Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Debating and discussing

• 20-12-2010 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Do you ever find that debating Christianity pulls you away from worship of the Lord and having a relationship with him?

Do you ever just get tired of debating and discussing and just wanna sit down with a packet of custard creams, bottle of red wine and just watch a really horrible black and white film?

Exhausted Onesimus *yawn*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

debating Christianity can sometimes be hard.
    a) we all need something to believe in, but how can we believe in a book of Israeli/Palestinian fables which is essentially what the Old Testament is. It be tantamount to us preaching stories of Fionn Mac Cumghaill as the basis to live our lives.
    b) there's not a lot of evidence of Jesus's life for proof, everything he said adds up to only 25 minutes of talk which isnt a lot.
    c) then we've the issue of Mary been a virgin, when some texts reveal she had other children.
    d) the gospels contradict each other many times and they were written a long time after Jesus's death. So each time a story is told there's always to believe there's bits added on by each story teller.
    In my opinion Christianity is flawed, I was born and raised Catholic but dont believe much of whats in the Bible. Some people cling onto religion as something to base their lives around as theyve nothing else going on. All religions are cults and involve an element of brainwashing to get as many followers as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Dotsey wrote: »
    a) we all need something to believe in, but how can we believe in a book of Israeli/Palestinian fables which is essentially what the Old Testament is. It be tantamount to us preaching stories of Fionn Mac Cumghaill as the basis to live our lives.
    b) there's not a lot of evidence of Jesus's life for proof, everything he said adds up to only 25 minutes of talk which isnt a lot.
    c) then we've the issue of Mary been a virgin, when some texts reveal she had other children.
    d) the gospels contradict each other many times and they were written a long time after Jesus's death. So each time a story is told there's always to believe there's bits added on by each story teller.
    In my opinion Christianity is flawed, I was born and raised Catholic but dont believe much of whats in the Bible. Some people cling onto religion as something to base their lives around as theyve nothing else going on. All religions are cults and involve an element of brainwashing to get as many followers as possible

Please God tell me this reply is a bad joke :( about to be sick! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

Onesimus wrote: »
    Do you ever find that debating Christianity pulls you away from worship of the Lord and having a relationship with him?

Yep. Boards is cursed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Might I suggest a good black and white film eg Casablanca - one which restores my faith in the corruptable nature of humanity (ie Cptn Renault). Think the more time spend on Boards the less (much less) time in purgatory. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Dotsey wrote: »

Thanks for a bucketful of unsubstantiated claims. We have never heard any of them before. Our faith is in tatters.

Anyway, let's keep this on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Thanks for a bucketful of unsubstantiated claims. We have never heard any of them before. Our faith is in tatters.

Anyway, let's keep this on topic.

Isnt your faith based entirely on unsubstantiated claims?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

krudler wrote: »
    Isnt your faith based entirely on unsubstantiated claims?

Nope.

Next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Ohhh crap.......they're on to us. How did you discover our fiendish plan?

>>
    <<
    :mad:
    Wikileeeaaakkksss!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

JimiTime wrote: »
    Nope.

Next.

Because of all that overwhelming, undeniable evidence lying around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

*hick up* in moderation of course :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OP: Yeah sometimes I need to take a break from it. Overall I find it good practice in trying to defend my faith though for when the situation should arise off-boards. It's all about balance.

krudler wrote: »
    Because of all that overwhelming, undeniable evidence lying around?

Yeah, thats it. Its kept in the flying teapot, that orbits the fairy, who rides the invisible pink unicorn, at the end of flying spaghetti monsters garden.

Jakkass wrote: »
    OP: Yeah sometimes I need to take a break from it. Overall I find it good practice in trying to defend my faith though for when the situation should arise off-boards. It's all about balance.

I think its about motivation too. If you are here trying to change peoples minds, then you are in for a very frustrating time. If you are here to be honest, and discuss things, intent on honing ones knowledge and discovering ones lack of knowledge, it can be a great spot. I always find the frustration comes when I forget that I'm not here to change minds. Of course, it can happen that you change someones mind, and my minds been changed about numerous things. However, as soon as it becomes the motive, then yer screwed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭SonOfAdam

Anyway, let's keep this on topic

I actually laughed out loud [which I might add does not go down too well where I am]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

JimiTime wrote: »
    Yeah, thats it. Its kept in the flying teapot, that orbits the fairy, who rides the invisible pink unicorn, at the end of flying spaghetti monsters garden.

This was also comedic gold! Then again it isn't the first time that I've laughed at something JimiTime has posted here :)

Jakkass wrote: »
    This was also comedic gold! Then again it isn't the first time that I've laughed at something JimiTime has posted here :)

I hope you are referring to my attempts at humour, and not my general input:)

Krudler has been banned for being a troll and an insufferable bore who has never had anything remotely interesting to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Don't feed the troll, two to tango and all that. :)

I think one issue Christians and atheists alike have is the feeling that if we don't respond to something, even if it is stupid like the early posts in this thread, that is an implicate acceptance of what was said.

TBH I think it probably works a different way, if people just completely ignore the post it just looks like the person said something so utterly uninteresting and irrelevant that no one could be bothered to even respond. There is something in the argument that arguing back just gives oxygen to the topic.

Wicknight wrote: »
    Don't feed the troll, two to tango and all that. :)

I think one issue Christians and atheists alike have is the feeling that if we don't respond to something, even if it is stupid like the early posts in this thread, that is an implicate acceptance of what was said.

TBH I think it probably works a different way, if people just completely ignore the post it just looks like the person said something so utterly uninteresting and irrelevant that no one could be bothered to even respond. There is something in the argument that arguing back just gives oxygen to the topic.

Yeah, but sometimes its fun:)

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote: »

Bang on, I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Feck it Fanny/Jimi. You should have said nothin' in response...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Nope, I find it usually helps me to think about things more and improves it. Obviously not all the time though.

Advertisement