Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Sponsorship/Extending Visa

Options
  • 21-12-2010 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hiya folks! Im currently in Oz for the last 6 weeks and recently started working in a Civil Engineering job in Regional Australia. My first question is this. The postcode matches whats requested on the Oz Department of Immigration website... but do I have to do actual farmwork/fruitpicking for 3 months to enable me to extend my WHV for a year, even though I am working in Regional Australia?

If after 3/6 months I decide to leave this job, what would my options be? Would I have to do seasonal work for the remaining 3 months to extend my WHV?

And finally, if the company decide to sponser me after 3 months and I leave them after 6 months or a year, what are my options?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

From my understanding, if you work in an appropriate area, you still have to do certain types of work. All the informations available here: http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-second.htm

If for example, in your job, you're working in an office, i dont think there is any chance of you getting your working holiday extension out of their ABN, despite the area code. I'm pretty sure that you have to do some form of primary work, this doesn't necessarily have to be fruit picking, you can work on a farm reconstructing areas of it, maintance etc. You can work as a labourer in some regions and get your visa extension. You can even just drive a tractor on a farm for the three months. You can't however, work in a bar, work in reception do any services style work and get your visa (at least not legally)

In terms of sponsorship I'm not sure what the deal is there, I'm currently looking into the same thing. I have an offer of sponsorship, but wanna do some travelling before that... I'm hoping i can take their offer and maybe go home for christmas then come back and start working (starting 2012 like). Any insights would be helpful to me too

Hope that helped

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Undertow wrote: »
    Hiya folks! Im currently in Oz for the last 6 weeks and recently started working in a Civil Engineering job in Regional Australia. My first question is this. The postcode matches whats requested on the Oz Department of Immigration website... but do I have to do actual farmwork/fruitpicking for 3 months to enable me to extend my WHV for a year, even though I am working in Regional Australia?

First port of call is here, you need to work specified work
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-second.htm
    specified work is listed here
    Only you can tell us if you are eligible
    If after 3/6 months I decide to leave this job, what would my options be? Would I have to do seasonal work for the remaining 3 months to extend my WHV?
    If you want a 2nd year visa, then you must work the 3 months yes, though you may already be qualified ...
    And finally, if the company decide to sponser me after 3 months and I leave them after 6 months or a year, what are my options?
    1) Get a new job which will either take over visa or sponsor you.
    2) Leave

Advertisement