Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgusted with Semester timetable

Options
  • 21-12-2010 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

I am sitting here revising for an exam tomorrow and fell totally disgusted with this years semester timetable which for me runs up to 2pm on the 22nd. This years workload has seen me plonked in front of my computer solidly since 1st December for the final exam preparation. Flatmate's are asking me if I have done my Xmas shopping (they are not students) and I just have to laugh. I haven't even had time to revise properly for all my exams , forget about swanning around town buying presents. I, like many others have a total of 2 days or less to get organised before we head off for xmas (I have less than 24hrs) and I am absolutely throughly exhausted. I'm not even in the mood for xmas now to be honest. This of course cannot be fixed and we will just have to make do.

Does anyone else think that the decision to push forward the semester up to the back end of xmas to be the most inconsiderate and lazy decision ever made by the powers that be at UCD? I'm flippin furious.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Blame the Leaving Cert results being pushed back, not UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

I think that it is impossible to genarate a timetable that will suit everyone.Personally, I like how the semester works out even though the workload I have had is considerably large. You just have to slog through it I guess, console yourself with the thoughts that it isn't just you stressed to the hilt and wait for the relief after. Best of luck with your exam, and Merry Christmas, even if you are not looking forward to it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Raphael wrote: »

I am in year 3 and and Leaving Cert results have nothing whatsoever to do with Year 3. Nothing whatsoever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

colossus-x wrote: »
    I am in year 3 and and Leaving Cert results have nothing whatsoever to do with Year 3. Nothing whatsoever.
    The Leaving Cert results delayed the start of the semester which is why the exams are so late this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Yep, they most certainly do.

Results were pushed back over a week this year due to the exams themselves starting later than usual, as a direct consequence CAO offers, starting and ending dates of term time of semester one were therefore moved to accommodate this.

• Advertisement

...yes. That's true. but they have a lot to do with when they can start term. Since the leaving cert results went out later, offers went out later. With offers going out later, people needed more time to sort out the logistics of going to college.

What would you suggest, starting the higher years 2 weeks earlier so they get to be finished 2 weeks earlier and do their christmas shopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

What would you suggest, starting the higher years 2 weeks earlier so they get to be finished 2 weeks earlier and do their christmas shopping?

That actually would be nice though. Will ya sort that out for me yea? There's this lovely knit cardigan i want to pick up in H&M. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

What, you've only just noticed? You have been busy! ;)

One of my lecturers is originally from Germany, and this semester he expressed some frustration at the system here. When he was at university back home, they had Semester 1 exams around February, rather than at this time. It allowed more time for the knowledge to sink in and to iron out any wrinkles. This cramming for closed-book exams, so close to the semester, means that the exams become a test of your ability to cram. He was asking us about things we had done before, but we couldn't recall them without reminders; he said he had to limit the scope of what he taught this semester, just so we students could retain it, after marking exams in previous years.

Just to make matters worse, four of my six exams were for 100% of the marks = no continuous assessment at all. This is insane for the levels of technical detail involved in 4th year Engineering subjects. By the middle of next semester I'll have forgotten all the details I've crammed and only remember the outlines - but that's OK, because we humans have these things called books, which mean that we don't have to tackle our working lives with every fact, formula and variable in our heads. :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Many people work until 18:00 Xmas eve, not sure I see your point.

They enjoy the couple of days off and do not crib even if it may only be Xmas day itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

bnt wrote: »
    Just to make matters worse, four of my six exams were for 100% of the marks = no continuous assessment at all. This is insane for the levels of technical detail involved in 4th year Engineering subjects. By the middle of next semester I'll have forgotten all the details I've crammed and only remember the outlines - but that's OK, because we humans have these things called books, which mean that we don't have to tackle our working lives with every fact, formula and variable in our heads. :rolleyes:

Quote from Rod Gow (2nd year engineering maths lecturer) this year "I don't really understand this, i took it from a book, in the real world you'll just use computers"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Student in "College requires me to do some work before they give me my degree" shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

In the past 24 hours I have never heard so much moaning on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭FewToLose

Sorry but must beg to differ. My personal experience of UCD orientation was that it was useless; why not merge it with the first week of term? Most people don't move to Dublin till then anyway

The big problem is people from outside dublin trying to organise a move up, finding accomodation etc. I know people who hadn't got it sorted by the time college started, and ended up trying to juggle first 2 weeks of term with couch surfing and jobhunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mynameissarah

I think UCD should merge orientation week and the first week of term, or just get rid of orientation altogether.

I missed my orientation week because it clashed with a holiday we had booked before we knew what universities we were getting into. I can honestly say I missed nothing but a scarf and a speech.

Saying that, it wasn't their fault that the CAO moved things around, the offers only went out on the Monday before registration for first years started this year didn't they? Can hardly have people only getting offers when modules have already been picked, or even into the first week of term!

Saying that I am peeved: I could have had so many extra hours in work but can't now that my exams run until the 22nd. I need them to be on tomorrow or I'll actually flip.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

Could be worse, could be finished at 8 like me

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rorymcgrory

colossus-x wrote: »

Relax. At least theres no job for you at the end

I missed my orientation week because it clashed with a holiday we had booked before we knew what universities we were getting into. I can honestly say I missed nothing but a scarf and a speech.

If you had've gone to your orientation then perhaps you could say you would've missed nothing but a scarf and a speech, as it is your point is moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

It is very difficult to keep everyone happy I suppose.

What are your suggestions?? Starting semester a week earlier? Sure you would have people moan about that one too!

I have two santa believing children, so yeah it was a bit of a nightmare having exams running up till the last minute whilst trying to get the kids santa gifts etc.

But what can you do? Only grin & bear it and get through it as best as you can!
    Its hard to please everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

OSI wrote: »
    Wait, wait, Wait, wait, wait...

Why are you getting Santa's gifts to your ch... Oh. My. God.... Santa's not real!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

oh dear... sorry.. please dont tell anyone I told you:eek: I believe the big man in red comes to those who believe in him.... so looks like u are ok!:D

• Advertisement

Chet T16 wrote: »
    If you had've gone to your orientation then perhaps you could say you would've missed nothing but a scarf and a speech, as it is your point is moot.

I don't believe my point is moot at all.
    I missed it and went into week one as prepared for UCD as anyone who had gone to it, minus my free scarf and a President's welcome.

Nothing done in orientation week that couldn't be done during term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I don't believe my point is moot at all.
    I missed it and went into week one as prepared for UCD as anyone who had gone to it, minus my free scarf and a President's welcome.

Nothing done in orientation week that couldn't be done during term.

Having worked with a lot of first years in the past 2 years, I know that many learn a lot in orientation week, especially those who have no previous family history of college attendance. Even think of it from a practical aspect, is it not better to have a week getting used to UCD without the additional pressure of classes? If you had dealt with the questions I was dealing with, you would know how useful orientation week can be for many students.

You may not have required it, but that does not mean that the week is not of any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Op it could be a lot worse. I know before some of my final exams that my house burned down and I had to take about a month off college to help in the repairs (luckily no one was killed). I had two weeks to finish 4 essays and study for five exams. I came out that semester with an even better GPA than before. If you think I'm telling porkies, Delta Bravo can back up that story. Shit happens, everyone hates exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

Xhristy wrote: »

Oh I appreciate that, but I don't think there's anything done in that week that couldn't be incorporated into other weeks. People coped without orientation week before. I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree.

Btw, in all sincerity, props to you for the mentoring, I think it's a fantastic facility - unfortunately it wasn't provided to my faculty. I wanted to apply to be a peer mentor last year and was informed that there was no such facility for History and Politics students.

Xhristy wrote: »

^This

It was my experience during orientation that made me become a guide and peer mentor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

Advertisement