Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match of the decade?

• 20-12-2010 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭

Coming to the end of this decade and having watched the highlights of Barcelona's astounding performance against Madrid the other week(I'm raging I didn't get to see the full match),this got me thinking.
    What is your favourite match of this decade?
    Trying to think about it and I can recall enjoying Man United versus Madrid in the 02/03 season when United beat them 4-3 at home,but still failed to qualify for the next round in the CL.
    What does anyone else think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

From a completely bias point of view, United 4-3 City stands out as the most thrilling match I've seen, closely rivalled by Arsenal 2-4 United. Obviously Im more likely to pick matches involving my own team as a) I watch more of them, and b) I have more of an emotional investment in them, but they were two superb matches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

AC Milan vs Liverpool, 2005 CL final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

CL final 2005. Liverpool dead and buried at half time and crying into our beers. And then 6 minutes of absolute ectasy followed by Jersy Dudek frightening the bejaysus out of Milan:D:D:D. Ho ho ho:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Tottenham hotspur 3 Man City 4 FA cup

Even as a united fan, that was the most thrilling match iv seen this decade. City 3-0 down and down to 10 man at half time.

Incredible comeback, one of Keegan's finest moments as a manager.

• Advertisement

2005 Istanbul :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'm not supposed to post yet,
    but the decade ended last year,
    2000-2009 is 10 years.

It should also be pointed out that it's only the start of this decade. 2000-2009 was ten years.

(Thanks Des :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    It should also be pointed out that it's only the start of this decade. 2000-2009 was ten years.

(Thanks Des :) )

you fell into that trap yourself already :P

best match of the decade so far? impossible to pick anythingn from this year IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Motherwell 6-6 Hibernian. Mental stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

For me anything decided on penalties or in less important competitions like domestic cups couldn't be considered.
    I'd go for Italy v Germany 2006 WC Semi-Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Man Utd 4-3 Man City - Giggs/Owen made me dance around the room.

Liverpool 3-3 AC Milan (3-2 pens) - Hated Liverpool for it, but damn good comeback.

Chelsea 4-4 Liverpool - Champions Leage quarter final, very exciting.

Hiberian 6-6 Motherweall - Only saw the second half, but was a very memorable match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,397 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Istanbul. Not a fan of AC or Liverpool but that game was amazing and I was delighted for all those fans that were there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

If I'm being objective, the best game of the last decade, and probably of all time considering the stage, players and circumstances, was the Liverpool comeback of '05. It was fcuking epic.
    From a Spurs perspective, either 1 of the 3-1 win against Inter, the 6-4 win against Reading (we came from behind 4 times IIRC) or the 9-1 demolishing of Wigan. Also an honorable mention to the 4-4 draw at the Emirates after our appaling start to the season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Sooooo many matches but Istanbul must be top of the pile. What an almighty emotional night. From the deepest depression at Ht to unbridled ecstacy. The 4-4 draw with chelsea in the CL was also a bit of a rollercoaster given the tightness of all the previous occasions, 4-4 was a real shock.
    There has been some super games but for 'Emotional' reasons- Istanbul will probably never be beaten!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Tottenham hotspur 3 Man City 4 FA cup

Even as a united fan, that was the most thrilling match iv seen this decade. City 3-0 down and down to 10 man at half time.

Incredible comeback, one of Keegan's finest moments as a manager.

I would pick this game being a City fan but I reckon I would have picked it aswell if we had lost 4-3.One of the finest comebacks ever that seems to get over looked for some reason...probably cos its Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

THFC wrote: »
    If I'm being objective, the best game of the last decade, and probably of all time considering the stage, players and circumstances, was the Liverpool comeback of '05. It was fcuking epic.
    From a Spurs perspective, either 1 of the 3-1 win against Inter, the 6-4 win against Reading (we came from behind 4 times IIRC) or the 9-1 demolishing of Wigan. Also an honorable mention to the 4-4 draw at the Emirates after our appaling start to the season.

3-4 win against West Ham a couple of seasons back was probably one of the best I'd seen. When we thought we'd sent them down.

Awful music though.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭WhodahWoodah

Istanbul! Watched it in the Quad in Cork with a few hundred other Pool fans and had the greatest match-watching experience of my life! Accompanied by pitchers and pitchers of beers!! Smashed my head off a beam jumping off my stool at the last penalty! Still get all warm and snuggly when I think about it :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Kold wrote: »
    3-4 win against West Ham a couple of seasons back was probably one of the best I'd seen.

That'd be up there definitely, though I was more entertained at Wham's bad luck. Never should've lost that game...:pac:

Liverpool hat, 5-4 vs. Alaves probably. Istanbul was a very poor game tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

One of the best Chelsea games I have ever witnessed in terms of sheer edge of the seat last 30mins or so would have to be without a shadow of a doubt be the:
    CHELSEA 4-4 LIVERPOOL
    Stamford Bridge, 14th April 2009.

I'm sure many a Liverpool fan may well agree with me (despite the result from their point of view), what a game.

Quote from the "Dazzlin Dozen!" dvd:

"With Liverpool's reputation for Champions League comebacks, the Blues were well prepared for a challenge ahead of the second leg encounter at Stamford Bridge.
    Liverpool lived up to their reputation as they netted twice early on in the match to level the aggregate score, only for Drogba, Alex, and Lampard to respond giving Chelsea a seemingly unassiable lead. However, two goals from Liverpool gave the visitors the advantage and produced a remarkable climax to an unforgettable European night as Lampard's 89th minute strike secured him a place in Chelsea folklore, and earned Chelsea a place in the semi-final."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Best match I saw in the flesh: 2006 FAI Cup final, esp. considering the conditions.

Best match I saw on the box: The Pats Bohs semi replay in 2003 (?). It was a brilliantly entertaining game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Milan vs Liverpool 2005 has to be up there.

For me Netherlands vs Czech Rep. Euro 2004 was a classic, up there with the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

As already pointed out, technically speaking we are at the start of the 2010-2019 decade e.g. the 80's didn't start in 1981, they started in 1980.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Liverpool v AC 2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

mayordenis wrote: »
    I'm not supposed to post yet,
    but the decade ended last year,
    2000-2009 is 10 years.

New decades start when the year ends in a 1. 2001-2010 is the decade we're talking about here.

Probably CL 2005, for me, though Lyon - Marseilles last year was crazy.

tolosenc wrote: »
    New decades start when the year ends in a 1. 2001-2010 is the decade we're talking about here.

That's mad logic.

Would you consider something that happened in 1990 to be part of the 80's ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Hqted the result and all that but its kinda hard to look past Istanbul 2005 tbh, considering what was at stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Ya horrible result but the 2005 CL final was the most memorable. 3-0 down at half-time in a CL final says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

tolosenc wrote: »

Probably CL 2005, for me, though Lyon - Marseilles last year was crazy.

Absolute nonsense!

In the decimal system we have 10 numbers 0-9
    decades start on 0
    hence 30 is thirty and not twenty ten... Or whatever

Edit: Istanbul, truly amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

A thread called "Match of the decade" can't even get past an argument about the actual definition of a decade, Bravo.

While it wasn't actually the best exhibition of football i'd say Istanbul '05 was the most exciting match, thats the winner for me anyway, ya couldn't write that ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Completely forgot about Ireland -v- Germany 2002, I'm sure many here lost their voices when Robbie Keane smashed the ball past Olly Kahn into the top corner...! Memories!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

As a neutral, I loved the Arsenal vs Liverpool game from a couple of seasons back - would have prefered Liverpool to lose it, but it was a great game to watch (with a chelsea fan and an arsenal fan)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Chelsea 1 Barcelona 1

That Essien Strike:eek:

Barca couldn't score despite all the possession. But when Iniesta scored that peach!
    I screamed the house down because it looked like it was United-Chelsea final again.

One of my favourite sporting moments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The Barca vrs Madrid 5-0 was the greatest exhibition of football ever seen.

Though I'm not sure if that would entitle it to be match of the decade, where the criteria would probably require 2 evenly matched teams in a tight game.

Barca just dominated with the most amazing display of passing ever witnessed, given the team, the opposition, the manager and the occassion I'd have it up there as my game of the decade :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The £20,000,000 game or so called the 1998 League 1 (now Championship) Sunderland vs Charlton Athletic game

Pretty poor quality video to be fair

3-3 at fulltime, 4-4 after extra time and then 7-6 penalties

Can't ask for more goals then that
    Cracking game, two big clubs with history and so much at stake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

jebidiah wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense!

decades start on 0

i refer to part 3 of moncrieff's show on newstalk today.

http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/moncrieff/listen-back/

this decade does end in 10 days time. check about 11 mins in.

edit: my original choice wasn't THAT great..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

jebidiah wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense!

decades start on 0

Nope, you're wrong. The calender isn't fully decimal.

Think about it like a football match, when the clock says 89.34 you are actually in the 90th minute, it just hasn't finished yet, so when the clock turns 90.00 you're then in the 91st minute.

The thing is unlike hours and minutes, the calender is referred to by the year we are in and not the years that have passed. For example, today's date is the 21st of December in the year 2010. That implies only 2009 years have passed to date. Therefore a decade is only completed when the calender has switched into the year ending with 1.

What it boils down to is if there was a year 0 or not. According the Gregorian calender we use there isn't such a thing, we went straight from 1BC to 1AD.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Always remembered this as the best game I saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Just change the name of the thread from 'Match of the decade?', to 'Match of the last ten years?'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

The £20,000,000 game or so called the 1998 League 1 (now Championship) Sunderland vs Charlton Athletic game

I think everyone can agree 1998 is definitely not in this decade
    For me it had to be the United v Madrid 4-3,pub packed,great atmosphere,after every goal it was like"so how many do we need now"absolute masterclass from ronaldo aswel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

cambo2008 wrote: »
    I think everyone can agree 1998 is definitely not in this decade

i'm not so sure about 1996 though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

i'm not so sure about 1996 though! :D

Stop!!your hurting my brain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Does anyone else actually give a flying fúck the exact start/finish date of a decade?
    Its not like theres an arguement over the date of any given game FFS, can't we just say for arguements sake your favourite game in between the period of Jan 1st 2000 until 31st December 2010 (still a few days to go) and quit hogging the thread with such a silly fackin debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Euro 2008. Czech Republic vs Turkey. Turkey 2 down with 20 mins left and they just went for it. Arda Turan got the comeback rolling, then Nihat capitalised after a Cech howler and Nihat again in the last minute scored an absolute peach to nick it. And it was on a Sunday evening!!

One of many great comebacks by Turkey in that tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's got to be Liverpool v AC Milan and that's coming from a fan of neither of those sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Even as a Sunderland fan I'd have to agree except that it wasn't in this decade. That Micky Gray penalty miss is still heartbreaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

ffs how do you embed a youtube vid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Hate to be a United fan and mention two Liverpool games as my top two, the game in Istanbul was crap, I can see why Liverpool fans would rate it highly though, the two that I think surpassed it are Liverpool v Alaves and Liverpool v Arsenal.

In terms of United matches, United v City that ended up 4-3 is the best Ive seen since 99. Or possibly even the game in 2001 where we came from 3-0 down to Spurs at half time to win 5-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

ffs how do you embed a youtube vid?

Hit the youtube button and it puts an open and close youtube tag into your post, in between the two blocks paste the video code from the youtube video which is just the assortment of numbers and letters after v= in the url, just copy that code, usually stops before an &.

• Advertisement
Advertisement