Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct debit - can they take money...

Options
  • 20-12-2010 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hello

can companies take money off my account via direct debit in a different term than the one i specified (to be specific, to take them earlier) ??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes (they are not suppose to but that is a whole different type of kettle).

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mstq

Any idea "what" gives them rights to do that? Isn't there sometime of act from eu which would protect my rights as a customer? It's realy ennoying when they do this ;/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

you give them the right when you sign the mandate form i thought.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Mandate usually has start and frequency though no?

I had to do a DD for a savings account but needed to be sure it came out after I was paid to avoid extra charges for not having enough.

If there requesting the cash early they should be told to **** off until the date indicated on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Nermal

mstq wrote: »
    Any idea "what" gives them rights to do that? Isn't there sometime of act from eu which would protect my rights as a customer? It's realy ennoying when they do this ;/

He means that technically they can do it, but legally they should not.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What's the company? Have a DD for VHI, and found that they had 3 or 4 certain dates a month when they'd do the DD. When my payday changed date, I called VHI up, and got them to change the DD date, so that it'd be two days after I got paid, as opposed to a week beforehand.

Most companies are usually fairly reasonable with the DD. Usually explaining to the, that they are causing you financial difficulty, they'll allow the date to be changed, as most of the time, they'll want to keep you as a client.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

###EDIT### Mis Read your post entirely - Ignore

Yeah, should be no problems changing the date, just give them a call. worst case scanerio is that you may have to complete a new DD mandate

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mstq

I did complain on a number of occassions. Nothing helps... they take money as they wish and i cannot really drop from their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Under the terms of the direct debit guarantee, which banks and companies using the direct debit system are supposed to adhere to, they are obliged to give you at least 7 to 14 days notice of taking a direct debit (7 days notice if it was a paperless debit agreement, 14 days if it was a paper mandate). See the rules here.

In some cases, usually where the amount collected is the same every month, such as insurance, the notice is given at the start of the year and the payment dates are set out.

In your particular case, can you clarify if date was one you and the service provider agreed, or did they give a vaguer timeframe (such as the first week of the month)? Also do you mind me asking if the amount is the same each month, or does it vary depending on service usage (like an electricty, phone or gas bill)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is the DD money you owe, or a service they provide? If the latter, change providers, and tell your bank to stop the DD from going through. Your bank must do so if you tell them to do so.

Advertisement