Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you bridge digiweb/UPC modems and retain VOIP telephony

• 20-12-2010 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Avid tomato firmware fan; So I want to ensure I can bridge the modems/routers supplied by digiweb/UPC so that I can still use my own router. Do I have to sacrifice the telephony service to do this? The only other workaround is double NAT, which I'm not sure what the implications could lead to.....

Thanks,
    LK.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Digiweb modems (on Metro) are just Modems they don't need Bridged. I use a ethernet Router running OpenWrt. There are no Digiweb settings.

Digiweb DSL modems can all b e bridged or swpaped entirely.

With UPC it depends what moden you have.

The UPC ones with WiFi are a problem. Double Nat

Some UPC Modems with phone are like the Digiweb, just Modems. So nothing to change.

If there is only one ethernet port, then whatever it is likely is just a Modem. Esp if it only has a status page 192.168.100.1

it it's something with Multiple ethernet ports then it's likely got a Router, if the phone stops working when you eidt settings for Bridge, then you need Double NAT, or see has it got a DMZ and put the WAN IP of your own router as DMZ IP. It's only nasty for SIP and inward port forwarding (all has to be done on both routers!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Thanks Watty, I meant to say I was refering to non-dsl products. I've seen some of the modems names that are been used with UPC, hence the concern of bridging them. Is there a modem product ID for the metro service? From your mail I'm assumimg it must be a box with two telephone ports and one single ethernet port that needs NAT using a separate router? Am I correct?

Thanks,
    LK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

aside frm the new 100mbps modem/router that UPC do, they pretty much only do two devices. one is just a plain single ethernet port modem which is the scientific atlanta epc2203 (you can attach any non-dsl router to this) and another which is the cisco epc2425 which is the wireless router with built in modem that everyone has the bridging problems with.

i'm using the SA EPC2203 with a linksys WRT54GS v4 running tomato 1.28 at the moment and it works perfectly and very rarely if ever needs a reboot and has happily done 200gb+ every month since i've had it on UPC (has BT DSL before that) from November 2008.

my only problem now is that when UPC roll out the 100mbps in my area i know that my good old faithful WRT will finally have to hang up its antenna and make way for something new as i've read on the linksysinfo forums that some of the WRT models have trouble keeping up with WAN port speeds above about 35mbps.

lol, it's a terrible complaint to have though, i never imagined when i first got the WRT and I was on 3mbps that I'd ever have a problem with my router being my internet bottleneck. :D

At present, UPC only offer the EPC2425 as standard on their 15 and 30Mb services, the 8Mb still comes with the EPC2203 as standard; the 2425 is considered a paid upgrade. You may be able to haggle for a 2203 even with the higher speeds but I've heard they're reluctant to do so these days.

EPC2203 - no internal router so no bridging. This one has the older Webstar logo (like mine) but newer versions have a Scientific Atlanta logo instead.
    EPC2203.jpg

EPC2425 - internal router, bridging required
    EPC2425.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

look at you with your fancy pictures and all! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

LeperKing wrote: »
    Thanks Watty, I meant to say I was refering to non-dsl products. I've seen some of the modems names that are been used with UPC, hence the concern of bridging them. Is there a modem product ID for the metro service? From your mail I'm assumimg it must be a box with two telephone ports and one single ethernet port that needs NAT using a separate router? Am I correct?

Thanks,
    LK.

Digiweb only use a Modem + two phone port box on Metro (non-DSL). There is another Fixed Wireless product, but it also is a Modem only and doesn't normally have phone (different technology to Metro).

It does need a separate router. So no bridging needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Johnny86

UPC sent me out the 2203 when i ordered broadband (i've no wireless router)but the last residents left the wireless modem in the house.
    Can i use their wireless modem instead? Or do UPC have it done a certain way that i can't?

Johnny86 wrote: »
    UPC sent me out the 2203 when i ordered broadband (i've no wireless router)but the last residents left the wireless modem in the house.
    Can i use their wireless modem instead? Or do UPC have it done a certain way that i can't?

Your account is provisioned for the serial number of the 2203 so the 2425 won't be assigned to any account on their network. You might be able to phone them and transfer it but they may refuse and ask you to return it as it's still their property.

But if I were you I'd keep the 2203 and attach a separate router, the 2425 is rubbish so this would be a much better option in my opinion.

Advertisement