Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samuel Eto'o Wins African Footballer of the Year

• 21-12-2010 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

I have to say, congratulations to the lad. Although he's only 29, he's won the award 4 times now and through his career, he's been constantly lethal infront of goal. I can't believe he's only 29 either. Seems like he's been banging them in for years and he's won a lot too. Some player and he's still got a few more years left in him. Has to be one of the best forwards around and should go down as a great when he's finshed up.

Do you think Eto'o will/should go down as one of the all time great strikers? 34 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 34 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

He's one of the best in the world, but "all-time great" is probably stretching it a bit tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

flahavaj wrote: »
    He's one of the best in the world, but "all-time great" is probably stretching it a bit tbh.

real madrid didnt seem to think so

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Unfortunately I can't edit the poll question and I was hasty while typing it and didn't really get to say what I meant which would be more along the lines of "if he continues like this for the next 3 or 4 years, do you think he would/should be classed as an all time great" but it's too late for that.

I just think that the lad has been scoring some amount of goals for years now and seems to be continueing to do so. I wouldn't class him as one of the greats yet but feel that if he does keep it up, he can become one.

BERBA wrote: »
    real madrid didnt seem to think so

Doesn't mean they were right. Think at the time, they already had some lethal forwards at the club who Eto'o wasn't going to displace like Raul and Ronaldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I think he will go down as an all time great tbh. His record every season has been phenomenal. He scored his teams first goal in 2 CL finals, in which they went on to win both times. He has won 3 CLs, about 6 league titles. He is a big game player.

No reason why he should not be looked at fondly as a great long after he calls it quits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Eto'o is unbelievable. For the last 10 years, he has basically averaged a goal every other game for Inter, Mallorca and Cameroon....even better than that at Barcelona.

He has won practically everything at club level, played at the WC finals, and been ridiculously consistent. I think he should be up there tbh. I would love to see him in the Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Compromise - Greatest African player ever? Between him and Georgie Weah IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Agreed, good debate that. I prefer Eto'o as I'm biased, he may not have been as naturally gifted as Weah, but his consistency and mental strength mean I think overall he'll go down as the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Eto'o, for me, is up there with the very best all round strikers i've ever seen. Just a step behind Ronaldo imo. (That step being the difference between amazing and godlike).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I'll never forget that goal he scored on the volley with outside of his boot from the left hand side of the box. Got him a hatrick as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There's nobody in the world better than him as a striker IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Did not think he was only 29. Seems like he's been around for ever.

Looks so gangly and awkward on the ball but surely the most lethal finisher we've seen for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Well he was instrumental in winning 3 Champions Leagues for his clubs - 2 for Barca and 1 for Inter. Plus his goal-scoring record is phenomenal. Definitely in the Top 3 ever players from Africa, I still rather Weah but ya he will go down as one hell of a striker. Still a lot to give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Definitely doesn't deserve African footballer of the year IMO.

I'd give that to Drogba, Essien, Kalou or even Gyan before him.

He's had a good end to 2010, but most of the year he's been fairly quiet.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

:eek:

He won the treble FFS!

Gyan!? Kalou!? Essien was injured most of 2010!

Hope that post is a wind-up cos it's embarrassing otherwise tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I assume you're joking?

In this calendar year he's won Seria A, Italian Cup, Champions League, become top scorer of all time in the African Nations Cup, and scored 16 goals in 19 appearances in the league and champions league this season!

Thats about as awesome a year as its possible to have!

keane2097 wrote: »
    :eek:

He won the treble FFS!

Gyan!? Kalou!? Essien was injured most of 2010!

Hope that post is a wind-up cos it's embarrassing otherwise tbh.
    Conveniently you left out Drogba :rolleyes:

He scored 16 goals in 47 games.

Christ I didn't realise we all had to have the same opinion as you, sorry.

Conveniently you left out Drogba :rolleyes:

He scored 16 goals in 47 games.

Christ I didn't realise we all had to have the same opinion as you, sorry.

That's because Drogba is somewhat - possibly - debatable.

The other three are beyond retarded.

I've seen some baaaaaaaaaaaaad posts by you over the last couple of weeks, but that one is just special.

That's because Drogba is somewhat - possibly - debatable.

The other three are beyond retarded.

I've seen some baaaaaaaaaaaaad posts by you over the last couple of weeks, but that one is just special.
    Drogba - Scored 37 goals last season and helped Chelsea to win the FA cup and EPL.
    Kalou - 12 goals in 35 games last year, and 7 goals in 9 this year, add to that numerous assists, fairly big part in Chelsea winning the FA cup and EPL.
    Essien - May have been injured, but when he played he was a dominant force, and always a crucial player for chelsea when he plays, also a big part of them winning the Fa cup and EPL.
    Gyan - Voted the BBC African player of the year, and helped take Ghana to their first quarter final in the world cup ever, shortlisted for the ballon d'or, two man of the match performances in the world cup, picked on the african nations team of the year.

You're attempts to troll almost all my posts are laughable at this stage dude.

Eto'o wasn't the best african player, IN MY OPINION, in case you missed that bit the last time.

:rolleyes:

Drogba - Scored 37 goals last season and helped Chelsea to win the FA cup and EPL.

Drogba is debatable. Scored a lot of goals in the EPL.

Still Eto'o played in the team that knocked them out of the Champions League, and while you could make an argument for Drogba, on the balance of their achievements over the calendar year it's not really close tbh.

A stopped clock is right twice a day as well obv.
    Kalou - 12 goals in 35 games last year, and 7 goals in 9 this year, add to that numerous assists, fairly big part in Chelsea winning the FA cup and EPL.

Not sure where your stats are coming from because Kalou actually played a whopping 23 games for Chelsea last year, over half of which were off the bench, so I would say his part wasn't exactly huge after all.

You'd have a sub ahead of Eto'o though, fair enough.
    Essien - May have been injured, but when he played he was a dominant force, and always a crucial player for chelsea when he plays, also a big part of them winning the Fa cup and EPL.

Do you know how many times Essien played for Chelsea in 2010 when he was "a big part of them winning the FA cup and EPL"?

Will I tell you?

Nah, I'll let you have a guess.

Less than 20 games the entire calendar year and you'd have him ahead of Eto'o.
    Gyan - Voted the BBC African player of the year, and helped take Ghana to their first quarter final in the world cup ever, shortlisted for the ballon d'or, two man of the match performances in the world cup, picked on the african nations team of the year.

Sub for Sunderland.

Eto'o wasn't the best african player, IN MY OPINION, in case you missed that bit the last time.

You can write "opinion" as largely as you want. My opinion is that your opinion is absurd, and my opinion is also that absurdities of particularly epic scope like this should be challenged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Ali+Dia+Southampton.jpg

Lol @ people belittling Eto'o last season because he didnt score goals, he sacrificed himself for Inter under Mourinho, becoming a winger who ran the channels and defended from the front, and in the process became the only player EVER to win two trebles, consecutively too.... I'd like to see Drogba's reaction to being told to play on the wings. Last season only highlights how diverse Eto'o can be, not how bad he is at goalscoring. He's proved his striking abilities already on umpteen occasions.

Gyan, just because the BBC says he's African Footballer of the Year, who in the BBC even came up with that because the rest of the African nations don't seem to share that opinion. He had a good season but, actually, seriously I'm not even going to debate that one because it's pointless. If the lad had of been so good, I doubt he'd still be playing for who he's playing with now without belittling Sunderland.

Kalou, don't have a clue how you can think this lad could be picked ahead of Eto'o because he's only a squad player for starters. Not ahead of Anelka or Drogba in the pecking order hence why he's a bench man.

Essien, injured for the majority of the campaign and struggled to get near the world cup which didn't work out anyway.

Drogba, sure he wasn't getting his game at one point when he returned from injury as Anelka was ahead of him and doing the business for Chelsea and the team was performing. Suffered from injuries. Fair enough he ended the season well but still didn't help his team to a treble.

Eto'o played emensely last season and rightly got the award for a fourth time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sub for Sunderland.

Get your facts right here. He's not a sub for Sunderland.

He was on the bench for the first few weeks whilst he gained the required fitness to play regular Premier League football and has since started every game when fit. The only thing ruling him out of a select couple of games for the past 6-8 weeks have been niggling injuries.

Do you honestly think Sunderland would pay £13m for a substitute?

Asamoah Gyan is a well deserved runner-up of the award. Eto'o deserved to win, but Gyan certainly deserved 2nd place IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You haven't a ****ing clue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

He was one third of one of the very best striking attacks that was Barcelona 08/09, so he would have a very good claim for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

I'll never forget that goal he scored on the volley with outside of his boot from the left hand side of the box. Got him a hatrick as well.
    must of been some goal to get a hatrick out of it haha, sure it must of went in 3 times woohoo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

I don't think winning the AFOTY makes him World Class.

What he's done in his career makes him World Class! I think over his career he is as good a striker as you can get!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've always been a big fan of Eto'o and he will go down as one of the all time great strikers imo. He did a good job for Inter last year but he wasn't brilliant for them by any means.

I think Drogba should have gotten the award. He was just outstanding last season. He has stopped all the playacting and became an even better player than he ever was before imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

eagle eye wrote: »
    I've always been a big fan of Eto'o and he will go down as one of the all time great strikers imo. He did a good job for Inter last year but he wasn't brilliant for them by any means.

I think Drogba should have gotten the award. He was just outstanding last season. He has stopped all the playacting and became an even better player than he ever was before imo.

I wouldn't go that far now, tbf. He has certainly toned it down a bit, but he hasn't completely stopped.

Eto'o deserved the award, imo. First African player to win a major treble?

baz2009 wrote: »
    First African player to win a major treble?

Twice. in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

eZe^ wrote: »
    Lol @ people belittling Eto'o last season because he didnt score goals, he sacrificed himself for Inter under Mourinho, becoming a winger who ran the channels and defended from the front, and in the process became the only player EVER to win two trebles, consecutively too.... I'd like to see Drogba's reaction to being told to play on the wings. Last season only highlights how diverse Eto'o can be, not how bad he is at goalscoring. He's proved his striking abilities already on umpteen occasions.

This is such a good post. Mourinho wasn't persisting with him out wide for the craic like. And Benitez has put him back as a focal piece striker and BAM!, he's banging them in again. Immense player.

Paully D wrote: »
    Get your facts right here. He's not a sub for Sunderland.

He was on the bench for the first few weeks whilst he gained the required fitness to play regular Premier League football and has since started every game when fit. The only thing ruling him out of a select couple of games for the past 6-8 weeks have been niggling injuries.

Do you honestly think Sunderland would pay £13m for a substitute?

Asamoah Gyan is a well deserved runner-up of the award. Eto'o deserved to win, but Gyan certainly deserved 2nd place IMO.

How long do you think it would take Eto'o to gain the required fitness to play in the EPL?

The players aren't on the same planet in terms of ability or what they've achieved in 2010, it's not even close.

Drogba >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gyan in ability and achievements as well by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

eZe^ wrote: »
    Twice. in a row.

I forgot about the Barca one.:o:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

baz2009 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far now, tbf. He has certainly toned it down a bit, but he hasn't completely stopped.

He has stopped in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

How long do you think it would take Eto'o to gain the required fitness to play in the EPL?

The players aren't on the same planet in terms of ability or what they've achieved in 2010, it's not even close.

Drogba >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gyan in ability and achievements as well by the way.

So, we've agreed that you're wrong and Gyan isn't a sub for Sunderland then? Nice backtracking.

Paully D wrote: »
    So, we've agreed that you're wrong and Gyan isn't a sub for Sunderland then? Nice backtracking.

I was obv being flippant.

I don't think winning the AFOTY makes him World Class.

What he's done in his career makes him World Class! I think over his career he is as good a striker as you can get!

It's not winning AFOTY that makes him world class and not what I am saying. If he wasn't world class, why would he have played instrumental roles for Barca and Inter when they both won the treble?

The lad is lethal infront of goal and certainly is world class. My question is would people consider him an all time great IF he continues as he is doing now until the end of his career?

Advertisement