Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return items to a store without receipt?

Options
  • 21-12-2010 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

This is probably a little dishonest, but I'll ask anyway, I bought a pair of boots online from the US, but they are too small. I was wondering if it is possible to exchange them for a larger size in a shop here? I can post them back, but wanted the boots asap,and by the time I've shipped them back to the US, and pay possible customs again, it won't have been worth my while.

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

AnnaGram85 wrote: »
    This is probably a little dishonest, but I'll ask anyway, I bought a pair of boots online from the US, but they are too small. I was wondering if it is possible to exchange them for a larger size in a shop here? I can post them back, but wanted the boots asap,and by the time I've shipped them back to the US, and pay possible customs again, it won't have been worth my while.

Any advice?

I think you should go in and get yourself sorted as you suggest in town, sure its only a little dishonest. Sure a shop that's probably struggling already will suffer, but sure as long as your looked after. We don't want you to have sore feet after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Any advice?

Yeah, try them on before you buy the next time, and don't try to scam a business because you're too lazy to do it the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

jor el wrote: »
    Yeah, try them on before you buy the next time,
    Not only that, but buy them in the shop you tried them on, not try them on in a shop and then go off to the internet to buy them cheaper.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

mdebets wrote: »
    Not only that, but buy them in the shop you tried them on, not try them on in a shop and then go off to the internet to buy them cheaper.

Fuck that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Usually places online have a returns policy which should be free of charge...

In my opinion, you could do it but as someone who's wages gets docked everytime a customer comes in without a receipt to exchange something, i wouldn't exchange them for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

and people come on here every day and b1tch and moan about how some retailer won't exchange something without a receipt or complain about how their nonexistant right to change something because they changed their mind is being violated.

Give them to someone else as a present and stop trying to screw another person over.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - take it easy on the OP.

OP - your contract is with the retailer, in this case the retailer in the US. It's highly unlikely that any store in Ireland will swop the shoes for you without proof of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Also be aware they may not scan, the bar code could be different, so when you lie and tell the shop your boots were bought there for a present you could be caught out.

Previously a lot of stock from the north wouldn't scan here ie nappies / health and beauty items, same item different bar code etc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Boot/Shoe sizes are notoriously variable.

Why would anyone buy such online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

watty wrote: »
    Boot/Shoe sizes are notoriously variable.

Why would anyone buy such online?
    they think they're being clever by saving a few quid.

no receipt=no refund/no exchange/no proof of purchase/no luck for chancers like you!;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

I bought a pair of boots online from the US, but they are too small.
    Any advice?

Next time order a size bigger?

US sizes are not the same as ours ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_size#Adults

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

US size can need to be UK size +3 for some sizes
    Size also varies with make, style and width of foot.

Even in UK/Ireland/Europe a 6 (39) for Adult can be as little as 4 or as much as 7 depending on style, Make, if you want thin socks, two pairs hiking sock etc. A Child's 5 or 6 will be usually skinnier than an Adult 5 or 6 if there are no width fittings. Clarkes is only brand here commonly with width fittings for Adults as well as kids and it's not same scheme as USA.

Just buy shoes/boots in a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭AnnaGram85

mdebets wrote: »
    Sorry but that is complete bull. You mean to tell me that if you could get something for €100+cheaper online you'd still buy them in the shop? I wish I had money to burn like that!!

Knew I'd get my knuckles rapped for such a suggestion, but some of the larger shoe stores like Schuh are hardly going to go under because of my 1 pair of boots!

Thank you to dudara for the sensible response.

busman, I am aware US sizes are different and already allowed for that.

Thanks to those who responded sensibly.

To those on your high horses, get down off them fairly quick. There's a lot more scamming going on in this country that goes 'unnoticed'.

watty wrote: »
    US size can need to be UK size +3 for some sizes
    Size also varies with make, style and width of foot.

Even in UK/Ireland/Europe a 6 (39) for Adult can be as little as 4 or as much as 7 depending on style, Make, if you want thin socks, two pairs hiking sock etc. A Child's 5 or 6 will be usually skinnier than an Adult 5 or 6 if there are no width fittings. Clarkes is only brand here commonly with width fittings for Adults as well as kids and it's not same scheme as USA.

Just buy shoes/boots in a shop.
    Thanks for this. Perhaps this is what happened with me. Will return them for a bigger size and keep fingers crossed.

tatabubbly wrote: »
    Usually places online have a returns policy which should be free of charge...

In my opinion, you could do it but as someone who's wages gets docked everytime a customer comes in without a receipt to exchange something, i wouldn't exchange them for you
    I didn't realise this would happen for a non receipt. Thanks for informing me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Sorry but that is complete bull. You mean to tell me that if you could get something for €100+cheaper online you'd still buy them in the shop? I wish I had money to burn like that!!

Not really. You're confusing price with value. They might be $100 cheaper in price but they've no value if they don't fit and effectively it's yourself who has burnt all the money.

Nevertheless, you might very well get lucky if you ask the online retailer for an exchange or very very lucky if you stumble upon a very generous bricks n mortar shoe shop owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

No, but if I use the facilities of a shop, I'll buy it there. If I buy online, I don't use the facilities of a brick and mortar shop.

busman, I am aware US sizes are different and already allowed for that.

Other than Wellington's, the only footwear than I have bought in the last 5 years has been from the USA. The last time I was over I got a pair of hiking boots in REI on discount for $99, same pair here was €175. I'm also a big fan of Vans (size 9 US) :D

I'm all for international trade, but you have to be aware that there can also be disadvantages like you have found out.
    It's not nice to try to have one's cake and eat it too ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

busman wrote: »
    Other than Wellington's, the only footwear than I have bought in the last 5 years has been from the USA. The last time I was over I got a pair of hiking boots in REI on discount for $99, same pair here was €175. I'm also a big fan of Vans (size 9 US) :D

I'm all for international trade, but you have to be aware that there can also be disadvantages like you have found out.
    It's not nice to try to have one's cake and eat it too ... ;)
    What's the point in having cake if you can't eat it?!

What's the point in having cake if you can't eat it?!

Nothing if you can get away with it I guess?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_one's_cake_and_eat_it_too

• Advertisement
Advertisement