Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biblical movies

• 21-12-2010 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

A simple and on the lighter side thread for a changeicon7.gif

Tomorrow you are given a chance to write a screen play and direct a movie based on a part of the Bible of your choice.

What part of the Bible would your movie be about?

For me id like my movie to follow the life of one of the apostles before during and after they knew Jesus.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

The book of Job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuU0mL4EbYs&feature=fvw

One of my favourite films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

The Prodigal Son. Making a lengthy movie out of that would be awesome.

am I only allowed to pick one? *sniff sniffle*

The story of Judith would be amazing too.

Just thought I'd give both the Old and New testament a chance. hehe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I'd like to see one about Pilate, or some other Roman soldier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

prinz wrote: »
    I'd like to see one about Pilate, or some other Roman soldier.

Wasn't there one like this already? Can't think of it, but have some vague recollection.

King David is one of my favourite biblical characters, but the movie with Richard Gere sucked:( Love to see a good epic King David flick.

Also, I'd love to see a Jesus movie that doesn't portray him as this dour, woe ridden, fairly loveless heap.

One thing I loved about the 'Passion' film Mel Gibson did was a very brief flashback scene to Jesus as a child grazing his knee, and also the bit where he's 'havin the craic with his ma':) It showed a REAL person. A carpenter and a human son, who had a relationship with his mother, and unlike other biopics of his life, him laughing and smiling. Its so bizarre, that in a movie that concentrated solely on his abuse and ultimate death, that I took away from it that it is the only Jesus biopic I recall, where he is human, and is happy and loving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I saw Evan Almighty again the other night on TV and it really does raise a lot of good questions. How much do we really believe in God being one of them.

Jakkass wrote: »
    I saw Evan Almighty again the other night on TV and it really does raise a lot of good questions. How much do we really believe in God being one of them.

Seriously? Act of Random Kindness? 'Do the Dance'? Seriously JA, seriously?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

I'd get Ang Lee to direct the David and Jonathon movie.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Heaven and Hell strikes me as an interesting study for comparison.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Noah's Ark, people!

A CGI blockbuster... or a comedy, maybe, about two guys who dress up as the front and rear of a female unicorn to get on board. :pac:

• Advertisement

On a slightly related note my OH went to see the new Narnia flick a few days ago and came away really unimpressed at the apparent dropping of the Christian theme to the tales which would be a pity.

As for blockbusters the Old Testament had it all, sex, wars, natural disasters, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I would encourage people to see Of Gods and Men. Think of it as a French version of The Monastery (there are quite a few shots of the monks worshipping in their very humble chapel) but with the constant threat of destruction always around the corner.

It's just about to finish up in the IFI but I'm sure it will be out on DVD shortly.

Just to add, it stars who I assume to be Russell Crow's more haggard twin French brother.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Comrades - surely we are missing out on the Final book of the bible, Revelations. Think of the amount of SFX + the zombies* (which are a la mode this season) which might be crammed into the movie.

* denotes artistic licence

I would encourage people to see Of Gods and Men. Think of it as a French version of The Monastery (there are quite a few shots of the monks worshipping in their very humble chapel) but with the constant threat of destruction always around the corner.

It's just about to finish up in the IFI but I'm sure it will be out on DVD shortly.

we're planning on seeing it tomorrow. It got 100% on rotten tomatos apparently. Praise indeed.

Dades wrote: »
    Noah's Ark, people!

Apparently not even special effects could make such a vessel seaworthy (according to those on the skeptical side of the evolution/creationism debate)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

we're planning on seeing it tomorrow. It got 100% on rotten tomatos apparently. Praise indeed.

??? Where are you going to see it? you living in France then?

I assume it will be in the IFI

Rotten tomatoes is good but I've found a lot of films will score very highly in the first weeks and then drop after that as more results come in. It can be deceptive in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ismhunter

Ive thought about this alot as it happens.

I recon there is great scope for some good films to be made from alot of the O.T.

I would like to see Tarantino do an interpretation of Judges.

• Advertisement

Also being shown at the Lighthouse Cinema in Smithfield.... and featuring the excellent Michael Lonsdale, fantastic actor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Orson Welles loomed and brooded as Saul in a memorably bad but fun 1960 film of David and Goliath. Evidently it's in the public domain, so if anyone would like to give it a look it can be found here.

The DVD's tricky to track down, but comes in a box set with another slightly odd Welles obscurity (a heavily abridged TV version of King Lear, complete with vintage advertisements) and a decent Hollywood thriller (the only film he directed to turn a profit), The Stranger.

Rotten tomatoes is good but I've found a lot of films will score very highly in the first weeks and then drop after that as more results come in. It can be deceptive in that way.

Still and all. 100%

Still and all. 100%

Yeah, I went to see Predator 2 because it had a rating of 88% after its first week. That rating soon plummeted but not before I wasted €10 on a contrived and humourless film. Not once did anyone say "Get to the Choppa!", "What the Hell are you?" or "What's got Billy so spooked?".

Still, none of this has any bearing on Of Gods and Men which I really enjoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

dvae wrote: »

Tomorrow you are given a chance to write a screen play and direct a movie based on a part of the Bible of your choice.

For me id like my movie to follow the life of one of the apostles before during and after they knew Jesus.
    From all the controversy it already generates, one on Genesis - Creation to Babel - would do the trick.
    Hebrews 11:31 By faith the harlot Rahab did not perish with those who did not believe, when she had received the spies with peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

dvae wrote: »

Tbh for me in 'film world', it's more important of the affect biblical events have on people's lives rather than the biblical events themselves. 'Ben Hur', 'Quo Vadis 'and 'The Robe' spring to mind and I don't think any contemporary director can top these golden oldies...

Advertisement