Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow lying on trees

Options
  • 20-12-2010 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭

I got Castlewellan Gold planted around the perimeter of my site and I’m concerned because there’s a fair bit of snow lying on them at the moment. Overall, there’s about 7-8 inches of snow lying around the garden. They average about 5.5/ 6.5 feet in height and survived last winter relatively unscathed. The top part of some trees are bending/dropping, so this is my question. Should I remove the snow from the trees or should I just leave it? It reached -17c last night and I’m wondering will the snow offer some protection/insulation against the extreme temperature I mentioned? All advice will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

A covering of snow can be good insulation for plants in bed and borders. But you should defo shake snow off trees and shrubs to prevent branches breaking or stressing

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

redser7 wrote: »
    A covering of snow can be good insulation for plants in bed and borders. But you should defo shake snow off trees and shrubs to prevent branches breaking or stressing

Yep agree:)

Advertisement