have a word with the neighbours and tell them you heard on the news they were saying for people to be very careful with dogs and cats in this weather as a lot of them were dying in the cold. Ask them are they ok with their dog or do they need help sorting out his shelter.

Just pass it off saying you are letting everyone you know with animals about it. Then you can suss out if they really want the animal or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If the dog is being fed and getting water everyday then it's getting the same level of interaction as every dog owned by someone with a full time job.
    Whoa there! Any full time worker I know who has dogs, including myself, spends much more time with their dogs than just how long it takes to feed and water them; when I'm in the house my dogs are too. Please don't lump working dog owners in with neglectful owners.

hey OP, any update on the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Craven99

ppink wrote: »
    Any chance you could have a word with the neighbours and tell them you heard on the news they were saying for people to be very careful with dogs and cats in this weather as a lot of them were dying in the cold. Ask them are they ok with their dog or do they need help sorting out his shelter.

Just pass it off saying you are letting everyone you know with animals about it. Then you can suss out if they really want the animal or not.

Oh thank the lord (of your choice) for some common sense.

Forget about calling in the authorities or stealing the animal as a first option! SHEESH!

First step should be to TALK to the people about the situation. You know what? That just might work. Hey you never know - they are older people so you say - maybe they could do with a helpful neighbourly hand and someone could offer to walk their dog occasionally if they are so concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

Latest update.I spoke to the neighbours when they were out clearing their driveway and the dog was with them.
    I did offer to take the dog for the odd walk with mine if they like,and they agreed.I told them that my dog enjoys sleeping indoors in the cold weather and they said they should do the same with theirs.
    I haven't heard the dog barking for the past couple of nights so i know he is indoors.
    I hope to take him out tomorrow and see how we get on from their.
    He does get on well with my dog which helps.
    Thanks for all the advice,i will keep you updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

thats good news OP well done on helping out there:)

Advertisement