Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match of the decade?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Back when Sevilla had a good team around 05-07 they had some cracking games with Barca & Madrid. The one that stands out most is the one were Alves scored a fee-kick to win the game 2-1 for Sevilla against Barca.

2 United vs Madrid games. The one were United won 4-3 & Ronaldo scored a hat-trick. Also the game from 2000 were I think it was 4-2 Madrid when Redondo did that amazing bit of skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

As a Spurs fan we've had many, Spurs 4 - Chelsea 4, Arsenal 4 - Spurs 4, Spurs 4 - Villa 4, etc, etc, and I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned before, but this is my most memorable match;

From a neutral POV, the 2005 CL final was an amazing match, absolutely amazing and I have to give an honourable mention to the Utd 4 - City 3 match from last season. Brilliant drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Euro 2008. Czech Republic vs Turkey. Turkey 2 down with 20 mins left and they just went for it. Arda Turan got the comeback rolling, then Nihat capitalised after a Cech howler and Nihat again in the last minute scored an absolute peach to nick it. And it was on a Sunday evening!!

One of many great comebacks by Turkey in that tournament.

I was in a pub in Prague watching that game. The whole place was in depression except for a group of 6 or so Turkish lads across from us.
    Unfortunately for them the TV they were watching was about 3 seconds behind the one we were, so they were getting everything before it actually happened from our reactions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Strange one that probably no one remembers but Villa Liverpool in Coca Cola cup semi final in December 2002, ended 3 3 after delayed start, Villa down 3 1 and though we got to 3 3 we ended up losing on pens. First game I watched with my son ( 5 days old ) so recall being enthralled while all the while having him on my lap. Didn't work though, he's a Man U fan now ( sadly lol )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

"Collymore closing IINNNNN...............LIVERPOOL LEAD IN STOPPAGE TIME!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Newcastle 2 Man United 6, April 2003, probably the greatest performance by a team in the history of the premiership, against a very good newcastle team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Must be a Spurs 4 - 4 Arsenal game to be mentioned.

Alaves 4 - 5 Liverpool
    Liverpool 4 - 4 Arsenal
    Chelsea 4 - 4 Liverpool
    Liverpool 8 - 0 Besiktas (okay I'm overegging now!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

In around 2005 our Astro team got beaten 13-0 by the undefeated leaders in our comp. We played them again the following week and brought in a load of ring-ins and beat them 2-0, with a penalty in the last minutes to seal it off.

Game of the decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

jebidiah wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense!

In the decimal system we have 10 numbers 0-9
    decades start on 0
    hence 30 is thirty and not twenty ten... Or whatever

Edit: Istanbul, truly amazing

There was no year zero!!!

Anyhoo

Istanbul is my answer. As fans of sport we love to see the unexpected happen and that what happened that night was so unforgettable for liverpool you'd be hard pressed to find many who don't have it at the top of their list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hairy Nipples 87

How can that match be considered match of the decade?? How??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

My favorite was the 4-4 draw at the emirites totally biased but I thought that was a cracking game.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hairy Nipples 87

Tottenham 4 Arsenal 5 at White Hart Lane or for anyone that loves a shock or a result, pompey beating utd in the FA cup with muntari penalty, great match even though there wasnt many goals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Italy vs. Germany was my favourite

Most of the other matches mentioned (bar Chelsea 1-1 Barca) were just goal fests with shocking defending but this one was great play by pretty much everyone on the pitch for 118 minutes, a great goal and the utter heartbreak for Germany who had been fantastic hosts. Thought the scenes in this were more emotional than Istanbul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Italy vs. Germany was my favourite

Most of the other matches mentioned (bar Chelsea 1-1 Barca) were just goal fests with shocking defending but this one was great play by pretty much everyone on the pitch for 118 minutes, a great goal and the utter heartbreak for Germany who had been fantastic hosts. Thought the scenes in this were more emotional than Istanbul

and del piero's goal shortly after was one of the best counter attacks in a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Great games are all about context.

Germany v Italy in '06 was epic stuff... 2 huge footballing nations playing for a place in the final. Absolute quality all round.

If you think a 6 all draw in the SPL or an error ridden Premier League/Champions League goal fest come near to this your watching too much Sky Sports News :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izpvd5uqNqU&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

noodler wrote: »
    "Collymore closing IINNNNN...............LIVERPOOL LEAD IN STOPPAGE TIME!"

That was in the 90's (a decade that ended in the last second of 1999 :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

monkey9 wrote: »
    That was in the 90's (a decade that ended in the last second of 1999 :D)

I was wondering why nobody thanked it.....awwwww

noodler wrote: »
    I was wondering why nobody thanked it.....awwwww

Well maybe you're right to include it cos the thread doesn't mention which decade!!

There was no goals in it but it was a very intense & tactically brilliant game.

• Advertisement

From http://blog.sport.co.uk/Football/925/Top_Ten_Manchester_United_v_Arsenal_moments_with_youtube_clips.aspx

Martin Keown ‘consoles’ Van Nistelrooy after penalty miss – September 21, 2003
    “Van Nistelrooy is a cheat and a coward…at Arsenal we hated him and had real reason to do so.”
    The views of captain Patrick Vieira on United’s Dutch goal-hoarder Ruud Van Nistelrooy- it is safe to say that it was this game which set it all off. After officiating a spicy Community Shield encounter between the two, referee Steve Bennett was again the man with the whistle for the Old Trafford tie and ended up dishing out eight yellow cards, two of which went to Arsenal captain Vieira. The Frenchman’s second yellow provided the game’s first flashpoint as the midfielder aimed a kick in the direction of Van Nistelrooy, resulting in referee Bennett giving him his marching orders. A scuffle broke out between both sets of players causing a delay to the game but worse was yet to come.
    In injury time Manchester United were awarded a dubious penalty after Diego Forlan was felled by an innocuous looking challenge from Martin Keown. Van Nistelrooy ended up crashing the penalty against the bar, much to the delight of Arsenal players who gathered around the Dutch striker, shoving him and gloating.
    The aftermath; the FA reprimanded both sides and issued individual charges to Vieira, Keown, Ashley Cole, Lauren, Parlour of Arsenal and United duo Ryan Giggs and Cristiano Ronaldo.

My first time watching Arsenal while living in London, working in a Fulham/QPR bar and even there, the atmosphere in the pub was insane.

Also

Our home draw against Real Madrid in 06. I had an american girlfriend at the time, and she "totally got" 0-0 draws after that match

tdv123 wrote: »

That's your match of the noughties?? :confused:

I thought that was a sh!te final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I can't really see beyond Italy Germany tbh.

International matches always seem so much bigger, especially late on in the World Cup. Plus the football on display was amazing, the teams both went for it in extra time and the winner was scored by Italy from a counter attack where Germany had just hit the woodwork.

In response to the OP, I'd agree that the Barca match surely is the performance of the decade (and perhaps more) but I've never seen as entertaining a match as that semi-final.

As a nod to history, I've heard more than once that this Ajax performance in the 1972 European Cup final against Inter was the best performance ever. The highlights obviously won't do it justice but I never could find the full match anywhere.

monkey9 wrote: »
    That's your match of the noughties?? :confused:

I thought that was a sh!te final.

Sorry for not picking a game were both defences fall apart like everyone else.

My next choice tho would have been Villareal vs Inter.

That was actually the most boring game i've ever sat through.
    An absolute yawn-fest!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Liverpool 4-4 Arsenal

Great game because you just couldn't predict what would happen next.

mossyc123 wrote: »
    That was actually the most boring game i've ever sat through.
    An absolute yawn-fest!!!

Thats because the defences were so bloody good.
    You had Ferrara,Thuram , Montero & Buffon on one side & then Nesta, Maldini ,Costacurta & Gattuso on the other. But it was a great battle of wits & clever thinking.

Roy Keane actually devotes half a page or so to this game in his autobiography about the greatness of it.

Thats because the defences were so bloody good.
    You had Ferrara,Thuram , Montero & Buffon on one side & then Nesta, Maldini ,Costacurta & Gattuso on the other. But it was a great battle of wits & clever thinking.

Roy Keane actually devotes half a page or so to this game in his autobiography about the greatness of it.

Really?!
    Champs League finals = late May = study season = taking time off for a bit of relief from the monotony = not appreciative of 0-0 draws after 120 mins! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

For me, it's got to be Liverpool vs AC Milan in the CL final, but..... it may be 3 days too late but the 3/1/2010 is a day i'll never forget, probably my most memorable moment as a football fan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owpnrxCXZJ4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Don't know how i forgot this one, i don't think it was posted already. One of Roy's better days, 4-1 down on aggregate early in the game, come back to win it 5-4 with one fo the goals of the season. Really good game that was played at an unbelieveable pace.

• Advertisement
Advertisement