Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs and Steroids??

• 20-12-2010 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, my dog has been prescribed steroids for an ear infection, she has been on them before and had most of not all of the nasty side effects so I am not keen to give them to her again and would prefer to just stick with the anti-biotics also prescribed along with the drops we were given.

My question is - she has also been given a steroid injection today and wonder will it be harmful if I don't follow it up with the tablets (I know that they have to be weaned off the tablets so was wondering if the injection would have the same effect or if it's ok for just a once off??)

I hope this makes sense and hope someone can answer my question.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Give your vet a ring and explain that your dog has reacted badly to steroids in the past, describe the symptoms and ask their opinion.

Depending on what's wrong with your dogs ear she may need to take them to prevent it worsening or the vet might prescribe something else but you need to ask the person who examined her :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

I would definitely talk to your vet before deciding to stop any medication, especially steroids. When he gave the steroid shot today and then prescribed the tablets to you, did you not bring up your concerns then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You have to be careful with steroids, you cant just stop them straight away, they have to be gradually weaned off them. Stopping them suddenly could do more harm than good so please contact your vet before doing anything with the medication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

I would follow the instructions the vet gave me.........

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭irishjay

let us knw how you got on

• Advertisement
Advertisement