Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancellation or continuation despite the snow?

Options
  • 20-12-2010 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Just want to guage some opinion here: would you rather the exams were postponed to January or went ahead in spite of the snow? Just curious! And procrastinating...

Do you think the exams should be postponed based on the snow 80 votes

Cancellation
    0% 0 votes
    Continuation
    62% 50 votes
    I hate polls
    37% 30 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

TBH i don't care, i've an almost 40 mile drive from the hills of wicklow to contend with so whatever leaves me not dead is my choice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Need a poll!

Honestly I'd prefer if they went ahead. In saying that, I live in Dublin, and could probably make it in under an hour to the RDS. I live on the northside but sure its just 1 train and they're usually reliable enough even in the snow. I'm guessing I'm the minority though and there'll be many who could end up being stuck in Dublin for days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Personally, I'd prefer to sit my exam and get it over with. It'll take me about an hour and a half to get there, but I'll survive.

Practically, I think they should be cancelled. Too many people will have extreme difficulty travelling, and it's a pretty big Health and Safety risk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I think I would prefer them not to be postponed - get them over and done with.

I understand that there are those who can't get to the exams easily, but there's only two days left - I've heard of a few people planning to stay in a hotel somewhere (!) so they don't have to travel home all the time. Rescheduling couldn't work because of those one semester only students, especially the overseas ones who have their flights booked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Feck sitting these exams, I want them to be cancelled! Have two on Wed which I never turned up to and only started studying today (they are Arts subjects so I'm not worried at all) but I'd like Christmas to begin now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Scatterbrain

I'd say they should be postponed.
    Having exams tomorrow is a real health risk, as well as the fact that a large number of people simply will not be able to make it in.
    UCD will have to deal with a lot of injuries and extenuating circumstance forms, that's for sure.
    Of course, I know that it's hassle to postpone them, but I'm sure something could be worked out with regard to holding exams in campus in January, or by replacing formal exams with essays where viable. Right...?

Oh well, here's hoping they put us out of our misery soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Given that it took me 3 hours to get home (within Dublin). I'd prefer not having a 6 hour travel time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Feck sitting these exams, I want them to be cancelled! Have two on Wed which I never turned up to and only started studying today (they are Arts subjects so I'm not worried at all) but I'd like Christmas to begin now!

Ha, i just realised if my exam tomorrow is cancelled my christmas has officially started.

I'm a bit pissed off with UCD's stance on the whole thing, its ridiculous to have the exams on but then to make people jump through hoops to get extenuating circumstances is a bloody joke. I've an exam at 6pm tomorrow and for me to have to brave coming back here at 9/10/11pm in the depths of the evenings freeze is not on.

I won't be taking risks when i've a child here about the celebrate her first christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Its a must that they should be cancelled for Health & Safety reasons. Even if it stops snowing now, freezing temperatures means everywhere will be treacherous.

If this was just a regular week during the semester, college would be closed. I'm not allowing UCD to put my safety at risk just so the lazy, money grabbing gits dont have the hassle of reorganising them. I only have one left and would prefer to get it over with but I dont fancy another three hour drive home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Ideally I'd like to get them out of the way. But seeing as I'm coming from greystones and there's already no buses, and on a good day takes an hour to get to even ucd I don't fancy it in the snow.

If it gets much worse they won't have much choice. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the rds cancels them and not ucd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

I'm in the same boat as Chet T16, on the edge of the Wicklow mountains. I've one exam left, and would love to get it over with. But it's just not worth it. Far too dangerous. It's ridiculous causing people so much hassle with garda forms etc., when they are thinking of their own safety. What's more important, passing a module or being alive for the new year?

As long as they don't reschedule for during christmas holidays...I'm in final year and have a lot of work for my thesis project to catch up on then! They could carry them out over a few Saturday's in O'Reilly hall or lecture theatres. Or during the 2 week midterm. For students from abroad they could work out alternative methods of assessment, e.g. essays or online tests depending on courses. Exams are important and all...but not worth risking your life (or to a lesser extent, intact bones!) over!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I have one exam left, I prefer to get it over and done with and not having to worry about an exam over Christmas.

I think an essay over the Christmas break should suffice instead of the exams that involve an essay. No need to reorganise those exams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I think an essay over the Christmas break should suffice instead of the exams that involve an essay. No need to reorganise those exams

Then people will give out that they cant access the libraries. Either way, UCD cant win on this situation. The best way is to run the exams and deal with those who couldnt make it on an individual basis

Then people will give out that they cant access the libraries. Either way, UCD cant win on this situation. The best way is to run the exams and deal with those who couldnt make it on an individual basis

The essays could be over the Christmas break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭FewToLose

This is something that like the in the rest of the country has not been prepared for. There are going to be loads of people missing exams tomorrow and UCD had no mechanism to deal with it. Personally, I have three exams left, and I'd quite happily have them postponed till January

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mynameissarah

I'd rather trek across and sit my two exams I have on Wednesday than spend the Christmas holidays fretting over essays that I won't get done thanks to the work schedule.

I've not missed a day nor a class since week 1 of the semester and so I'd rather enjoy having the three weeks off right now. Whilst I think there should be an option for those who genuinely cannot make it, I'd rather those who could were allowed sit the exams and get them out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I wouldn't mind them being postponed at all. More time to study, GPA++.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I've not missed a day nor a class since week 1 of the semester

Fair play!

Conor108 wrote: »
    Fair play!

Cheers, I was rather suprised I did it but it's final year so it was well worth it.

I actually cannot bear the idea of having the semester's workload dragged through the rest of the holidays.

I've already lost a LOT of extra hours in work this week because my exams are due to run until Wednesday night. I am simply not willing to lose extra hours over the break thanks to postponed exams. I've already had Italian exams postponed for the applied language modules and it threw me off completely.

I just want them over and done with now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I think most people would probably prefer to get them over and done with . . . but considering the traffic is still only clearing on the M50 now, they should probably be cancelled.

The snow this evening was only a taster for what is to begin tomorrow - the charts are showing persistent snow from 7AM. Might need to have left home yesterday to get to the RDS at this rate! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

"leave all your belongings behind.we'll get them later!!"..
    leave home now.sleep in the rds till bout the 26th and let su think they handled the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

Hope to god that they aren't cancelled, really want to get them out of the way and finished with. There are loads of foreigners who won't be here after Christmas, so they'll be keen to let them sit their exams.

I also like long days around Christmas, sitting in your dressing gown til dinner, while watching Gandhi, Ben Hur or some other 'Christmassy' film, and don't want an exam to be hanging over me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Gingy wrote: »
    Hope to god that they aren't cancelled, really want to get them out of the way and finished with. There are loads of foreigners who won't be here after Christmas, so they'll be keen to let them sit their exams.

I also like long days around Christmas, sitting in your dressing gown til dinner, while watching Gandhi, Ben Hur or some other 'Christmassy' film, and don't want an exam to be hanging over me.

:eek::eek::eek:

Edit: How is Gandhi Christmassy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Looks like there is snow coming for Dublin in the next few hours. I'd say they'll have to cancel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Looks like there is snow coming for Dublin in the next few hours. I'd say they'll have to cancel.

wow, according to that site there's going to be a lot of precipitation in 1 hr or so.

:eek::eek::eek:

Edit: How is Gandhi Christmassy?

I put 'Christmassy' in apostrophes, because for some reason, these long classic films are always played around Christmas, so they're now 'Christmassy' to me...and you'd have to admit that the scene where Gandhi and lads are flying through the sky on a sleigh delivering presents to people is pretty Christmassy:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

kateos2 wrote: »
    Ideally I'd like to get them out of the way. But seeing as I'm coming from greystones and there's already no buses, and on a good day takes an hour to get to even ucd I don't fancy it in the snow.

If it gets much worse they won't have much choice. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the rds cancels them and not ucd.

The DART is still running and it leaves you a 5 minute walk from the RDS

One more day, supposed to have my last two tomorrow, I actually really want them to go ahead because one is 100% of my grade and the other is 50%.

I've already done a huge mind numbing essay for one, I just want to forget the subject forever.

• Advertisement

Exams from 6 tonight have been postponed til the 17th and 18th of January:(

Advertisement