Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car stuck in snow - recommend a tow company?

Options
  • 21-12-2010 3:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests i need my car to be towed. Its bogged down in ice at the moment, wheels spinning, etc. I don't want to take the chance of leaving it there and not starting it for a few days as it wouldn't be the best for the battery.

Can anyone recommend a good breakdown/tow company in the city that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

get someone with a 4 wheel drive jeep or tractor. it would be cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If the car is just slipping on ice, get some carpet, or the floor mats from inside your car and lay it down under the wheels. It'll get you moving at least.

Failing that, get someone with a tow rope. Using a recovery company will be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I aggree with the lads - if you know anyone with a 4X4 that would be best or chance the floor mats.

Otherwise you could use Fitzpatricks - I have used them a couple of times. I thought they were grand, although I have never used anyone else. Trying to remember but I think it was like 80 from Model farm road to Ballinlough about 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

have you tried not pressing the accellerator down too much.

keep the wheels straight and SLOWLY move off, if required put car mats in front of tyres to get initial grip.

(not trying to be all high horse on you here but if you dont know how to get your car going with a bit of snow around it - maybe its best you stay off the roads for today...and use public transport to get to work - assuming its running ... maybe return to your car with a shovel and clear a path)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

PCPhoto wrote: »
    have you tried not pressing the accellerator down too much.

keep the wheels straight and SLOWLY move off, if required put car mats in front of tyres to get initial grip.

(not trying to be all high horse on you here but if you dont know how to get your car going with a bit of snow around it - maybe its best you stay off the roads for today...and use public transport to get to work - assuming its running ... maybe return to your car with a shovel and clear a path)
    Its parked on a slope at the end of a cul de sac, and i need to reverse backwards up the hill to get out! Its more complicated that you make it out to be. And because its at the end of the road where cars dont drive, there's a good inch of snow lodged under the tyres. I've tried the floor mats but against that hill its futile.

I'll try get a tow rope from the garage up the road.

Thanks for the replies guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Theres mounds of gravel/grit placed around the county get some of that.It would prob be 100 euro to tow you out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

My car has been idle for 2 months, I return tomorrow (if my flight goes!!) but bet the battery will be dead...What are the chances do you think? Got to drive to Wicklow on xmas eve!!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Got a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 with tow rope and am about the town most of tomorrow & Thurs. PM me if you still need a hand. Always found boardsies great help with info etc, so happy to be able to help ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

kingtut wrote: »
    My car has been idle for 2 months, I return tomorrow (if my flight goes!!) but bet the battery will be dead...What are the chances do you think? Got to drive to Wicklow on xmas eve!!

Others can better advise you, but I'd put money on your battery being dead. If you got breakdown cover on your insurance, I'd call 'em for a jump start. A good long drive after you're jump started may recharge the battery...I think, but on that point, really only guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Max001 wrote: »
    Others can better advise you, but I'd put money on your battery being dead. If you got breakdown cover on your insurance, I'd call 'em for a jump start. A good long drive after you're jump started may recharge the battery...I think, but on that point, really only guessing.

My housemate just checked and the battery is dead :(
    I'll get a jump start if and when I get back in!! Flight is tomrrow night I hope!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Try loads of sand in front of the tyres - worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Max001 wrote: »
    Got a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 with tow rope and am about the town most of tomorrow & Thurs. PM me if you still need a hand. Always found boardsies great help with info etc, so happy to be able to help ya :)

Very nice of you Max - fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Definitely try find someone with a 4x4...I'd offer to help but after towing 9 cars out of ditches and up icy hills yesterday my tow rope finally gave in! If I get my hands on one today or tomorrow I'll gladly come help you!

Advertisement