Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGBT Anonymous Workplace Survey - consider NOT participating

Options
  • 21-12-2010 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

There is an LGBT Anonymous Workplace Survey being conducted by some academics in TCD.

I'm going to suggest NOT PARTICIPATING.

Why? Because of a pet peeve of mine - question 11 lists "transgender" alongside sexual orientations. I think this shows that the people who put the survey together don't actually understand what they are talking about, and so they are not the right people to give the information to.

The survey is here, though please consider NOT PARTICIPATING

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

but they're asking what your LGBT orientation is. Not sexual orientation. The 'T' in LGBT has to come from somewhere. Whether you like it or not, transgender is bundled with lesbian, gay and bisexual. Otherwise you wouldn't be posting here in the LGBT forum.

Also, in q 14 they differentiate sexual and gender identity. Perfectly acceptable if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

The exact wording is "Please indicate what you consider your Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or Transgender (LGBT) identity to be." That's perfectly acceptable. They're just asking where you identify yourself as part of the LGBT spectrum, not equating transgender as a sexual orientation.

On a personal note, I've taken classes given by that study's supervisor, and she's very clued-in on survey research in general and sensitive psychological research in particular.

Also, later questions differentiate between sexual orientation and gender identity, and question 24 asks specifically if you identify as male, female, transgender, or other (with a space to fill in).

I'm not saying you don't need to be careful to be aware of heteronormative or cisnormative assumptions in research - I've pointed them out to fellow psychology students and researchers before, and actively avoid them in my own research - but I think that in this case your concerns are unfounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The exact wording is "Please indicate what you consider your Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or Transgender (LGBT) identity to be." That's perfectly acceptable. They're just asking where you identify yourself as part of the LGBT spectrum, not equating transgender as a sexual orientation.
    That's a bit silly though because you could identify as Trans AND Lesbian.

I think it could be worded better -

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    That's a bit silly though because you could identify as Trans AND Lesbian.

I think it could be worded better -

Oh, definitely, though there is an "other" option you can fill in. It's poorly worded, but even in that I don't think it's either offensive or ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Eebs

Oh, definitely, though there is an "other" option you can fill in. It's poorly worded, but even in that I don't think it's either offensive or ignorant.

She didn't actually call it offensive, though in fairness it is ignorant (though again she didn't say that). She said it was a pet peeve.

It's one of my pet peeves too* but I tend to just email the authors and highlight it instead of not taking the survey. They won't reallu get the message that way. Any message actually since less people will fill out the survey making it less and less accurate.

Most surveys are TERRIBLY done. Not just LGBT ones.

*Badly written surveys on the whole are actually a pet peeve of mine really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Bit unfair, this thread. It's just someone trying to do a survey for their studies, I really think that if there was a questionable wording or implication then the mature thing to do would be to contact the person directly and make them aware of this. People conducting surveys of this kind are always grateful for comment and criticism, as it's something that they can include in the study afterwards. And, as has been said by others, it's just a case of something that could possibly have been worded better.

After all, the fact that this person is doing this survey as part of a Diploma in Psychology suggests to me that at the very least, they are probably not a person out to spread ignorance or misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

zoegh wrote: »
    but they're asking what your LGBT orientation is. Not sexual orientation.
    I'm bisexual transgendered. Which should I marginalise when it comes to answering question 11?
    The 'T' in LGBT has to come from somewhere.
    Yes - it comes under the question "gender identity". Most people will answer in the male/female binary, but some will answer M2F/F2M.
    Whether you like it or not, transgender is bundled with lesbian, gay and bisexual.
    I love that transgender is bundled with lesbian, gay and bisexual! I just don't get it when I'm forced to marginalise either my trans side or my bisexual side.
    Also, in q 14 they differentiate sexual and gender identity. Perfectly acceptable if you ask me.
    I have to admit I didn't get that far.

Eebs wrote: »
    She didn't actually call it offensive, though in fairness it is ignorant (though again she didn't say that).
    In fairness, I kinda did call it ignorant! :) My point is that I believe it shows enough ignorance that LGBT people should consider not participating.
    It's one of my pet peeves too* but I tend to just email the authors and highlight it instead of not taking the survey. They won't reallu get the message that way. Any message actually since less people will fill out the survey making it less and less accurate.
    I've already emailed the survey authors. As for my decision to not participate - I don't give out information about my life to just anyone who asks. They have to show me, for instance, that they are professional, understanding, and that they will put the information to good use. This survey fails at least 2 of those 3 tests IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm bisexual transgendered. Which should I marginalise when it comes to answering question 11?

Just select "other" and write in your reasons. Follow up with a call/letter to the organizer and they won't repeat it next time.

The exact wording is "Please indicate what you consider your Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or Transgender (LGBT) identity to be." That's perfectly acceptable.
    Not to me - as I said above, it forces me to marginalise an important part of my identity.
    Also, later questions differentiate between sexual orientation and gender identity, and question 24 asks specifically if you identify as male, female, transgender, or other (with a space to fill in).
    ... all of which makes question 11 utterly and completely pointless!
    I'm not saying you don't need to be careful to be aware of heteronormative or cisnormative assumptions in research - I've pointed them out to fellow psychology students and researchers before, and actively avoid them in my own research - but I think that in this case your concerns are unfounded.
    I respectfully disagree. This is, IMO, enough of a cisnormative survey to raise warning flags with me anyway.

• Advertisement

Just select "other" and write in your reasons. Follow up with a call/letter to the organizer and they won't repeat it next time.
    And that is what makes it a cisnormative survey - many (if not most) transgendered people have to put themselves in the "other" box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

God bless boards, I learn a new word every day

Today the word is
    cisnormative

Again, I'll say write to the organizer with your feedback and it shouldn't happen next time.
    This is a better option then ignoring it as per Post 1

Just select "other"
    In other words - "transgendered people - please use the 'other' box. Unless, of course, you are straight, in which case feel free to use the 'transgendered' box". :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Just goes to show, you try to do something to support LGBT people and because it's not 100% perfect, you're lambasted. Can you not just appreciate the sentiment? There's complaints about the narrow definitions provided, but even homosexual,Bisexual and Lesbian are pretty piss poor categories, what about the straight guys and gay girls who occasionally like to sleep with men, and vice versa? Answer the survey as best you can if you care or not at all if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I find the survey to be perfectly acceptable. Im lesbian, not trans, but I have a few transgender friends. And I have to say from reading this, and other trans members posts on this forum, it presents transgenders as very uptight easily offendible and overly politicially correct people and this is NOT true in my experience. In my experience, I've found them to be very easy going friendly lovely people.

I also dislike the way that anyone (straight, gay or whatever) who comes onto these threads asking about trans people, they get shot down and their head bitten off if they're not 100% PC. I don't tolerate abusiveness or discrimination to any LGBT people, but some people are just clueless and want some information.

Anyway, rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Kind of ironic on the whole, Deirdre Dub. A while ago you were advertising your friend's survey. I criticised it, and you lost the rag. Now here you are criticising somebody else's survey, and expect everybody to agree with you.

I await either:
    a) your lack of response, or
    b) your response that misses the point of my post.

Where is the self righteous indignation over the lack of an asexual option.

This is why, when I did my research project, I had "gender" as a blank field, not a checkbox.

Deirdre, I think these people are really trying. I've given them feedback as well - I just don't think undermining the validity of their results when they're genuinely conducting a study that would be of great benefit to queer working people is the best way to protest their wording. And I have critiqued a study for heteronormativity in the past. It is, in fact, a pet peeve of mine too!

I'm not denying your right to be offended at the study's poor wording, and I think you've expressed your point of view very well. Just ... I think it's easy to get angry at people who, the wording of the questions suggests, have put serious thought into being as inclusive as possible. Much easier than getting angry at every other survey or Internet form in the world that asks "Male / Female".

In summary, friendly fire sucks. :/

Aard wrote: »
    Kind of ironic on the whole, Deirdre Dub. A while ago you were advertising your friend's survey. I criticised it, and you lost the rag. Now here you are criticising somebody else's survey, and expect everybody to agree with you.
    The title of this thread says "consider not participating", so I don't understand how you can say that I expect everyone to agree with me. Of course I don't!!!
    I await either:
    a) your lack of response, or
    b) your response that misses the point of my post.
    Sorry to disappoint you, but it seems that option (c) is to point out that you apparently don't understand the difference between an argued request to consider something, and an expectation of that something.

Deirdre, I think these people are really trying. I've given them feedback as well - I just don't think undermining the validity of their results when they're genuinely conducting a study that would be of great benefit to queer working people is the best way to protest their wording.

(snip)

In summary, friendly fire sucks. :/
    Point taken.

I'm not questioning their motivation - I'm questioning their competance. I really really don't want to see yet another academic report that portrays transgenderism as some sort of sexual fetish. I'm fearing reading something in the report along the lines of "those whose sexual orientation is transgenderism face a different set of challenges in the workplace".

One of the reasons why it took me so long to come out to myself (I'm 41) is because I swallowed all this stuff about transgenderism being a sexual orientation. It did me enormous harm in my life. I simply cannot participate in something that may perpetuate that misunderstanding of what transgenderism is and isn't. And I most especially cannot participate in it when it has the academic weight of TCD behind it.

• Advertisement

Boston wrote: »
    Where is the self righteous indignation over the lack of an asexual option.
    Right there ^^^ ?

nologi wrote: »
    I find the survey to be perfectly acceptable.
    Good for you!
    Im lesbian, not trans, but I have a few transgender friends. And I have to say from reading this, and other trans members posts on this forum, it presents transgenders as very uptight easily offendible and overly politicially correct people and this is NOT true in my experience. In my experience, I've found them to be very easy going friendly lovely people.
    Have you not also found us to be a much misunderstood people? When we come across things (like this survey) which perpetuates those misunderstandings, what are we supposed to do - roll over and play nice and take it?!

Does it not stick in your throat when people come on here and spout the usual rubbish about what "all lesbians" are like?
    I also dislike the way that anyone (straight, gay or whatever) who comes onto these threads asking about trans people, they get shot down and their head bitten off if they're not 100% PC. I don't tolerate abusiveness or discrimination to any LGBT people, but some people are just clueless and want some information.
    You are talking about a different issue here - unless, that is, that you are agreeing with me that these TCD academics are (as you say) "clueless"?

It is, of course, to be expected that Joe Sixpack off the street will be clueless about these issues. However, it is another matter entirely when these misconceptions are coming from a bunch of academics in a survey they put together on lgbt issues.
    Anyway, rant over!
    And you were giving out to me for ranting?

Just goes to show, you try to do something to support LGBT people and because it's not 100% perfect, you're lambasted.
    The reason why I'm coming on here about this is because this is an academic survey with the weight of TCD behind it that perpetuates a misunderstanding of transgenderism. That is much more serious than your regular run-of-the-mill community initiative.
    Can you not just appreciate the sentiment?
    Can I not just roll over, play nice, and take whatever these people throw at me? Eh - no. If gay people in the 70s rolled over and accepted the academic consensus of the time that gay is a disease, where would you be now?

One of the reasons why it took me so long to come out to myself (I'm 41) is because I swallowed all this stuff about transgenderism being a sexual orientation. It did me enormous harm in my life. I simply cannot participate in something that may perpetuate that misunderstanding of what transgenderism is and isn't. And I most especially cannot participate in it when it has the academic weight of TCD behind it.

Christ. Quoted from the first page of the survery
    lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender

No rational person could get "being Transgender is a sexual orientation" from that. You're allowing your personal bias and desire to see insult in the innocent misguide your judgement. It's very clear from that line of text that the authors recognise that a distinction exists between sexual identity and gender identity.

Maybe therir execution was a bit poor later on, but the correct place to make your "requests" are with the author. Coming onto an online forum and attempting to portray the authors of the survey as unthinking, uncaring and backwards is laughable. One would think there were bigger thing to get upset about.
    The reason why I'm coming on here about this is because this is an academic survey with the weight of TCD behind it that perpetuates a misunderstanding of transgenderism. That is much more serious than your regular run-of-the-mill community initiative.
    Can I not just roll over, play nice, and take whatever these people throw at me? Eh - no. If gay people in the 70s rolled over and accepted the academic consensus of the time that gay is a disease, where would you be now?

Have you the first clue what the survey is about? You're greatly exaggerating it's significance. You're also taking it as a personal attack upon yourself that you, personally, aren't catered for. Maybe for the purposes of whatever work the author is doing it doesn't matter if your both Gay/Bi and Transgendered? Maybe that's statically insignificant? You've every right to like drama, but there's enough in the world without creating more just because you're bored.

If gay people in the 70s rolled over and accepted the academic consensus of the time that gay is a disease, where would you be now?
    I'd just like to point out that transgenderism is still considered to be a disease. I believe it is listed in the DSM near paedophilia.

I'm currently in the process of trying to secure the services of a psychiatrist, and beg him to diagnose me with a mental illness, as without that diagnosis I cannot get surgery.

Imagine, if you can, what it would be like for you if you had to beg a psychiatrist to diagnose you with a mental illness before you were allowed to sleep with your partner. Really - try and imagine what that would be like. You have to go to your GP and ask him to refer you to a psychiatrist. You then have to go to the psychiatrist and tell him all about your childhood and all that stuff, and hope, actually HOPE, that he decides that you are mentally ill, as only then will you have the RIGHT to sleep with your loved one. Now that you have imagined what it might be like, take note that this is the reality for transgendered people.

So, no, I'm not going to roll over and play nice when these people tell me that I am what I know I'm not. OK?

So, no, I'm not going to roll over and play nice when these people tell me that I am what I know I'm not. OK?

What is it you feel they are telling you you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The title of this thread says "consider not participating", so I don't understand how you can say that I expect everyone to agree with me. Of course I don't!!!

Sorry to disappoint you, but it seems that option (c) is to point out that you apparently don't understand the difference between an argued request to consider something, and an expectation of that something.
    So, (b) then?

Christ. Quoted from the first page of the survery.
    Christ - I thought I had said that my beef isn't with the first page of the survey - it is with question 11.
    You're allowing your personal bias and desire to see insult in the innocent misguide your judgement.
    So now I have a desire to see insult?! Good grief!

I think it's clear that what is actually happening here is that you have a desire to see me as someone with a desire to see insult? At a guess, I'd say that you could be doing that so that you can easily dismiss me?
    Maybe there execution was a bit poor later on, but the correct place to make your "requests" are with the author. Coming onto an online forum and attempting to portray the authors of the survey as unthinking, uncaring and backwards is laughable.
    I have obviously failed to convince you with my arguments. I accept that. Now go away.

Aard wrote: »
    So, (b) then?
    OK - yes - (b) - you have failed to communicate your point to me.

(Sorry - Aard - it takes two to tango - I'm not going to take sole responsibility for not understanding your point).

• Advertisement

What is it you feel they are telling you you are?
    I believe I answered that above when I talked about what I feared the final report could say.

Look - it's a fear - it's not a foregone conclusion. If I'm the only person with that fear, then so be it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement