Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

making sure the phone doesnt use mobile internet

• 21-12-2010 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

ok so i got my first droid phone today, just wondering, if i turn off auto sync and have no apps running(ive been killing with atk) is this enough to ensure that i will not go online and be charged for data?on PAYG vodafone and dont fancy spending 99 cent a day on days i dont use the net on my phone but ill be connected through wifi most of the time anyway.

or can i simply just disable mobile internet altogether unless its needed by me? being able to auto sync over wifi and stuff would be nice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

weeder wrote: »
    ok so i got my first droid phone today, just wondering, if i turn off auto sync and have no apps running(ive been killing with atk) is this enough to ensure that i will not go online and be charged for data?on PAYG vodafone and dont fancy spending 99 cent a day on days i dont use the net on my phone but ill be connected through wifi most of the time anyway.

or can i simply just disable mobile internet altogether unless its needed by me? being able to auto sync over wifi and stuff would be nice.

what phone is it?

HTC phones have a mobile data widget - which can be used to turn off access to the 3g/EDGE data service - whatever your phone can get. I am sure other Android based phones would have similar stuff available as default or available to download from the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

weeder wrote: »
    or can i simply just disable mobile internet altogether unless its needed by me?
    It's in Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks. Just untick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

On mine (sony ericsson x8) its in settings, wireless networks, mobile networks, Data traffic, if i uncheck that (which I do ) it disables 3g giving me total control over it for the same reason you want to, I use wifi and am on payg.

I also set sync to manual just in case I get sloppy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

seems to have done it, perma have an icon on my notifications bar telling me data is disabled. also have net sentry installed for when i do go online. auto sync is turned on as id like wifi syncing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

if its a htc phone you can toggle it easily by holding the power button :) a menu option comes up with mobile data toggle :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

if its a htc phone you can toggle it easily by holding the power button :) a menu option comes up with mobile data toggle :)
    never noticed that! Just goes to show how little I turn it off...

Nevore wrote: »
    never noticed that! Just goes to show how little I turn it off...

Hehe :) Best advice i ever got from my uncle came with a PS1 :) told me to try every button to see what it does in the game :)

It works in real life too hehe :) i try all sort of things with new phones :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

htc phones generally only have about 5 buttons so its not much effort either :)

what annoys me is that apps decide to start themselves randomly...
    especially when i enable data, they all just decide to activate

kenyard wrote: »
    htc phones generally only have about 5 buttons so its not much effort either :)

what annoys me is that apps decide to start themselves randomly...
    especially when i enable data, they all just decide to activate

thats why i took sense of it :) too many background apps running. Using MIUI Build now :) set CPU set to 600mhz and it uses around 30% of battery per day :)

Advertisement